Forum: General / Tap / Tap

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Tap
The Ultimate Guide for Beginners (karma: 16)
By flexidancer08 Comments: 612, member since Wed Sep 10, 2003
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 01:18 PM
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-04-02 22:23:14 Ask and you shall receive!

Starting to tap dance is a ton of fun!
The sound of the tap shoes are amazing! First of all, let's get one thing straight...

*If you're starting to tap dance JUST for competitions :O then you aren't going to get very far. If all you want are trophies, and ecetera, you'll get so sick of dancing and will probably want to quit. You need to start for the love of dancing! If you love it, you'll never want to stop. If you start for reasons like winning things, you won't love dancing for the actual dancing part!

Now, let's get started!

When starting to tap dance, here are some things that will help you soooooo much! If you do this, the steps will be so much easier and you'll learn to dance A LOT better!

**Always Dance on your TOES!***
-This doesn't mean that your dancing en' pointe! This just means that you don't tap dance flat footed- you dance sort of like you're standing on your tippy-toes. The sound is so much cleaner and has a lot better noise then the flat-footed sound.

***Always LISTEN to the MUSIC!***
-Some people I know don't do this and just do the steps to their own beat and are completely off! You need to listen to the music...FEEL the Music!!! :] Dance with the music...you don't want to be the first person to do the step and be ahead or behind of everyone else. You want to be "One with the Music" and your fellow dancers. :D

***Never, Ever Get Discouraged.***
-Don't ever get discouraged! You can do it- it takes practice and time. No one can just put on the shoes and dance like Shirley Temple...unless they have magical tap shoes or something...but anyway :]... If you are determined to become a good tap dancer, then just have fun and dance! Practice and put on some fun music. You always want to have a good time...you want to enjoy it!

Some Really Good Resources!
This is a really nice resource for beginners. It's the One and Only...Vance's Fantastic Tap Dictionary. It has everything you can possibly imagine in there! :)
Here is the link... www.theatredance.com . . .

Also, a place to get good-quality tap shoes in all of the super brands, with super-de-dooper prices, go to Zappos.com!
Here is the link...
Womens: www.zappos.com . . .
Mens: www.zappos.com . . .

And, last but not least, this website has great video clips that show you how to do certain tap steps! And, plus, it's just really fun to watch and hear!
Here is the link... www.offjazz.com . . .

Well, I hope that this post helped some of you. There's not much here, but what is on here is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to your tap dancing future! :]

Also, I have a website I'm still working on, but it has TAP, JAZZ, BALLET, POINTE, LYRICAL, and lots of other stuff on there! It's pretty cool! Check it out and tell me what you think...
geocities.com . . .

Its not done yet, but its on its way!

Well...

Remember...always have fun! That's the main thing! Practice, work hard, and enjoy yourself.

-FlexiDancer08

65 Replies to The Ultimate Guide for Beginners

re: The Ultimate Guide for Beginners
By Dance_Angel2 Comments: 717, member since Sun Feb 01, 2004
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 06:48 PM
Nice Job Flexidancer! This should be really helpful for new tappers!

Another tip, think LIGHT on your feet as it will make it look easy to people watching you.

Also, SMILE! for the same reason above. Also people will enjoy your dancing more if you look like you're having fun.

Ker
By TapperGirl Comments: 747, member since Thu Jun 17, 2004
On Mon Jan 31, 2005 08:33 PM
This is great! Maybe it should be a sticky?
I dance mainly in competitions, and I love the thrill of performing onstage...
Another thing, bend your knees slightly and have good posture - the bent knees will help to beat out the steps, and posture makes you nicer to look at when dancing!
Good job, karma for you!
By specialballerina Comments: 2303, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:49 PM
I think this should be made a sticky. You have put the basic advice simply, which I like. I really enjoyed watching the tap videos.
By King_of_Tap Comments: 71, member since Sun Mar 20, 2005
On Sat Apr 02, 2005 08:40 PM
Hey! Thank you so much for this information. I agree with Tappergirl! This should be a sticky!

Thanks for posting it,

Image hotlink - 'http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-018.gif' King_of_Tap Image hotlink - 'http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-018.gif'
By red_toenails Comments: 11, member since Sat Apr 09, 2005
On Wed Apr 13, 2005 09:53 AM
AWSOME!! I would give you a karma if i was a full member!!! thank-you for the great advice
ange
By ShiMMy13 Comments: 159, member since Wed Apr 13, 2005
On Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:12 AM
Yes, that defintitley deserves KARMA! (sorry im still a new member) But i have been thinking about taking starting tap for awhile now and that gave me a lot of encouragement. Thankssss!!
By kristinasisak Comments: 351, member since Wed Nov 03, 2004
On Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:00 PM
thank you for the info. i found the links to be of great help!
By neona299 Comments: 13, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:56 PM
Hey thats good advice. I just started tap and i've been get really frustrated and dicouraged cos i cant this step and your advice has helped alot. thanks!!!!
By Opera_Jill Comments: 7, member since Fri May 27, 2005
On Fri May 27, 2005 11:12 PM
Thanks! That is very helpful. I am starting Tap this summer at a community college. I will keep this advice in mind. Thanks again!

Opera_Jill
By WingQueen Comments: 126, member since Sat May 14, 2005
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:30 AM
Nice Sticky!
i really do think that this will help any new dancers... i didn't put myself in dance classes, my mom did i was wearing out the toes of all my shoes from standing on my tippy toes and such so i guess i've always had a love to dance, even if i didn't end up doing ballet anymore.... Also when your on stage dont make ugly or concentrating faces it makes you look like what you are doing is not fluid and light but hard and ungraceful...
~WingQueen~
By TapOutLoud Comments: 995, member since Sat Mar 12, 2005
On Sun Jun 12, 2005 09:00 AM
wow... this is great!... you really put alot of time and effort into this... i want to start tap next year and this is really going to help me... THANKS!
By TapN4u Comments: 23, member since Mon Jun 06, 2005
On Tue Jun 14, 2005 03:50 PM
I love how you put the basics in tap for beginners. I love tap and will keep your post in mind when I'm teaching the beginners in the fall. Very well put! Tap on!
By aprilmay13135 Comments: 72, member since Wed Jun 08, 2005
On Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:50 AM
I loved your website! And your tips are definitely really helpfull. I can't wait until your website is complete! I would like to see more written out steps and tips, you're such a good instructor!
Wow!!!!This will definetly help
By watchmeshake4u31 Comments: 24, member since Sat Jun 11, 2005
On Wed Jun 22, 2005 01:46 PM
Hello,

Thankz for your guide for begginers. I'm about to start tap, ballet, and Jazz this fall and im 12. I danced for 2 months when I was five and then I decided to stop. Now i really wished i didn't I hope you advice helps me in the advanced class this year ( BFF'S mom is the coach and the lady that runs the studio is my neighbor). I have to start learning this summer with my BFF so i can get down the basics of everything. send me a private messasge if you have any ideas for a tap/jazz rutiene for toxic by Brittany Spears---Thanks
By danceenthusiast Comments: 16, member since Sat Jun 25, 2005
On Sat Jun 25, 2005 01:44 AM
Awesome, and I love your website! keep up the great work!

dE
By elinzmemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Fri Nov 12, 2004
On Sat Jun 25, 2005 06:06 AM
That's a really nice post! Thanks for the extra inspiration I am already so into it and that just added on extra passion!!! :D
can't wait to see your website all done.
By MrEd3000Premium member Comments: 73, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 05:46 PM
Although I was taught years ago to only tap on my toes, I have learned over the years to make my students that there are different ways of tapping. In the hoofing style, ball changes, time steps, and countless other steps are effective when done flat footed because the tapper is trying to achieve a certain accent or emphasis that is different from the ball of the foot. I now start a student's first tap class in the following manner:"There are two popular styles of tap. One is done up on the balls of your feet, and the other allows you to use the whole foot for a different type of sound. We're going to start by learning to dance on the ball of the feet. Later on, we'll be able to do some tap using the whole foot, but it's going to be easier to go from the ball of the foot method to the flat foot, than the other way around." I have benefitted from many tap workshops that recognize hoofing as well as the contemporary "Broadway" style of dancing and I feel that students should be made aware of both.

Hope this is seen as adding to the post as opposed to trying to go against it.

MrEd
Miami
By pirouette_7 Comments: 28, member since Wed May 25, 2005
On Tue Jun 28, 2005 07:53 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I'm starting tap in september and I really needed some tips. now I'll start class and look as though I have some idea of what I'm doing.
By Greenish Comments: 44, member since Sat Jun 04, 2005
On Tue Jul 05, 2005 01:45 PM
Thankyou! I'm thinking of starting tap and this will help me a lot.
by the way, I really like your website so far.
This is a great, encouraging post.
By brikini21 Comments: 107, member since Tue Jun 21, 2005
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:10 AM
I just love the video clip resource you provided. Thanks so much for this. K...I'm gonna go practice now. Ha!
ultimate guide
By javahart Comments: 64, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Fri Jul 08, 2005 09:41 AM
I loved the links, thank you
By Rouxz Comments: 175, member since Tue Jul 05, 2005
On Wed Jul 13, 2005 06:40 AM
Excellent post! I am a interested begginer to tap and the advice was on "pointe". I will be sure to let you know how it turns out! Thanks again!
Rouxz
By dANCER101kcgmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 236, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:42 AM
wow this is really good for new tappers!! bravo flexidancer!!
By eagosti Comments: 18, member since Sun Aug 07, 2005
On Sun Aug 21, 2005 03:14 PM
thanks so muc his start tap and september this should really help
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch