Forum: Ballet / Ballet - General

ARABESQUE GUIDE (with helpfull drawings inside) (karma: 30)
By bluebirdballerinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 09:27 AM

I was always working so har on arabesques because there are soo many things to keep in mind .. and I realized many others here seem to have problems with that, too.
As I improved a lot I noticed all the things I did wrong at the beginning and tried to make it all visible in drawings:

first of all an arabesque how it should be (maybe proffessionals, teachers or more advabced dancers could add more important things to it??? I'm only a late-re-starter ;))
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_185926.jpg'

lets start with the common faults and how to correct them (first a picture of the fault, then one of the correction):
first of all the supporting leg:
TURN OUT
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_184818.jpg'
always remember, as in every ballet position, to turn out your feet without forcing the turnout... tips for turn out excercises can be found here in the stickys

OVER THE BOX
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_184956.jpg'
generally en pointe try to go over the box... if that just won't be possible try to get new pointes... this was my problem once... and this does not have to do anything with high and good arches but with strength

nw I go on with the working foot / leg

TURN OUT
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_184628.jpg'
always turn out ...same as supporting leg

WINGING
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_184354.jpg'
to make the line clear you have to wing your foot...that means to strech it to the top...not let it hang around unstreched

now talk about the
KNEES
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_185422.jpg'
fully strech your knees, don't lt them bent, that would cost you the strentgh you need to hold your arabesque for long and would break the lines

HIPS
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_185604.jpg'
always make shure your hips are square, to check that watch your arabesque facing the mirror

UPPER BODY/ BACK
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_184112.jpg'
pul up your upper body and try not to lean forward...that will lead to less high extension but it is much more importent to hae a straight upper body than high extension... when you'll get moreback strentgh later your extensions will go higher and higher again...be patient!
and try not to turn your upper body: keep it totally in profile!

SHOULDERS
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/bluebirdballerina/2005_0115_185216.jpg'
make shure your shoulders are relxed, down and square... imagine to lenghten your neck, put your shoulders down... even in fifth! don't let them shrug

ARMS
try not to get you front arm higher than eye level,keep your arms and fingers relaxed but not hanging, shoulders of couse down

well, I ope I could help some people (and that my scetches and explanations are clear?)...please critique, correct and add everything I forgot!!
Greez,***JANA***

20 Replies to ARABESQUE GUIDE (with helpfull drawings inside)

re: ARABESQUE GUIDE (with helpfull drawings inside)
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 09:46 AM
*clapps*

Really good! I´m sure it will help many people here. Your drawings are really clear and they explain it very good.

Kathy
By Nonamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:30 AM
These are great drawings, thankyou for taking the time to do them. Like a lot of people, i'm still trying to remember everything involved in arabesque's! So it's very helpful, thanks again :D
By Starlitt
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:43 AM
Wow, did you draw all that? They're great! Thanks for posting this great info.
By Hip2hopgirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 01:06 PM
Wow those are really good drawings :) and they explain exactky how to achive a perfect square and balanced arabesque ;) I think that I deffinetly have to work on the hip being square thing :] lol... Thanks so much and I deffinetly see Karma on its way!

Hugs ~Hip2hopgirl~
By tutusnpointeshuzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 03:26 PM
wow!! thats great...im sure many people will be happy to see this. i just have one comment. when i was in class the other day and we were doing arabesques, my teacher said that your hip does lift a little bit naturally in arabesque because of the way we are built. i mean i know you dont want your hips to be majorly lifted but they will lift even the slightest bit naturally.

~tutusnpointeshuz
By RainbowStarzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 03:27 PM
Wow, these are so helpful and you are a great artist.

I'm gonna go work on my arabesque now, karma :)

*Rain*
By DanceChica02member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 04:23 PM
This is amazing! Wow what a fantastic drawer you are, you're talented in just about every artistic area, aren't you!? ;) I'm sure this will help many people, you did a wonderful job!
By lilygal09member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 08:07 PM
I think that is so cool of you to post something like that. It really looks at pretty much every area of the arabesque.
The only thing that threw me off was that I was always taught to look over the hand but I guess there are many ways to teach it. Thanks so much, it was very helpful!

-danae
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 04, 2005 08:27 PM
Karma for you! This was an amazing post, I really need to go work on my arabesque. It's baaaad. :(
By ballet_lover15member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 05, 2005 07:23 AM
Great post! It's good to have everything you need to think of all together. Karma for you and I agree with the others: you are an amazing artist!
By dancegirl90member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 05, 2005 07:55 AM
Wow Bluebirdballerina you're an amazing drawer ! You've got some real talent there ! :D Thank you so much for this post. Have to give you karma !
Love, Dancegirl90
By beaubowie
On Sat Feb 05, 2005 09:53 AM
Wow, those are greattt drawings! Thanks a lot for this and karma for you!
By Candlenigh_Chaos
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 08:04 AM
Wor... thz for posting this , and i m sure u r a good artists... ur drawing so good .
By valerie9
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 08:29 AM
Excellent drawings, great post

it`s karma time!
By balletchick34member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 05:24 PM
thanx so much! karma!
By Asukamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 06:34 PM
Wow! Amazing work!!! I can't give u a karma because I'm just a new member. But your post will help me a LOT!! you're a great artist.
By DancingGiant
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:16 PM
Very informative. Thanks for taking the time to do this!
By Danseusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 PM
That's wonderful, bluebird! Karma if you drew those by yourself- you're a wonderful artist! Great explaination, no matter how technically advanced you are.

Byw the way, can anybody explain to me the anatomy in squaring the hips? I don't fully grasps the concept of how to get it, or the feel of it. help, anybody?
By liyah14
On Tue Feb 08, 2005 02:04 PM
Wow this is one amazing guide!! If its not a sticky it should be. The drawings are lovely, thanks for taking the time and sharing with all of us, once i get a printer im gonna put this on my wall for future reference!

Liyah14.
By bluebirdballerinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 09, 2005 02:36 AM
wow..thanks for all your nicecomments...I thought I explained everything wrong ;)... I just drew those pictures to remind myself of all those things... and about the squared hips... they can't be totally square, thats true, especially when you get your leg very high, but you can try to keep them on one imaginary line that is almost parallel to the floor... you can fix that by facing the mirror...tjen you see what your hips are doing ;)
greez, Bluebird

ReplySendWatch