Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3
Help me settle a jazz terminology dispute (karma: 1)
By OnPointeDance
On Fri Feb 11, 2005 09:48 AM
Locked by Theresa (28613) on 2006-02-19 16:40:11 locked, to make sure that new topics don't get hidden by older ones!

Recently there was a friendly dispute among dancers regarding the correct/technical name for a jazz move. Basically the move is a jazz split in the air...a TURNING JUMP where the front leg is extended straight and the back leg is bent into attitude.

Dancers labeled the move everything from a barrel turn, to a coffee grinder, to a piroutte foutee, to a jazz split jump. I was surprised that the majority felt it was a barrel turn, which I always thought to be a turn on l'air with both legs bent and focus to the ground. Am I right??Anyway, could someone please give me the proper TECHNICAL term for the movement mentioned above. Thanks so much!

69 Replies to Help me settle a jazz terminology dispute

re: Help me settle a jazz terminology dispute
By cibodance
On Sun Feb 13, 2005 09:41 PM
Well if it's the move I'm thinking of, I don't call it by any of those names! lol! You generally chaine into it right? If yeah, I've always been taught to call it a barignakov (sorry about the spelling I'm usually pretty good when it comes to dance terms, but I'm not sure about this one..) Sometimes we can it a turning jete... Hope I helped in some way!
By Studio1
On Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:23 PM
Oh dear- I have always called it a 'Back Stag' - and that's all I have ever heard it called. Why won't someone just step up to the plate and REGULATE jazz terms across the board? May be I will do it. Do I have any supporters?
By dixietessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Feb 14, 2005 03:17 PM
we call it a turning split jump/ turning jete with the back leg in attitude
By jruhl
On Thu Feb 17, 2005 05:58 AM
turning jete.....
By xodncnblondi13member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 19, 2005 08:18 PM
I agree w/ studio1
they should make all jazz terms the same

at my studio some teachers call that leap a capezio and some call it a turning leap w/ back attitude, or a turning attitude leap, and lots of variations of that.

but i dont think there is a specific name for it.

i have had so many teachers call moves by different names
By natalie_3
On Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:09 PM
We call these single stags. If you do it with both legs in attitude we call it a double stag.

A coffe grinder to usis when your on the floor sitting on haft point on one leg and the other is straight out to the side and you spin the straight leg around and under you.

Sometimes we do barrel stag leaps. This is where we do a single stag leap but fan your front leg and arch your back when you jump.
By BrashDancer
On Sun Feb 20, 2005 06:35 PM
I agree with Studio 1 when calling it a "back stag" ( well, she is my teacher. lol) Also I have heard ballet teachers call it a coupe' jete
By FabulousFeet
On Tue Feb 22, 2005 06:14 AM
I don't call it any of those things, but right now I'm a little tired and I can't think of what we call it. We might not even have a name for it!

But OnPointeDance - wouldn't it be a turning Leap? Because my whole life I have been taught that a jump is two feet to two feet, a hop is one foot to that same one foot, and a leap is one foot to the opposite foot.
By ballet_baybie
On Sat Feb 26, 2005 02:41 PM
at my studio we call it a "brushnakov", not sure about the spelling, but i spelt it how you pronounce it
xox melissa
By Dancer904Premium member
On Sat Feb 26, 2005 09:17 PM
at my current studio it is called back stag, but at a studio I used to dance, it was called turning jete. I cant personally see how they can call that a barrell turn, but a lot of other other terms I can see it being called.
By MissG5678
On Mon Feb 28, 2005 05:15 PM
if its the jump im thinking of then what we call it is a callipso..i maybe wrong but if it is what i think it is thats what it is lol
By DancingFool5678
On Fri Mar 04, 2005 02:19 PM
I'm not really sure if this is what you are talking about, but at my studio we call them callipsos. I know a lot of other places that call them that as well.
By dancerina1186
On Mon Mar 07, 2005 03:33 PM
We call them (tombe) coupe jetes because it's basically the same as a ballet coupe jete, but bigger.
By Ishkabiblelymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 07, 2005 09:09 PM
I agree with studio1, jazz really needs an official set of names for moves. It gets kind of annoying to have to describe the move because no one calls it what you do.

Also, I second fabulousfeet, it is a leap, not a jump.
By beth06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 12, 2005 03:32 PM
i don't know about everyone else, but we've always called that a calipso
By dreamingofdance
On Sun Mar 20, 2005 09:35 PM
You definately have a supporter here! What about ballet? I only started a couple of years ago and am 16. Ballet terms are so confusing especially when u are put in a advanced class and the defenitions for one term is in french, and the defenition for that term is in french. its like a never ending cylcle!!!
By tiny_dancer32
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:55 AM
My dance team calls them attitude jetes. But i have heard it be called so many different things!!
By dancincurls2
On Tue Mar 22, 2005 09:58 PM
I know it as a Barshinokov (spelling) too.
By xemmax
On Thu Mar 24, 2005 02:17 PM
if its what i think you mean then I've always called it a barrel turn
loadsa luv emma xxx :D
By Lives4Dance
On Fri Mar 25, 2005 07:41 PM
Ok, what you are describing to me in my mind, is what my team calls a chaine calypso, my team,director, and studio dance teacher, told me that when i asked so, thats what i thinK!!!!
By Studio_x0x_Dance
On Sat Apr 09, 2005 09:24 PM
We call it a turning jete.. in this case with back leg in attitude..We use the term barril turn for the tourning jete where both legs are bent.
By ChicaEnPointe
On Wed Apr 13, 2005 02:04 PM
We call them turning jete's with back attitude at my studio
Page:
Page 1 of 3: 1 2 3

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed