Forum: Arts / Debates

Debates
How To Post A Debate - A Basic Guide (karma: 21)  en>fr fr>en
By tutulessmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5351, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Sun Mar 27, 2005 04:36 AM
Made sticky by soliloquy (28370) on 2005-03-27 12:23:40
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-03-27 17:23:33 I fixed some spelling errors for you.....great post!! :-)
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-03-30 14:13:54 Added one key point....

Lately I have seen the occasional "debate" which consisted only of a rather strange question and nothing else. So here is a basic guide on what you need to include if you want to post a debate :

1) Choose a topic which is truly debatable. Remember that a debate should be intellectually stimulating and not just what is your opinion of...? (see: disclaimer in the debate board).

2.) Look through ALL ten pages of this forum first and check that your topic has not already been debated. Especially for the established debaters on here who participate in almost every debate, it will be extremely boring to debate the same topic over and over again. Think beating the dead horse.

3.) Clearly state the topic of your debate. Do not throw just one sentence at us and let us debate what the topic of your debate could possibly be. Write a few sentences about the topic. Remember, not everyone will immediately know what a certain topic (i.e. the Terry Schindler-Schiavo story) is about. Perhaps include a newspaper article.

4.) Clearly state your sources. If you post an article from CNN, you need to give a link to this specific article. Or, if you do not have a link, but copied it from your local newspaper by yourself for example, give the name of said newspaper and the date of the article. Also include the name of the author if available.

5.) If wanted, include a reason why you chose this particular topic. Did you debate it in school, is it discussed in the media, a discussion with your friends?

6.) You can also include a few examples as to claims for and against the topic at hand (e.g. Abortion should be illegal/legal, because...). This can give a basic guideline at the beginning especially.

7.) Perhaps include some questions the participants of the debate should answer. This is not necessary, but could help with the structure of the replies.

8.) If desired, you can include your own opinion on the topic. However be prepared that people will disagree with you. This is a debate after all.

9.) Check spelling and grammar. We foreigners will be very grateful for it is rather hard to look up words which are horribly misspelled. Also, a clear sentence structure will make your post easier to read and understand. Paragraphs are a good thing too!

10.) Double-check everything. Did you include all your sources? Missed an important point? Is everything clear and understandable even for "outsiders"?

You may then post your debate.
Keep in mind that you will not receive ten replied within the first hour. People will take their time to think up sensible replies. Also, it is up to the other members whether they shall participate in your debate or not.

Here are some basic rules for debating:

Be fair to each other. You may disagree, but not bash each other. If you do in fact not agree with a certain view on a topic, do not say "Pro-Life sucks and everyone who supports it is a complete and utter moron and should die as soon as possible". Be polite, give reasons why you disagree and treat each other as responsible adults would.This also includes Swearing...its against DDN rules so don't do it!

Do not lock your debate, because someone disagrees with you. Have a look at the original thread by DarkLilSunShine: dance.net . . .

Do not post replies à la Thank you for your replies or Why has nobody answered yet? People will reply if they want to and our egos are big enough that we do not need thanks for each reply we post.

I hope this helped the newer members especially. It's always nice to see new faces and new opinions in this board. Don't feel intimidated only because someone has been on here longer than you.

Happy debating!

Much love,
Ballettomatochick

21 Replies to How To Post A Debate - A Basic Guide

re: How To Post A Debate - A Basic Guide en>fr fr>en
By crunchyPremium member Comments: 4810, member since Wed Nov 05, 2003
On Sun Mar 27, 2005 04:48 AM
Excellent post tomato. Very well written and stated. Great job.

Allison
By Lonannunielmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 905, member since Tue Dec 21, 2004
On Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:51 PM
Ahh Tomato, that was pure brilliance. Brilliance I say.

I shall have to love you forever.

:)

Erin
By NeoSoulchildmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1488, member since Sun Dec 26, 2004
On Sun Mar 27, 2005 08:17 PM
You know what, you made some very good points, even for posting comments on a debate. I'm glad this is made a sticky, because alot of members need to read this just to be reminded that debate is just a debate... nothing personal. Good job and thanks for the advice.
re: How To Post A Debate - A Basic Guide (karma: 3)  en>fr fr>en
By vandoraPremium member Comments: 907, member since Sat Jul 31, 2004
On Sun Mar 27, 2005 09:09 PM
Edited by vandora (101603) on 2005-03-27 20:56:49
Edited by vandora (101603) on 2005-03-27 20:57:17
You rock.

I'd like to add a few things for replying to a debate, too... I think they need to be said. I hope it's okay to post 'em here.

Read all the replies before jumping in. I realize, some topics have 35436 pages, but at least read one or two pages at the end before jumping in. Being informed in how the debate is going, and what others have said make for a much more interesting post.

And also, most debates aren't black and white. There are grey areas. Your opinions aren't fact, nor is someone else wrong for thinking the opposite as you. If you can't respect that, then you really don't belong debating.
re: How To Post A Debate - A Basic Guide (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11585, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:11 AM
great post, tomato. thanks to soliloquy for making this sticky. eeew, it's sticky.

But I'd like to point out that when people reply to a debate that is on page 10, they sometimes get flamed for dredging up old news.

Just don't take anything too personally. That's the bottom line. We all enjoy a healthy debate, but most of us don't hold a grudge. The person who's arguing with you today might be your best ally next week.
By pokomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 9018, member since Sun Oct 31, 2004
On Tue Mar 29, 2005 03:24 AM
You know what I love?

People who start a debate.

Then everyone goes "I disagree" and gives opinions. Then the original poster goes off in a huff, does a "No body understands me" thread, changes their origianl view, then locks the thread.

I mean, thats the new way to debate. Didnt you know?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:00 PM
I'd like to add a point as well -

Telling someone to "get a life", "get over themselves" or "grow up" does nothing for your debate. People will ignore you because you look childish. You look childish because you have no validation for telling someone to do any of these things - you only know them from dance/current affairs discussions on a message board. Unless it's implicit in the avatar or screen name, I often don't know if I'm talking to a lad or a lass.

Hysterics also get you nowhere. You might be totally outraged by what you think is a foolish post, but again no-one will take you seriously if you start typing in a high-pitched voice. Y'know what I mean - too many exclamation marks, overuse of heavy sarcasm, capital letterss, remarks like "d'oh"...just generally not a good idea when used together. If it really outrages you that much, surely it's a better method of attack to plan out a thoughtful, mature and accurate post which details exactly why they're wrong? You don't have to reply immediately - give yourself time to cool off. You'' be more respected for it.

Louise
By tumblebugPremium member Comments: 10100, member since Fri Mar 29, 2002
On Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:20 AM
Great post!

Something else to add.....

It is important to read the paragraphs at the top of each forum, such as...

"Debates! This forum is to debate controversial issues and topics. All participants must display courtesy and respect at all times. Absolutely no personal attacks will be tolerated."

Be nice if people were able to maturely debate and abide by that paragraph :D .
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4229, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sun Apr 10, 2005 05:18 PM
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-04-10 21:31:49 member request
Be nice if people who make their bed would lie in it! :D
By aqua04rious Comments: 23, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 08:54 PM
great post but wats with the tomato thing thats not funney
By aqua04rious Comments: 23, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 08:59 PM
plez dis reguared the lastcomment!!!!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sat Jul 02, 2005 07:24 PM
I think we already did.

Sigh.

Louise
By GooseBerrymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 861, member since Sun Nov 14, 2004
On Fri Jul 08, 2005 02:57 PM
Another thing - It would be great if people used informative titles for their debate topics, instead of "Wow, isn't this terrible?" or "What do you think?"

I prefer, "(topic) - terrible or not?" or "What do you think about (topic)?"

Just a request, because when debates are titled things like "Wow, isn't this terrible?" I get confused and don't know if I've read it before. If it has something about the topic in the title, I know if I've read it or not. Thanks!

~~Meg
By dancingqueen18 Comments: 481, member since Sat Jun 11, 2005
On Fri Jul 08, 2005 03:15 PM
great post,i hope everyone reads this before starting up a debate.
By DancerX_O Comments: 59, member since Mon Jul 11, 2005
On Mon Jul 11, 2005 06:40 PM
Thanks that really helped lots!!!
By Rouxz Comments: 175, member since Tue Jul 05, 2005
On Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:42 AM
I guess i should have read this before i posted my debate but hey, its up there anyhow and i cant wait to post somemore!!!
Rouxz
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8757, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Thu Sep 01, 2005 04:17 PM
Good tips for all involved!

I learned quite a few things!

I'm also very happy that people have added to the initial sticky, thus enhancing the wisdom!

All hail the Tomato!

Shadow.
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3105, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Mon Oct 31, 2005 09:19 AM
Thanks so much for that! It helps a lot, because I didn't know a lot of those points. It's true, the n00bs get a little bit intimidated by the older members in debates. More karma coming your way.

-Ash
By Muthu Comments: 23, member since Fri Dec 02, 2005
On Wed Dec 07, 2005 09:23 PM
That is a really good gist of what one needs to keep in mind before debating or posting on it. thanks a lot
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:42 AM
I don't know if anyone reads this anymore... but I have noticed something lately. Please try not to bring in grudges for people from other debates. I know it's hard sometimes, and I caught myself wanting to do it, which is why I wanted to say something. We are all adults (ok... well a lot of us are) and we shouldn't be holding a grudge from one of these debates, let along dragging it into other parts of DDN. Just saying.
On Sun Jan 08, 2006 01:38 PM
^ I'd agree with you - but if you're doing it because someone is being hypocritical - ie they've drastically "changed" their opinion from a prev. debate to keep up with popular opinion, or for their own evil gain - then I think it's acceptable.

Louise

ReplySendWatch