Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Crafts & Hobbies
Crafty Gift Ideas (karma: 10)
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 07:12 PM
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-02-02 14:04:15

Everyone loves a hand made gift, so how about we use this thread to give our ideas and instructions!

Ideas I like:

Painted Photo Frames:

Buy a simple wooden frame (anywhere from $1.00 upwards) and paint it to a theme of the photo, decopage it, or even get hold of a soldering iron, and use it to burn designs into the wood.

Treasure Boxes:

Buy a wooden box, and get pieces of decopage paper (or if you only want to practuce, used tissue paper), tear it into little peices and glue them all over the box. Then if you want to, add a bitof crackling over the top to give it an aged effect.

Cross Stitch Cards:

From an art shop, purches a card which lets you slip a photo in the front section. Instead of placing a photo, cross stitch a desgin, or words to make it that little bit more personal!

Memory Blankets:

This can be left to your imagination really. One way I suggest is make a simple blanket from squares, and make each square represent a special moment, either by embroidering special dates (like anniversaries or birthdates) or even transferring photos to material and using that one a square. The possibilities are endless!

Now that I got you started, please add your own!

31 Replies to Crafty Gift Ideas

re: Crafty Gift Ideas (karma: 2)
By meeshmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1213, member since Tue Jan 28, 2003
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 07:52 PM
A Memory Book: it doesn't have to be huge, but scrap book a couple of pages. Use a different theme for each page. For example: a page using pictures of a camping trip, or a page from girls night out, or a holiday page, etc. You can even keep adding to it, like on every new holiday give them a few more pages to add to the book.

That's all I got for now, but good idea Pokey!
re: Crafty Gift Ideas (karma: 9)
By Myfairlady Comments: 3492, member since Fri Sep 06, 2002
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 07:54 PM
Ooh ooh! I just made something today for a baby shower. It's called a diaper wreath. Here's how I made it:
Materials needed:
-A pack of newborn disposable diapers.
-Pastel curling ribbon
-little baby things to tie onto the wreath:
--pacifiers
--wash cloths
--little sample baby shampoos, powder, diaper ointment, etc
--teething rings/toys
-One wire coat hanger

First: Bend the coat hanger into a circle shape.
Second: Open the diaper and put it on the coat hanger so that the open side is facing out.
Third: Tie the diaper with the curling ribbon TIGHT so that the middle kinks up and the open end flares out. Do this all the way around the hanger. Really squeeze as many diapers as you can onto the hanger so that they will be really tight together.
Curl the ribbon so that it's pretty.
Last: Attach the little baby things with the curling ribbon and curl the ribbon.

Here's a picture of one I found online. At the risk of sounding immodest, I thought mine was prettier than this one! One difference was that I tied the ribbon tighter so that the ends would flare out more. I also did not put all the ribbons on that run from the inside of the wreath to the outside. I just tied it really tight around the "neck" of the diaper, and that was all I needed. Oh, I think another difference is that this picture shows one made with one of those straw wreaths. A coat hanger is much skinnier and so it allows for the diapers to flare out more. It really makes a difference!

Image hotlink - 'http://www.ohbabyshower.com/files/dwreath2.jpg'
re: Crafty Gift Ideas (karma: 1)
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 08:52 PM
I don't have A gift idea. But I love the actual giving of presents. Last Christmas, I got my friend Caroline a necklace and a bracelet made from shells. They didn't have boxes so I had to think of a way to wrap them that she couldn't guess. So first of all, tissue paper to protect them. Then wrapped up in normal wrapping paper the same as normal. Then I found an old shoebox (any box at all, your old mobile phone box. something easy to wrap) and put them inside it (taped down if you want, so if they're 'rattlers' nothing will break) I then wrapped that and put ribbons round it, including a note in the middle of ALL the wrapping paper

"it's just like pass the parcel,
only it's AAALLLL yours!"

really fun to do. Especially if you're going to watch them open it and they discover it's not something big at all! - a nice surprise sometimes.

2nd wrapping idea. - Make your own paper. You know the brown paper used to wrap school books and parcels to go in the mail etc.? Wrap your present with that. Then get a gold pen and draw spiral swirls and other designs on it. finish it off with either some gold ribbon or some of the brown paper cut into ribbons and decorated with pen. Or both! You can make it look really creative and much more like 'I really wanted to give you this present rather than just buy anything and wrap it up with any old paper because I'm obliged to give you a present.'

I love giving people presents and doing stupid stuff that makes the present so much happier! (if you know what I mean) that isn't that expensive to do either! (added bonus!)

Emma.x
re: Crafty Gift Ideas
By Sylphiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1790, member since Sun Feb 09, 2003
On Sat Jan 29, 2005 09:37 PM
That's so cool, Myfairlady! I was thinking it was going to be kind of corny when I read the list, but it's really really cute! I would hang it in a newborn's room for sure :)
By misschristie Comments: 626, member since Thu Jul 25, 2002
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 09:47 AM
Great ideas everyone! I love the diaper wreath!

For Christmas, give out original ornaments. Buy a box of plain balls, then glue gun lace, ribbon, sequins etc. on it to create a one of a kind keepsake.
By Chouplalamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6421, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:51 AM
Hiya

All the ideas are great here!

I was flicking through my friends wicca book, not really paying attention but then i saw some gift ideas.

1) Pot Pourrie. Fill a nice little bowl (you could even decorate it yourself- be creative ;) ) with dried up petals and nice smelling things like that.

2) Make a cornet out of some fancy wrapping paper, it would be nice if you made it yourself with drawn on or painted on flowers or stars etc. and fill it with anything you like: Beads, or beading things you've made, sweets, anything really.

3) Like babe_ballerina, what i did for my mum's birthday last year was a scrapbook of all her photos, even the ones from when she was a wee girl in Ireland, and messages from all her family.
My auntie did a crossword, and since it was my mams 50th my other auntie put in big writing over on page "Recomended reading for the over 50's" And found some pics of books called "Honey, i shrunk my butt!" and "How to avoid constipation in 50 easy steps". Just things like that that will make that person think or make that person laugh ;)

4) If your gift isent really arty but you'd like to give it a little personal touch, create your own wrapping paper. You could even write that person's name in fancy writing.

Isabelle x
By Myfairlady Comments: 3492, member since Fri Sep 06, 2002
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 01:01 PM
Thanks Sylphie! Someone gave me a diaper wreath for my first child and I hung it on the baby's door. I can't tell you how many times I cut something off the wreath in an emergency! I lost all my pacifiers and had to cut one off when the kid wouldn't stop screaming. I ran out of diaper ointment once and had to cut the little tube of ointment off. I needed another teething ring and had to cut it off. All in all, it was a great gift! It saved my life more than once. :D
By Dance_Angel2 Comments: 717, member since Sun Feb 01, 2004
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 06:27 PM
suppresseddancer - I once did the number of wrappings for a friend. She was turning 13 so I wrapped the present 13 times, each layer having a little note, or saying on it. She really enjoyed it and it was so fun to watch her face when she saw yet another layer of wrapping paper. Be sure to use different wrapping papers, or even just two types, alternating to make it more interesting. Tissue paper works nice if you don't want to use a lot of wrapping paper.

Ker
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 06:23 PM
ooh I like that idea!^^

I bought hand made jewelry for my friends this past year for Christmas, but I made the boxes for those items out of old Christmas cards.
Look on www.paperzone.com . . .
I made several Quickie Boxes for them and painted the plain insides
PaperZone is one of my favorite stores.

One super easy craft idea that I love is making personalized magnets.
You need squished (flattened) crystal clear marbles, round magnets, superglue and some paper images the size of the magnets.
I used some old Mary Englebritt calendars and photos of my friends. Cut out the paper image so that it just covers the magnet. Glue the paper to the magnet. Let it dry. Put superglue on the image and press a flattened clear marble on top. Let dry.
Very easy. The distortion from the marble makes the image look much bigger than it is. You can get away with cutting the paper image the size of the marble, but I like it smaller than the marble.
Some people finish these with a bit of braid along the side of the magnet, but I'm not that patient!
By LADY_DIVA Comments: 783, member since Mon Jan 03, 2005
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 04:56 PM
You could always make your own jewellery.
scrapbook some photos in a book and give that.
make your own gift cards
there is justa few ideas i make all my presents that i give
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 07:50 PM
Another few random ideas from moi:

Headscarfs - Many girls love these accessories, and sometimes they have a scrap bin at your local material shop and they will be like, 10c each. Grab a few, sew 'em together (colour co-ordinate or think of a funky pattern or somehting of course) and wolah, a trendy and cute headscarf!

Handmade Cards - I make these a lot because I love giving personal cards. Its very simple. Go to your local newsagents, grab some card board. Cut it to size, fold in half and wolah, you have a base for your card. From here you can add photos, make a 3d effect, glitter, add another coloured cardboard for a 2-toned effect. Get creative! Look inside your craft box for extra lace, cute buttons or patches which might look good on it too!

Beaded Jewellry - This can range from being very simple, to very hard. You can buy some kits which has everything in it and explains it all. However, some times you can make your own by simply buying some fun looking beads, some charms and a clasp to place on the end.

Photo Albums - Esecially good for weddings or baby showers. Buy a very simple photo album, a plain colour preferably and go crazy with little cutouts of things, glitter, paints and give it that personal touch.
aww :)
By PaSSiOnaTe_DrEaM Comments: 345, member since Sun Jan 12, 2003
On Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:31 AM
i adore the baby wreath, i saw something like that on Sex and the City except it was a Diaper Cake haha. there were 3 layers of diapers just like a wedding cake, with things like teething rings on top and on the sides. It was really cute.

Oh and memory books for friends are priceless. 3 of my friends gave it to one of my other friends on her birthday and she said it was the best present she ever got. She got really nice gifts like a digital camera and alotta money and stuff but ours was still the best :)

We went out to dinner, and gave it to her there. It was so cool. She even made 2 pages for that night. She stole a fork (haha) and made the waiter take pictures of us. It was at Jack Astors and for table cloth they use that brown paper that you can write on so we wrote stuff on it and she took it home and used the plain parts as the background to the page. It was soo fun :)
By grace_full24 Comments: 314, member since Wed Oct 20, 2004
On Sat Feb 26, 2005 02:42 PM
I made some lip gloss today. All you have to do is take some vaseline or petroleum jelly and put like teaspoon or in a microwave container. The put it in the microwave stirring every thirty seconds untill it is melted. Add some hot coco mix or some cool aid mix in while stirring untill there seems to be enough in it. Let it cool and put in a little film container. You can even glue some lace on the container or give your friend a whole pack of her favorite lip gloss flavers with personlized labels!
By emmydancer Comments: 35, member since Sun Jan 16, 2005
On Sat Mar 12, 2005 08:06 AM
Another great idea for a gift is to crochet a scarf. All you need is: yarn/string and a crocheting hook!
By Nazneen Comments: 53, member since Wed Oct 13, 2004
On Wed Apr 06, 2005 02:17 PM
My daughter made a treasure box for her best friend and she LOVED it. She took a plain wooden box and cut out pictures and phrases from magazines that went along with her friend's personality. I love gifts like this. It means so much more because you know a lot of thought (and love) went into it.
:)
By Sparky176 Comments: 20, member since Wed Apr 06, 2005
On Tue Apr 12, 2005 01:31 AM
If any of you do scrapbooking and want to give someone a scrapbook, but don't have the time to make them one, my mom n sister take their scrapbook pages and color copy them to make presents for family. Our scrapbooks are 12 x 12, but we copy them to 8 x 8 and put them in an album. It's fairly cheap since the pages are already made, and so personal. The family that we have given them to have loved them!
By soulfiremember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 870, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:36 AM
Edited by soulfire (128741) on 2005-04-23 10:24:39 oops! I spelled some stuff wrong.
For christmas last year I made my mom one of those really soft fluffy scarves. It was quite easy if you know how to knit or chrochet.
all you need is:
1. A couple balls of that yarn like this: Image hotlink - 'http://www.lanagrossa.de/images/produkte/2hj_2004/44.jpg' sort of fuzzy and really soft.
2. crochet hook or knitting needles
4. lots of patients.

All you really do is knit or crochet then and make it as long as you want and as wide as you want.
This is sort of a trying project because it takes long and sometimes you mess up and have to start again but it is such a great homemade gift. A fuzzy scarf is just what someone needs to snuggle their cold nose in! :)

God Bless
Ari
By Dwynwenrebel Comments: 153, member since Tue Mar 08, 2005
On Sat May 07, 2005 01:08 PM
Have you ever heard of salt dough?
Well you can shape the dough in any shape you like then you bake it. It turns hard and then you can paint it.
Once I made a whole load of them for my friend!
By grace_full24 Comments: 314, member since Wed Oct 20, 2004
On Tue May 24, 2005 06:41 PM
Oh! I have another idea, you can buy a cheap hard cover journal then personalize it really cool. Add fake fur, rinesones, ribbone, glitter, puffy paint!
By Pongomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6747, member since Sun Oct 19, 2003
On Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:57 PM
ooo, cool thread! For my little sister's 16th birthday this year, i'm making something really cool.

I bought a big picture frame from target. I put a black poster board in it, decorated with her favorite actors and pictures and stuff, like a scrap book. Looks really cool!

lexi :D
By GooseBerrymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 861, member since Sun Nov 14, 2004
On Mon Jul 04, 2005 09:07 PM
Haha, that diaper wreath is uber cool! I'm totally going to attempt that next time I go to a baby shower! :)

~~Meg
By chompy_cheer2013 Comments: 33, member since Fri Jul 15, 2005
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 09:18 AM
Hey, I like the idea's. I dont have any right now.
-Amanda-
By wolfdancer212member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 249, member since Mon Jul 25, 2005
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:22 AM
I don't know what you would call this, but it's almost like a scrapbook:

Take a bulliton board and put pictures of you and your friend(s) as well as a handwritten letter, a handmade friendship bracelet, and any little momentos that can fit onto it. It makes the perfect sweet sixteen gift, going away gift, or any gift just to have memories of your friendship. As time goes by, you can add more pictures to it or more little knick knacks.
By Luv2Dance10 Comments: 372, member since Sun Jul 25, 2004
On Sun Sep 11, 2005 08:27 PM
I have a gift wrapping idea that I'm planning to do for my friends this year. I'm going to take a tennis ball and cut it open enough to stick a necklace or something in it and then make it look like it's closed and stick it in this huge box and all this padding so it wont move and then they will probably get mad at me, but oh well.

Hopefully it will work,
Luv2Dance10
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch