Forum: General / Hip Hop / Locking

Who is your fav. Campbellock Dancer (i.e. original member of The Lockers)?
By Boogiewalker34
On Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:01 PM

Ok guys, here's another real Locking-related post, brought to you by yours truly...

So, who is your favorite O.G. "Campbellock Dancer"(i.e. the Lockers)? For further bonus points, please describe WHY said person is your favorite...

Here goes mine: My favorite O.G. "Campbellock Dancer" (the Lockers) is probably Adolfo "Shabba-Doo" Quiñones. Perhaps you might know him better as "O-zone" from the 1980's Golan-Globus breaksploitation films "Breakin'" and "Breakin' 2: The Electric Boogaloo".

Why is Shabba-Doo my favorite?: I like his funky, quick style. What kinds of things do I like about his style?: I like his crispness, the funkiness of how he executes variations on his wrist rolls and just his flexibility and phrasing. Plus his lanky build accentuates his locking well (adds to his funk)...

Close other options/"honorable mentions": Don "Campbellock" Campbell (Hat-tricks & character), Toni Basil (lyrical, ballet-inspired locking moves & spins), Fluky Luke (acrobatic moves), plus the locker in the red apple cap and vest in the CBS Television Special "90 Minutes Live" (is it Alpha-Omega Anderson? Tony Go-Go? Someone else I'm completely forgeting? I don't know, but if someone knows, please tell me! If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, go to lockerlegends.com and order the Lockers episode 200 (you'll see the part I'm talking about on that video...))

Ok, well, let's hear from some of you guys. I'm hoping some of the OG's on the forum will contribute (DocLock?)...

peace,

G-boogie, the boogiewalker

4 Replies to Who is your fav. Campbellock Dancer (i.e. original member of The Lockers)?

Go check out the lockerlegends.com site!
By DocLock
On Fri Feb 11, 2005 02:02 PM
www.lockerlegends.com

Definitely a source to check out to learn about the TRUE originals of this dance. Best yet, order their video!!

Yo Boogie, I had too many favorites! They were all the best in my book!

PEACE
re: Who is your fav. Campbellock Dancer (i.e. original member of The Lockers)?
By Invent
On Fri Feb 11, 2005 03:05 PM
I'd have to say Toni Basil... purely on the fact that she showed people that Streetdance was a valid artform.

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the Choreographer's Ball in Hollywood a few weeks back, and there, Toni Basil received a Lifetime Acheivment Award for her contributions to the dance world.

A white woman with classical dance training being one of the best known streetdancers in the world....

Seems like an unfathomable thought... but THIS was Toni Basil. And she fought for our dances (and hers) just as hard as anyone else out there, and helped to get them recognized as an art that takes talent.
Thank you Toni Basil!!!
Invent
By Brittmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 13, 2005 05:23 PM
Hey

I would say Leo 'Fluky Luke'Cougarcop/Williamson. I met him a couple summers ago, and hes so wicked. I also met Don Campbel and he was a big inspiration. but i got kinda close to Leo, and i was going to join a dance troup of his. Unfortunatly i couldnt because i would have had to move to California... and it wouldnt have worked out. but yea... i'd say Leo :) hes so funny, and so talented.

britt
By MrKomedy
On Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:22 AM
I vote for Penguin aka ReRun.

He was all character and always told stories on the dance floor.

ReplySendWatch