Forum: General / Hip Hop / Capoeira

Capoeira is more than just...
By HammerHand
On Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:36 AM

O.k.... In any fighting style, if your doing it wrong,... it's not going to work.(plain and simple)

Capoeira is a dance... It's also a fight... It's in your choice that "YOU" make. If you choose to play nice, the game is nice. If you choose to play hard, the game is hard. Both ways are right.

The capoeira here in the states are... kinda on the softer side.(focusing more on the dancing,acrobats,and beauty of it.)And thats cool,...if that's what you want. But you can't say it dosen't work,...if you havn't seen someone work it. People often see the beauty of capoeira,but rarely it's power.Keep in mind that Capoeira is the only martial arts style that was beaten into exsistance.

The capoeista's (people who do capoeira)of old,were strong bodied people,they had to be.(literally being beaten into shape.)Rock Hard Nigga's(nigga in the sence that they were hard working and not there own,Being slaves.)If you've ever seen someone who's lost everything and has nothing else to live for,fight for there very eveistance....may be you would understand.

And to all the capoeista's out there, I have only one thing to say.... Play with conviction,in other words play like you mean it.If you got an open shot on someone take it,and bang on them(not to hard though).If not... your not showing them respect. A real capoeista CAN take a beating.Like the slaves of old who were beaten everyday. Block like you mean it,sweep like you mean it,punch like you mean it,and kick like you mean it.Capoeira is beautiful,but that not all it is...

7 Replies to Capoeira is more than just...

re: Capoeira is more than just...
By ballet_irish_gal
On Wed Apr 27, 2005 02:26 PM
wow, that sounds great, my friend says he was going to start us in capoeira after september, I couldnt really figure out exactly what it was, but now I do, thank you.
By Dancer_4_Life1
On Thu Apr 28, 2005 04:47 PM
what actually is Capoeira ive never heard of it ??
By fadinha
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 03:30 PM
Capoeira is a 500 yr old martial art that combines dance fight and game into one form. It was created by the slaves in brazil to rebel against the master. It lives today soley as a game that mimics a fight. I have been doing it fot about 3 years and as a classical ballet dancer of more than 15 yrs it was hard to forget about turn out and placement when doing moves but once I got past it, Capoeira is really fun. For more info see tabcat.or . . . or capoeira.com
By fadinha
On Tue Oct 04, 2005 03:49 PM
HammerHand, I am glad you know what capoeira is but I was wondering who is your Mestre? I'm assuming you are regional based on your method of game play. And while it is always great to hear from another capoeirista, it saddens me a bit when people who dont know what the art it get some intense information before training. I agree, there does come a point in the game where if you have a chance to get someone go for it. However, that point comes after a long period of game. You obviously know the symbolism of being taken down and getting dirty. Why would you want that to happen right after stepping into the roda? I also dissagree that capoeira in the US is softer. I have seen rodas where peopl get their noses broken, where the cops get called because rival schools get into it, and here we have the constant battle between regional and angola. In Brazil the arts remain seperate but respect each other. I went to Bahia, I stayed in the Pelourinho, I saw it with my eyes. In Brazil the Mestres made sure everyone played game before trying to get each other. João Pequeno even stopped a game because they weren't playing with each other. And these guys didn't even take each other down. As I said I'm happy you know what it is, and maybe where you train game isn't the important thing but one thing I learned in Brazil was this:
While capoeira came about because of slavery, when they played each other it wasn't to kill. It was training so they could escape. Yes after slavery ended capoeira became violent even being banned in brazil for some time and yes people have been killed playing. My mestre was cut with a razor. But that happened on the streets, people playing for money. This should not happen in schools. In schools you have game, theater, showing, and if it gets to a point yea go for rasteira.

At least this is what my Mestre of 3 years, and the mestres in the Pelourinho have taught me.
By BboyScorpio
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 09:56 AM
I like Capeiora in a dance battle because if you don't win the battle, then you can just beat the crap out of them instead by sticking a Capoeira Foot in their mouth for talking the smack.
By Muthu
On Fri Dec 02, 2005 02:19 AM
wow, that sounds great, I am going to join capoeira, I couldnt really figure out exactly what it was, but now I do, thank you. Nice posting
By Wantstodance
On Sat Dec 03, 2005 02:16 PM
I used to do karate - but capoeira has really baffled me, it's as contradictive as Brazil. It's as hard as a martial art, as soft as dance. I unfortuantely never got the opportunity to try it myself even though some of my Brazilian friends are doing it.

ReplySendWatch