Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Crafts & Hobbies
Welcome to Crafts and Hobbies! (karma: 1)
By misschristie Comments: 626, member since Thu Jul 25, 2002
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 09:36 AM
Made sticky by linh (3) on 2005-01-30 17:01:02

Thanks to Linh for creating this board, and thanks to everyone who supported the idea in the first place! :D

Basically, this board is for the discussion of anything that could be considered a craft or hobby. This list is a suggestion of what could be discussed here, but is by no means complete:
- sewing
- crocheting
- knitting
- needlepoint
- cross-stitch
- latch-hooking
- weaving
- embroidery
- quilting
- scrap-booking
- paper-tole
- decoupage
- stamping
- embossing
- fabric arts
- stenciling
- ceramics
- home decorating
- dried/silk flower arranging
- model building
- bead work
- stained glass
- glass blowing
- pottery
- jewelry making
- gardening
- woodworking
- metalworking
- etc. etc. etc.

You may post photos of your projects here, ask for help, and share useful and relevent links. Whether you are someone who is considering starting a new hobby, or someone who has been crafty for 20 years, this is the place to share ideas and show off your work!

I think it would be a good idea if we introduced ourselves, and listed our hobbies here. This will give people a good idea of who to go to for help.

I'll start: I'm Christie, and I do beading, cross-stitch, crocheting and scrapbooking.

Thanks again for the new board, and I hope everyone enjoys it! :)

Christie

22 Replies to Welcome to Crafts and Hobbies!

re: Welcome to Crafts and Hobbies!
By Lavendarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1851, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 03:00 PM
Thanks for getting this board made, Christie :D

Ok...let's see. I'm Lavendar and I like knitting, crotcheting, needlepoint, sewing, latchhook...etc, etc, heh.

:)
By meeshmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1213, member since Tue Jan 28, 2003
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 05:35 PM
Hey! I'm Michelle. I like sewing, knitting, latchhook, cross stitching, jewellery making, scrapbooking, etc etc :].
By StarBorn62member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4499, member since Wed Mar 06, 2002
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 05:37 PM
This board is fantastic! :D Great idea, misschristie!

I'm StarBorn62, and I do sewing, knitting, cross-stitch, bead work, jewelry making, home decorating, and gardening. :)
By Dance_Angel2 Comments: 717, member since Sun Feb 01, 2004
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 06:06 PM
HI! I'm Kerry

I enjoy... cross-stitch, knitting, scrapbooking, needlepoint, and hope to learn crocheting soon!

When I happened upon this board I was really excited because earlier today I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if there was a crafts and hobbies board on ddn? then I come on and what do you know!? there it is... Thanks!

Ker
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14381, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 09:42 PM
Heh, I remember not getting much of a response posting things like stencils and shirts in the artwork forum...then we got fashion, but stencils don't belong there until they're actually on the clothing...this will be a fun forum to have. :)
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:49 PM
Hi guys and gals! My names Gail and here's what I do. I love to cross stitch and enbroider. I have a hard time with counted cross stitch so everything has to be stamped. I also rubber stamp on tee shirts, sweat shirts, tote bags and I make greeting cards. I took classes at a stamp store. I make luv beads that you can wear as bracelets or necklaces and hair jewelry with beads. I also love to color and I have adult coloring books from Dover that have snowflakes, butterflys, cats, modern art & other designs. I love all kinds of art work and took 4 years of art in High School. I have a feeling we are going to have lots of fun on this thread!
By Chouplalamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6421, member since Sat Oct 18, 2003
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 08:25 AM
This is an absolutely fantastic idea, Christie!

Im Isabelle, i am 11 and i love to do cross-stitching, scrap-booking& beading. I know basic stitches like long stitch, backstitch, running stitch etc ;)

I would love to learn to crochet and knit- hopefully my mum will teach me when she is not as busy.

Isabelle x
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 06:34 PM
Edited by rallyhopback (81538) on 2005-01-31 18:25:38 misspellings
YAY! I love this new forum!

I do wood-working - making wooden toys, pull toys, rockers, children's step stools, painting easels, etc, I do decorative interior painting (like sponge painting, etc.)
I also like just about anything to do with paper - I've made scrapbooks but I wouldn't say I'm a "scrapbooker", I do invitations, place cards, post cards, greeting cards.
I like to paint and draw, but don't have any training so I rare like what I do.
I want to get into metal working when we finish remodeling the kitchen because I want to make my own cupboard pulls.
I also do tiling and mosiacs and pretty much any home repair that the average smart person would hire somebody else to do.
By incendio Comments: 96, member since Fri Nov 12, 2004
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:59 PM
Great board!

I'm Incendio, and I like to cross-stitch, knit, sew, bead, and paint. I also like origami and making paper books, and as well I make pompon critter magnets. I LOVE crafts!

~incendio
By dancedeb Comments: 32224, member since Sun Jun 27, 2004
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:34 AM
So happy that you came up with the idea for this, Christie. I'm Deb and probably the most un-artistic and un-crafty person on the planet! I have, however, done counted cross-stitching in the past and am interested in learning some new things. One of the Moms at my stuido came in with some beautiful jewelry that she makes, another sits in my waiting area and is making a killing selling gorgeous colorful knitted ponchos and scarves to my students. I figured if they can do it so can I, so will eagerly read this section daily to get ideas and advice. Is anyone here into candle and soap making and if so, how do you get started and where to buy the supplies? We don't have a local craft shop in my town, so maybe some internet sites for this?
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 04:41 AM
I'm Carly, and if it involves making a mess and being creative, I do it :)
By Dynamic_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5453, member since Thu Mar 18, 2004
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 08:58 AM
Hey.

WOW! :) What a great idea for a forum!

I do cross-stich, beading, lacemaking and some Quilling. I really love lacemaing and have been doing it for about 3 years.

~@my~
By calicocat Comments: 20, member since Tue Feb 01, 2005
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:19 AM
Hi, I am Jen and I love to cross stitch and crochet in my spare time. This is going to be an awesome board.
By StArDoM_411 Comments: 186, member since Mon Apr 26, 2004
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 03:25 PM
Hi im dianna. I latch hook, cross stitch, knit, do beading work, and i do that thing on a plastic canvas(i dont remember what its called..i just do it)hehe
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Sun Feb 06, 2005 03:13 AM
I'm Erin, and I like to paint.

Also, I sew my own clothes.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By PaSSiOnaTe_DrEaM Comments: 345, member since Sun Jan 12, 2003
On Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:17 AM
I feel like I'm at Alcoholics Anonymous or something....

Hi, I'm Alex, and I'm an art-aholic. (Hiii Alexxxx) :)

So I'm a big goof and will make something artsy and crafty with anything I can get my hands on. Of course, I neverrr have time to, but I really wish I would.

I paint, draw, scrapbook, greeting cards, random things outta paper, jewellery sometimes and i'm starting to get into making my own clothes or changing up vintage clothes. It's fun :)
I really wanna learn how to crochet now. My grandma will be happy to know that. I also plan to pick up other hobbies :)
By criosamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3252, member since Wed Oct 09, 2002
On Tue Feb 15, 2005 09:01 PM
Edited by criosa (43862) on 2005-02-15 20:51:06
this is so awesome - thanks to whoever got this board organized!

I'm Christy (criosa pretty much everywhere online).

My current craft obsession is KNITTING (and I hope to figure out how to crochet soon)

other crafts I do are: beadwork, sewing/quilting, embroidery, cross-stitch, soapmaking & candlemaking. and I try to do some scrapbooking, but I haven't gotten over-obsessed yet (I think I have one template, colored paper, and some markers. and maybe 5 fun scissors.). and I have lots of rubber stamps, but haven't done too much with them.

I've worked at summer camps and with Girl Scouts for a number of years, so I also know how to make friendship bracelets, basic lanyards, tye dye and lots of other random crafts. (beady critters anyone?!)

oh, and I also keep a couple websites - someone once called us 'online scrapbookers' the way we try to get our blog layouts 'perfect' and stuff. :] I thought that was an interesting observation
Welcome to Crafts and Hobbies!
By Dancinggrlie615 Comments: 433, member since Tue Jul 29, 2003
On Wed Feb 16, 2005 03:36 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Alyssa. I know how to knit and sew. I do know how to crochet, very little though. I also do other crafty stuff, but not as often as knitting and sewing
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Wed Jun 06, 2007 02:10 PM
Edited by Emma (114649) on 2007-06-06 14:15:08
Hey, I'm (obviously) Emma, and while I don't post here very often, I've made:

- Jewellery - necklaces, ear-rings, bracelets
- Bags
- A cushion!
- Scarves
- Various other stuff.

I'm interested in / have a good knowledge of:

- sewing various random things like my ballet shoes, or bits onto clothes.
- knitting I've learnt how to do this a lot, but keep forgetting...
- beading - I've beaded bags before, but never with extensive patterns, and some of my jewellery is beaded
- glass blowing (well, not really, but I've done that once on holiday. It was pretty!)
- making jewellery although I don't get much time to do it...
- I also like making food look pretty, and decorating cakes fancily...
By Jules15 Comments: 173, member since Tue Aug 04, 2009
On Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 AM
Hi I'm Jules and I love to craft!

I used to do a lot of cross stitch and I'm just getting back into it again, I also enjoy papercrafting and am just dabbling in scrapbooking. I used to do quite a lot of sugarcrafting but don't get the time now.

Look forward to spending more time on here!

Jules
By sarahbalera Comments: 868, member since Wed Feb 11, 2009
On Fri Aug 14, 2009 03:32 AM
Hi all, I'm Sarah and I like cross stitching, card making and baking. I'm also a brownie/girl guide leader so I'm always on the look-out for easy to do crafts for our girlies xx
By ClareJulissa Comments: 98, member since Sat Mar 26, 2011
On Sat Jun 25, 2011 05:02 PM
Hi, I'm Clare. :)

I like making natural cosmetics, painting, and sewing.

My main crafty interest is aromatherapy and how this can be used through different mediums, such as salves, lotions, and massage oils.

ReplySendWatch