Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

A Bit of Inspiration- An essay about reaching my goal of pointework. (karma: 3)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 03:07 PM

In my English class we had to write a practice college essay. The topic was write about one of your biggest accomplishments. I hope this is inspiration to some. :)

One of my biggest accomplishments was being able to dance en pointe. I started dancing and doing gymnastics when I was very young. I eventually gave up dancing to concentrate on competitive gymnastics. However, I still aspired to one day dance en pointe. I continued to train in gymnastics for many years. In sixth grade, my coach hired a dance teacher, and though I didn’t realize it at the time, I fell in love with dancing. My gym closed the summer before I went into seventh grade. I tried a few new gyms but I wasn’t happy with them. I decided to give cheerleading a try. Cheerleading was fun, and I continued the sport through high school, but something was missing. I decided in eighth grade to go back to dance.

I started at Anita-Jean Dance Theatre in September 2001. I went to a trial ballet class, but the teachers decided that class was too advanced for me, so they moved me into a lower ballet class. I also took an intermediate lyrical class and because of my many years of gymnastics, I was placed right away into the highest acrobatics class. I worked hard and fell in love with the studio and the teachers, but I knew if I wanted to move up, I needed more classes.

In ninth grade, I switched some dance classes and added two more to my schedule. I took two ballet classes a week at a higher level than the one I started in. I continued lyrical and acrobatics. I also added a jazz class to my agenda. During the course of this year I really started striving for pointe. In March, I started taking private ballet lessons and was able to perform and compete a ballet solo. At the end of the year recital performance, I enclosed a letter with my teacher’s gift. In my letter, I stated that I was interested in starting pointe and listed everything I was doing in order to prepare for the demands of pointe-work. I had done a lot of research on dancing en pointe and knew it could be dangerous. I told my teacher I that would be more then willing to wait if she thought it was necessary. Though during the summer I spent many hours at the studio and a long weekend at a National Association of Dance and Affiliated Arts (NADAA) convention and competition, my teacher never said anything to me regarding pointe.

It was not until September, when my teacher, Miss Anita was making the class schedule for the year, that she mentioned pointe to me. She was starting a beginner pointe class and I was invited to be in it! However, it was at the same time as my acrobatics class. I decided that because I already did a lot of tumbling in cheerleading, and pointe was a big dream of mine, to take the pointe class. I also added another jazz class to my agenda as well as a tap class, for a total of seven classes a week. For the first month and a half we didn’t actually dance en pointe. Instead, we did special exercises to help prepare our bodies for pointe. She also taught us about the shoe, how it worked and where to get fitted .I was very excited about my trip to the dance store. The fitter examined my feet and then had me try on some shoes. Unfortunately, the shoe she thought was best for me was not in stock in my size. The shoes need to be ordered, so I had to wait. I ended up waiting even longer due to a shipping strike in California. It seemed like forever, but in a couple of weeks I finally had my beautiful “Bloch Suprimas” in size 3.5B

My first class in pointe shoes was very thrilling. My toes did hurt a little but it wasn’t too bad. Pointe-work definitely takes a lot of strength, but as the dancer, I have to make it look effortless. The eight other students and I carefully transferred the steps we could already do on the balls of our feet, to the tips of our toes. We made a lot of progress and were able to perform en pointe after less then a year of study. The piece was called “Flower Drum Overture” and I was so proud to perform for the first time in my pretty pink pointe shoes.

I am now in my second year of pointe and have made great strides. I am currently working on more advanced steps such as double pirouettes. The shank’s (the very hard inner soles of the shoe which support the arch) have since snapped in half because my feet got stronger. I’m currently wearing a different style of shoe, the “Bloch Sonata”, but my first pair of pointe shoes are hung up on the wall of my bedroom, as a reminder of my great accomplishment.

7 Replies to A Bit of Inspiration- An essay about reaching my goal of pointework.

re: A Bit of Inspiration- An essay about reaching my goal of pointework.
By JoyNoellePremium member
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 05:10 PM
What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I particularly liked the "I have to make it look effortless" part. I don't think the general public has ANY idea how hard ballet is, and how much hard work it takes to MAKE it look effortless.

I'm glad you're achieving something you really wanted, and I hope you go as far as you want to in ballet. :)
On Tue Apr 05, 2005 07:21 PM
That you JayNOelle for your nice comments.
By showgirl_1
On Mon Apr 11, 2005 04:02 PM
That's a great story - well done on acheiving your dream!
On Mon Apr 11, 2005 07:41 PM
Thanks again to all (sorry about the that you lol I"m not much of a typist lol)
By Truffle
On Fri May 06, 2005 05:17 PM
Truly inspiring.
Great Job!
I'm proud of you for making such a come-back, and I don't even know you! :)

*~amy~* ;)
DaNcEr101333
On Sun May 08, 2005 09:16 PM
thank you! :)
By Klais
On Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:25 AM
Edited by Klais (354618) on 2020-12-08 11:26:14
I can still tell you about the footnotes. Many people don�t know how to do them normally and then they don�t get a very good result, or rather they get problems now, they can even be prosecuted for copyright and so on. This has happened more than once, so I have studied here just the same materials on how to make footnotes. Be sure to study this information before you post anything. I hope that I have been able to push someone into thinking about this case. Good luck and success, I hope I helped! I personally use the right footnotes.

ReplySendWatch