Forum: Arts / Diaries

Diaries
Aren't diaries a continum? FLOODING is inconsiderate. Consolodate your thoughts. (karma: 5)
By tutufun Comments: 10793, member since Wed Sep 10, 2003
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 01:07 AM
Made sticky by MIClogger (28613) on 2005-04-04 08:02:51

Aren't the diaries you can buy either ONE year diaries or FIVE year diaries?

Why start and new thread for every issue/thought/topic?

It just seems rude.

It's called flooding.

And it's not allowed on this site.

TUTUFUN

19 Replies to Aren't diaries a continum? FLOODING is inconsiderate. Consolodate your thoughts.

re: Aren't diaries a continum? FLOODING is inconsiderate. Consolodate your thoughts.
By SaltWatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3297, member since Thu Jan 08, 2004
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 02:24 AM
Oy, I was so about to post this Tutufun. I 100% Agree with you. Five diary posts on one board isn't fair. It boots off other entries that still deserve to be on page one.

Besides, arn't diaries supposed to be continued in the same book? YES. So to continue diary entries on the same thread seems to be quite appropriate.

I *big puffy heart* You tutu.
re: Aren't diaries a continum? FLOODING is inconsiderate. Consolodate your thoughts.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9026, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 04:25 AM
I make a few. I'm sorry :( I didn't mean to flood. Generally I can;t be bothered going back a page, and finding my thread and posting.

I'm sorry :( I'll try not to anymore.
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:35 PM
Thank you TutuFun!
I agree. In my opinion, your diaries are a perfect example of how to use this forum. Not everybody has a need for several diaries though - I like how yours are separated by topic, it makes sense. People should have just one diary, or a few if needed to keep topics seperated.

If your diary gets bumped down and lost, you can easily get back to it by clicking on your user name and going to your summary page. Then click on Diaries and you'll pop right over to your diary.
By LADY_DIVA Comments: 783, member since Mon Jan 03, 2005
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 03:22 PM
Deffinately agree. everyone deserves a chance and this doesnt allow people to do that while people are hogging it. Hopefully your post will change things.
By pointeballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1040, member since Tue Nov 11, 2003
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 06:03 PM
Edited by pointeballerina (77640) on 2005-02-01 17:53:22
Oh I am SO sorry!! I didn't know you had to post on the same thread. :( I'm not going to do it anymore. Phew. Thanks for the heads up! Once again I'm real sorry...

*~PB~*
By Fouette_Forever Comments: 4579, member since Sat Jan 05, 2002
On Tue Feb 01, 2005 07:15 PM
Yeah...for the most part I agree with the post continum thingy.

However sometimes it just makes more sense to start a new thread ie: something really drastic has just happened and your former post was about pink bunnies and lollipops, or your last post was 8 pages back.

But for the most part...I concur.

Sarah
By specialballerina Comments: 2303, member since Fri Oct 22, 2004
On Wed Feb 02, 2005 03:08 AM
Thankyou tutufun. Yet another neccessary thing that you have brought to all our attention. In this board I have seen a lot of this going on, and it is just silly and annoying. Everybody should create their owm diary with a neautral/general name, and write in it as they please, even if it is 8 pages back.

This should be a stick, so people know the guidlines here.

Thankyou.
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Wed Feb 09, 2005 08:18 PM
Edited by suppresseddancer (114649) on 2005-02-09 20:11:19 p.s.
Yea, I agree, it should be made into a sticky, along with your diaries, as the perfect example (kidding)

Emma.x

P.s. I hope it's ok that I posted a vote on your diaries? PM me if it's not.x
By Rubberbandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4505, member since Fri Dec 05, 2003
On Fri Feb 11, 2005 03:59 PM
Yes I do agree with you that normal diaries are a continium. Now I'm not condoning flooding the boards I'm just saying there are methods to the madness.

For example I have been on DDN for over a year and have only posted 2 diaries on completely different topics months apart so obvioulsy mine couldn't be a continuem.

I think a good reason for posting a new diary thread is so people can see right away what your talking about and offer some advice and support.

Your diaries are like most people's diaries just chatting about your life and daily events but for me its more like random vents lol.

So yes I agree with you if someone is talking about the same topic in all the threads she/he has created it should all be under one thread but there is a purpose to multiple threads.
On Fri Feb 11, 2005 04:27 PM
Edited by tutufun (73508) on 2005-02-11 16:17:18
This thread is not directed to a member such as yourself, who only posted two diaries in as many years. One day, there were five threads by the same author on page one.

I would imagine that someone wishing advice and support would post under the ADVICE forum.

Even if a members posts rants on different subjects, readers that are interesting in reading the musings will know that an addition has been to the diary because the thread is now near the top or elsewhere on page one or two.

It seems to me, that the ADVICE forum and DIARIES forum serve differnt purposes.

A DIARY, by definition, is a record of events, transactions, or observations kept daily or at frequent intervals.

Diaries are not, as a rule, kept by topic. They are a compulation of events, in chronological order.

TUTUFUN
By ItchyTorsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 887, member since Tue Jan 11, 2005
On Fri Apr 08, 2005 01:23 PM
Thank you for posting that! It is quite unfair to other members who wish to post their diaries if the entire board is hogged by the same people. I hope that this post will make people think before posting a new thread! :)
By SnowWhitemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7666, member since Sun Oct 27, 2002
On Wed Apr 13, 2005 04:41 AM
Hehehe, it makes me laugh that the first 5 posts on the Diaries forum at the moment are yours tutufun :D

Nevertheless, you make a good point and I agree with you 100%.

BB
On Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:38 PM
lol...I noticed that too. Keep in mind that one diary was on page three and another on page two, when I updated them.

Rather than starting a new thread everytime I have something pithy to say, I consolodate my thoughts.

I have noticed that more members now have diaries with multiple pages. I think that's a good thing.

I also enjoy reviewing my consolodated diaries. It's the historical documentation of my life, the good, the bad and the ugly!

TUTUFUN
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6898, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Tue Apr 19, 2005 07:26 AM
The point of a diary - Alyrie posted this and I thought that it tied in well with this sticky.

My diaries are full of my frustrations with life, I generally prefer to pour my heart out on paper (so to speak) and that really gets the weight of me, To me, a diary is for clearing my head in relation to anything that's going on with my life, my feelings, my work, etc. but while I ask a lot of questions in some posts, I am asking myself, or they are rhetorical, but it's really good when I receive advice from others who are going through the same thing and making me feel less alone. I need to review my diaries. I have posted a few, when I have felt that things in my life had changed, but I think I should maybe start up something slightly more topic related, as in actual paper diaries I do this too, I have a book that is random musings, and my feelings that surface over something more personal I write on single sheets of paper and keep them in a stack in my drawer, because I like to mix them up and see if I really have resolved anything.

Emma.x
By queenpisces34member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 189, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Sun May 08, 2005 07:50 AM
I'm glad I read this before I decided to post a diary.
By tutulessmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5351, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Sun Jun 12, 2005 09:59 AM
Well, if and when I start a thread on diaries, it's usually about a certain event in my life. I am not motivated enough to keep a whole diary on here on top of my lj and what not. However I can assure you that my life isn't exciting enough to have 5 posts on page 1 ;)
By abbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2717, member since Fri Oct 04, 2002
On Sat Jul 09, 2005 09:38 PM
Wait a minute... what's this tingly feeling I have inside? Great scott... I think i'm in love. :)
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Thu Sep 27, 2007 01:00 PM
I have a question. I would love to start a diary titled "Random thoughts" or somthing like that. each day I would post a quote or somthing someone said, and put my view on it.
But I would also like a personal diary. Am I allowed to make these 2 seperate? or should I combine them?
By behappy_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 662, member since Sun May 11, 2008
On Sat Jun 28, 2008 08:10 PM
Great! It's not fair to start a new thread every day.

ReplySendWatch