Forum: Ballet / Character Ballet

Page:
Page 4 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
ms Nowosad
By balletfreak89 Comments: 2, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Fri Apr 22, 2005 07:29 AM
OMG are you serious?? I just had my grade 7 exam yesterday and she was my examiner too!! And I'm all the way on the other end of the globe [i live in malaysia]. big tall german lady right? =D
skirts
By wickedballerina7 Comments: 1, member since Tue May 24, 2005
On Tue May 24, 2005 12:02 PM
I don't really understand why are the skirts such a big deal?? and the ribbons? It sounds like a lot of fun tho!! I'm really excited to start that this summer!! YAY
re: for people who dont know about character this is for you!
By ilurvedance Comments: 489, member since Thu Jun 02, 2005
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 01:24 AM
I have seen people do character dancing before but have not started anything like this before. It seems interesting... :D Hoping to try!

_ilurvedance_
By dancingqueen18 Comments: 481, member since Sat Jun 11, 2005
On Sat Jun 18, 2005 04:37 PM
Most of the kids that do charecter in my studio wear regular balet shoes instead of charecter shoes unless otherwise instructed.
By LilaButJaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1197, member since Mon Sep 27, 2004
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 09:37 PM
ahahaha not to be confused with demi-character...cos thats portraying a character...
By Shirvbika Comments: 17, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Tue Jun 28, 2005 03:16 PM
well in my old school we used to have character but in my new school only the advanced girls have.. why??
By silvery_starsPremium member Comments: 1934, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Tue Jun 28, 2005 04:00 PM
princessroja:

You learn the national folk dance of the particular country you're studying. Italians dance the tarantella, Spanish people do flamenco, the Polish do the mazurka (I think), Scottish people dance highland style, etc.
By mszy Comments: 42, member since Thu May 19, 2005
On Tue Jul 05, 2005 03:42 AM
can you show me a picture of character shoes ? thank you .
By dancingbeth Comments: 2252, member since Sat Jul 09, 2005
On Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:16 AM
I follow the BTDA syllabus at my dance school in england, but we do character and that is like ballet with mime. Character in RAD is similar to our national dance, which is performing and learning about dances from different countries around the world.
By dancea5678member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 568, member since Tue Nov 18, 2003
On Wed Jul 13, 2005 09:54 AM
Wow!!!!!

This sounds like fun. I've taken Irish dancing for 8 years and I have always wanted to learn about other cultural dances. Just this past spring semester for my college ballet class our teacher had a subsitute and she taught us a little about Romanian dancing. In elementary school k-5 we learned about country sqaure dancing and country line dancing.
By Pianissimo Comments: 77, member since Thu Feb 17, 2005
On Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:29 AM
Edited by Pianissimo (122728) on 2005-07-13 10:30:39 Forgot to put my password in! Duh.
I don't do any character/national dances, but my little sister does. Her dancing school (in Inverness, Scotland) follow the United Kingdom Alliance (UKA) syllabus. Last year she did her Tarantella dance for the 'Dance Around the World' Italy trophy. She had a character skirt, tamborine with ribbons on it, and her ballet shoes - not character shoes. Is that the difference between national and character dances in ballet then?

If you want to take a look at my sister's Tarantella outfit, please feel free to visit my photobucket album - but please don't take anything from it or change anything on it, thanks :) The address is:
photobucket.com . . .
The password is 'Piano' if you need it.
And the tarantella pics are the last two in the album.

Just an interesting fact for everyone (or useless piece of information!): The Tarantella is thought to be a traditional Italian dance (I think you also get Russian tarantellas - but don't quote me on that!) to scare away the spiders. Hence why they dance with tamborines. BUT this is actually a common misconception. The Tarantella is actually just a traditional dance that originated in the Tarantella region of Italy! How weird is that?!

I'll let someone else post now, hehe :)
By piquepiquepique Comments: 100, member since Mon May 30, 2005
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 07:52 AM
Grade 6 character is also Polish like Grade 5. I think character is very fun; the feel is very different to the rest of the syllabus.
By yellowroses510 Comments: 6, member since Thu Jun 30, 2005
On Tue Jul 19, 2005 06:45 PM
That was a really good explanation of character dancing. I was in character dance class for one year and loved it! I wish I would have continued. Thanks again!!!
By snow_pea Comments: 98, member since Wed Mar 23, 2005
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 03:05 PM
Do Most people take character classes??
By nessarose Comments: 126, member since Mon Jul 25, 2005
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 04:21 PM
Character sounds like so much fun and so interesting! I'd love to take a character class some time soon... I should look in to it!
By cheeky_me_1234member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 211, member since Mon Aug 01, 2005
On Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:47 AM
i love character because it's like ballet but more free...it's a time to let myself go a bit lol! grade 4 is russian and it's a really good dance!
By spazz_jazz Comments: 49, member since Mon Aug 15, 2005
On Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:21 AM
i dont know what colours to get on my skirt!
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 02:31 PM
I always wanted to know what character was. Thanx.
By dancer98 Comments: 30, member since Wed Jun 29, 2005
On Sat Oct 01, 2005 07:33 PM
wow that is a really good explanation that show what character is. I am in grade 7 ballet so i know what it is but you explained it so well!
By dancer351 Comments: 44, member since Fri Oct 28, 2005
On Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:54 AM
Character dancing sounds pretty fun. Almost like you get have a lought more freedom. I have not had the chance to try character dancing yet. Can you tell how much different is the role of a male dancer in character ballet versus traditional ballet?
By bruserbabe Comments: 124, member since Fri Sep 09, 2005
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 03:31 PM
Character dancing does sound like fun, but I don't think our studio has it. :( But our studio calls regular ballet (soft shoes instead of pointe shoes) character dancing. Is this correct or just my studio's personal slang? I'm not really sure, but thank you for answering!
By dancinjesswessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 281, member since Thu May 05, 2005
On Thu Nov 24, 2005 05:49 AM
I wish i could do character, but there is no where to do it in my area!
Jess
xxx
By NinaBallerina021 Comments: 420, member since Sun Nov 27, 2005
On Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:34 AM
Character sounds like alot of fun but i´m not sure if our school offers it!
Character Instruction
By mansurballet Comments: 38, member since Thu Feb 10, 2005
On Tue Dec 06, 2005 06:14 PM
True Character Dance is an art form that is almost completely unknown outside of Russia. The only authority on the form and real instructor of this art form in North America is Mansur Kamaletdinov, formerly Principal Character Dancer and Chair of the Character Dance Department at the Bolshoi Theater. He was a pupil of Shiryaev, who essentially invented and codified the artform while working with Petipa. Information can be found on the website www.russianballet.net
Mansur was also a student of Vaganova herself and is a Master Teacher in Classical Ballet. He offers Master Classes, private lessons, and holds two summer intensives each year, one in Los Angeles and one in Pittsburgh, PA.
By grimj03 Comments: 24, member since Thu Jan 26, 2006
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 03:13 AM
this is useful, maybe you could also do a piece on the meanings of the various character dances?

bets wishes

John
Page:
Page 4 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch