Forum: Ballet / Character Ballet

Page:
Page 5 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: for people who dont know about character this is for you!
By yaara Comments: 137, member since Sat Jan 07, 2006
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 04:01 AM
a good explenation
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Sat Jan 28, 2006 07:27 PM
This is really helpful for people who don't know what character. I'm a RAD girl so I've always done character in the exams. I think Grade 1 and 2 is Hungarian, Grade 3 and 4 is Russian, 5 and 6 is Polish but I can't remember what 7 and 8 are.
By Merfi Comments: 3099, member since Wed Jan 18, 2006
On Tue Feb 21, 2006 08:53 PM
Yeah, I do RAD Grade 7, and I really enjoy it. I think Grade 5 is Russian, Grade 6 is Polish and Grade 7 is Hungarian. I've done all the other grades as well, but can't remember what nationality the dancing is! :)
By dreams_of_dance Comments: 23, member since Tue Feb 28, 2006
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 08:29 AM
I had a small idea of what Character dance was but now i have a clearer idea. thank you! It sounds fun!
By ballet_princesss Comments: 29, member since Sat Feb 25, 2006
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 05:16 AM
dat was cool !thx. I wish I did character @ my new studio !! hehe now you've got me into doing character. =D sounds rlly fun!!
By butterpuff01 Comments: 20, member since Wed May 10, 2006
On Wed May 17, 2006 04:01 AM
I did character dancing when i was 8
does this mean i did RAD because i can't remember and im interested if i did
By Amaranthe Comments: 193, member since Wed Mar 29, 2006
On Wed May 17, 2006 05:24 AM
Not only RAD, my daughter does character work in her Borovansky as well....using a fan this year, she is SO impressed lol
By Tanzen Comments: 113, member since Sat Jul 13, 2002
On Tue May 30, 2006 04:29 AM
I just did my grade 8 (Russian style character), and the character dance options are so different! One is very controlled, soft, slow, you hold a handkerchief and do steps which make you look like you're gliding across the floor. You need extreme poise and presence to counter the almost boring steps. The other is sooo fast and precise - more difficult in my opinion but way more fun - got more of the stamps and claps which I love lol!!
By BalletAlyssa Comments: 140, member since Sun Apr 30, 2006
On Sun Jun 04, 2006 03:13 PM
I did character dancing for a show once. It was soo much fun!
re: for people who dont know about character this is for you! (karma: 1)
By blazeboxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 379, member since Wed Mar 01, 2006
On Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:32 PM
Edited by blazebox (152598) on 2006-06-15 22:37:07 Additional explanation
Edited by blazebox (152598) on 2006-06-15 22:40:30
Tanzen, you did Dance Russe? I did that for my Grade 8 exam as well a long way back! I liked it alot along with the Demi Character!

Posters have asked for pictures of Character shoes, so here you go:

Image hotlink - 'http://i6.tinypic.com/14kip92.jpg'

There are usually two heels, low heels, for younger girls to get accustomed to dancing in shoes with heels, and when you go up the higher grades, which is grade 6, you use a cuban heel which is just a little bit higher and has a very slight curvature at the back rather then being straight, as seen below:

Image hotlink - 'http://i6.tinypic.com/14kip0l.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i6.tinypic.com/14kjew2.jpg'

Shoes for exams, are usually black and canvas, but they are also available in leather and of course for males, there are oxfords.

Image hotlink - 'http://i5.tinypic.com/14kjhtv.jpg'

Also, here is a pic of some dancers in their different character skirts, some have only 3-4 ribbons, whereas some have more of varying widths and or course different colours.

Image hotlink - 'http://i6.tinypic.com/14kipo0.jpg'

If you would like to know a little bit more, here's some information:

The term ''character-ballet'' is here used to encompass both basic meanings of what in ballet is known as character dance. First, character dance can refer to balletic adaptations of folk and social dances. But character dance can also refer to choreography that reveals the character traits of grotesque, eccentric or flamboyant people. Massine often made use of folk sources, and he filled his ballets with colorful individuals.

Comic ballets, of course, have always been popular. ''Coppelia,'' one of the 19th-century's great comedies, makes use of such folk dances as the mazurka and czardas; it became a success in Russia and other countries after its Paris premiere in 1870. A profound influence upon Massine was the early 20th-century choreography of Michel Fokine. It was Fokine who created many notable serious character-ballets, including ''Petrouchka'' and ''Scheherazade,'' for Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, the company with which Massine made his own choreographic debut in 1915 with ''Soleil de Nuit,'' a ballet derived from Russian folk dances.

You can read the rest of the article here: query.nytimes.com . . .
By AlyssaPremium member Comments: 1020, member since Tue Jul 04, 2006
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 09:12 AM
Thanks for explaining that to everyone. I didn`t really understand what it was before you explained it. Does everyone wear that same Character Skirt? Or are there different kinds/colors? Can someone please explain RAD to me? I don`t understand if it`s just one studio or a whole big thing. Thanks.

Peace, Love, && Dance *

GOT_THE_POINTEx3
By xkitten93x Comments: 295, member since Tue Jun 20, 2006
On Thu Jul 06, 2006 09:29 PM
Thank you so much! My new studio offers character, so I might take it. This was a helpful tip.

xkitten93x :P
RADD!!
By AKM_Danseresje Comments: 17, member since Thu Jul 27, 2006
On Fri Jul 28, 2006 02:25 PM
hejj Kirpy!!

It's zo great that you road this cuse I do examens of the RAD !! The RAD is zo cool!! I just did my gradd 5 examen and had a 8,7 !!Yahhooee !! And character is a style of dancing that a lott of people don't know but it's very nice !!
I don't know if you dance with the RAD to but if you do good
luck witch your examens !! Uhm.. I have some pics of myself with the character closs on but I don't know how to put them her, so if you could help my (thank you)..

Kisses from Amber (I'm from the Netherlands)
RADD!!
By AKM_Danseresje Comments: 17, member since Thu Jul 27, 2006
On Fri Jul 28, 2006 02:29 PM
hejj Kirpy!!

It's zo great that you road this cuse I do examens of the RAD !! The RAD is zo cool!! I just did my gradd 5 examen and had a 8,7 !!Yahhooee !! And character is a style of dancing that a lott of people don't know but it's very nice !!
I don't know if you dance with the RAD to but if you do good
luck witch your examens !! Uhm.. I have some pics of myself with the character closs on but I don't know how to put them her, so if you could help my (thank you)..

Kisses from Amber (I'm from the Netherlands)
By sweet_soloist Comments: 81, member since Tue Jul 18, 2006
On Tue Aug 01, 2006 03:21 PM
I didnt realize that was charicter thanks!
By lrnballerina Comments: 20, member since Wed Aug 30, 2006
On Wed Aug 30, 2006 08:56 AM
Thankyou! I had no IDEA what it was before you explained it!
By emma_jaynemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7956, member since Fri Jan 24, 2003
On Thu Sep 28, 2006 06:36 AM
hiya

i loved doing character when i did ballet :) i loved my skirt and my shoes too!!!hehe

i think it was hungarian that we did, not 100% though.
i think that everybody should try character if they get the chance!!!

luv n hugz

Emz

xxx
By dancerdancer22member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 474, member since Sat Oct 28, 2006
On Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:52 AM
This is really cool.Thank you.Sometimes every year my studio does character dancing.
By iceskatergurl43member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 405, member since Mon Nov 20, 2006
On Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:08 PM
Thanks I always wondered what character was. I saw the shoes but never knew what they were for.
By lildancer_07 Comments: 6, member since Tue Jan 02, 2007
On Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:04 PM
Wow ! i never knew it was part of RAD
By tinydancergirl Comments: 33, member since Sat May 05, 2007
On Wed Jun 06, 2007 09:22 AM
Ballet character shoes are made by Capezio. They are called Academy Character and the style numbers are 456 (adult) and 457C (child). They are canvas uppers, suede soles and 1 inch heel for children and 1.5 inch heel for adults. The canvas and suede allow you to achieve a good pointe on tendu and strong releve in demi pointe. Go to capeziodance.com and click on the footwear box and then click the tap/character link on the left and scroll down to the Academy Character shoe. Good luck!
By summersPremium member Comments: 5819, member since Fri Apr 07, 2006
On Fri Sep 14, 2007 04:29 PM
WHAT IS GRADE 3
By chazzygirl10Premium member Comments: 398, member since Thu Jun 14, 2007
On Fri Sep 21, 2007 06:41 AM
great! I have just started and I love it, I pretend to sow and I love the shoes as they have heels on

charley
By dddd5 Comments: 42, member since Mon Aug 27, 2007
On Fri Sep 28, 2007 08:36 PM
thanks for clearing that up.i'm one of those people that went "what the heck..." when they saw character ballet.
By Lovelylau Comments: 45, member since Wed Oct 03, 2007
On Wed Oct 10, 2007 02:15 PM
Great! Thank you! Now, I know what's character...

:D
Page:
Page 5 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch