Forum: Arts / Pets

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: The REAL deal about spaying/neutering and Breeding your pets
By dancingqueen18 Comments: 481, member since Sat Jun 11, 2005
On Tue Jul 12, 2005 01:21 PM
Thanks a million for posting this!FINALYsomone who knows it's better to spay/neuter than have a pet end up homeless.As Bob Barker says,"Have your pets spayed or neutered".
By Ballet_Boo_Boomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 988, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:20 AM
Thank you! Me and my nine kitties all thank you! (I have nine cause we collected them off the street!)

.mandy.
By dancing_spazmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 551, member since Sat Nov 13, 2004
On Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:33 PM
it annoys me so much when people dont spay/neuter their animals. if they want a kitten, adopt one.
By Dance_babe1member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 80, member since Thu May 12, 2005
On Thu Jul 28, 2005 08:39 AM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2005-08-18 19:06:46 Netspeak, and completely false information. Sexual maturity of an animal has NOTHING to do with their mental maturity, and whoever told you otherwise didn't know much about the animal that they were refering to.
actually, well , u can spy your dog whenever really, but its better not to do it to early . watever age you spay her/him is the age that his/her brain will stay at . soits better not to get it done too early. maybe 9 months.
lots'o'luv
gemz]xx
By catytheballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 651, member since Mon Sep 06, 2004
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 09:09 PM
Wow, that is really informative! thanks for sharing!

Caty!
By muzzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1071, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:53 AM
awwww... that's a really nice thing to post and im giving you karma because it must have taken you AGES to write!! LOL
Love Maria.xx
By AIMEE1member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2045, member since Mon May 30, 2005
On Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:35 AM
Hiya! This is a fantastic post! My puppys vet recommended I get my puppy neutered the other day but I was unsure as I had heard that there were quite a few bad side effects! Thank you for straightening this out! Karma for you!!

Aimee x
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Sat Oct 22, 2005 07:03 PM
I put this in the other thread, but it's a great video, deserves to be watched. The person who made it is a sweetheart, she let me post links to it on my guinea pig website, because I am also against the breeding of small animals. Believe it or not, there is a homeless population of guinea pigs and other small critters. I have adopted five homeless pigs.

www.itsmeowornever.org . . .
By kt_bug Comments: 64, member since Tue Nov 22, 2005
On Wed Nov 23, 2005 04:54 PM
thankyou for the info but my family is poor and can barely pay for me to dance but they know that I love it .we can't afford to spay or neuter are pets ,but when I get my own I'll save to get it spayed or neutered!!!! once again thanks!!!!!1
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Mon Jan 09, 2006 01:11 PM
Just a quick question - if your parents can't afford to spay/neuter your pets, then I am assuming they at least keep the pets away from any situation where they could come into contact with an animal of the opposite gender? In other words, they ensure that the animals don't breed?

It's too bad they can't afford it, you and your pets would be much happier spayed or neutered. Going into heat is really not fun for the animals. Plus, the vet bills for the diseases they are much more susceptible to (since they are not spayed/neutered) could easily end up being a whole lot higher than the cost of they spay/neuter. I know that some areas have spay/neuter clinics where they will perform the operation for a lowered cost. Perhaps you can check out if your area has such a thing?

I'm really glad to hear that you plan to spay/neuter your future pets. :)
By Dianna7582member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 542, member since Sun Jun 15, 2003
On Fri Feb 03, 2006 04:52 PM
Thank goodness for people like you! I am a vet tech and have said most of those things a million times! It's amazing how many people own animals and don't know the basics! Good job!
By EnergyMumPremium member Comments: 536, member since Mon Nov 14, 2005
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 05:53 AM
Great post, very informative. Thanks for taking the time.
By iceprincezzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 243, member since Sat Jun 18, 2005
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:04 AM
Another great post! Take Bob Barker's advice, folks.

My stepmom was so freaked out about having her dogs spayed/neutered. She had this misconception that it was this horrible long and drawn out surgery. I've worked in a vet's office, and I can tell you right now it's so quick. The vet I used to work for did them so quickly and effortlessly. The animals were up and about a few hours after the surgery!

This is such an easy fix to such an awful problem.
By RulerOfTheArts Comments: 1186, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Wed Mar 15, 2006 03:39 PM
Hi, Highlandlassie.

I don't think it was very nice of you to make that girl (the one right above your post) feel bad. I mean, she can't afford it; it doesn't make her a mean person, so why did you reiterate info (and info she probably already knows) about torture and pain for her animals? I don't think you would like it if you had an inescapable reason for not spaying/neutering and someone gave you guilt for it. She loves her animals; don't make her feel worse about the situation than she already does.

I cxan't neuter my cat because she has a heart murmur, and putting her under anesthesia could kill her (a weak heart); and I love her more than anything in the world.

I don't want to be mean and I know you mean well, but it just frustrates me when people say (I know you didn't say this), "oh, you are horrible for not spaying or neutering". There are some who just can't do it.
By exgymcoach Comments: 64, member since Sun Apr 30, 2006
On Mon May 08, 2006 03:30 PM
i have a cat that need neutering anyone know how much this normally cost reckon my vets dear
On Tue May 09, 2006 08:53 AM
Edited by highlandlassie (84875) on 2006-05-09 08:54:56
RulerOfTheArts:

Firstly I'd like to know how you went into the future to post your post? It says it was posted May 15, 2006. Weird...

Anyway, I feel a need to answer your post. Please re-read it, as it appears you missed something. I did not think that the main point of my post was "what a horrible person you are". I finished the post by telling her I was happy she planned to spay/neuter future pets. I asked her whether she was going to ensure that the lack of spay/neuter would not result in an unnecessary pregnancy.

And finally, I gave some reasoning that she could perhaps suggest to her parents, that in the end spaying and neutering could end up to be cheaper. It is never as simple as can or can't afford something, everyone puts their priorities in different places. There is a chance that her parents simply didn't see the advantages to spaying and neutering, and thought of it as an unnecessary expense. I'm sure money is tight, but her small post doesn't really give us the whole picture of her parents' finances (I wouldn't expect it to), so I don't know for certain that spaying/neutering is absolutely out of the question.

I was very careful not to put blame onto the poster. I think if you re-read my post you may see that I did not intend to simply make her feel bad. That would not have any purpose anyway!

I appreciate your concern for her. I just thought you should know my true intentions.
On Tue May 09, 2006 09:13 AM
Edited by RulerOfTheArts (152924) on 2006-05-09 09:15:11
Edited by RulerOfTheArts (152924) on 2006-05-09 09:16:50
^ I am sorry, but it is MARCH. You must have misread the "r" for a "y".

I realize you were applauding her for wanting to get them spayed and neutered. In fact, most everything in your first post was honorable, well thought out, and mature.

The thing I was offended about was the fact that you repeated all the horrible complications that result from not spaying/neutering. She knows them already...it was in the very first paragraph of the post...by Plaidskirt.

I realize I am touchy about the subject...my cat is my whole world...my life, my child...and I simply was unable to save her from such complications because putting her under the needle would cause heart failure (due to her heart murrmur.)

I just couldn't stand it when you repeated those complications...we KNOW what we are doing has harmed our animals in some way...we didn't need to be reminded of it a SECOND time.

I reread my post..I was wrong in a couple of ways..I misread your post, and was overly dramatic in some parts...so the only thing, basically, I was upset about, was the fact you repeated what the OP said!! Sounds silly..I know...

Anyway, please accept my apologies for twisting your words...it was unintentional, truly...I guess it is because I love my cat so much, and my emotions were talking instead of my sense...

:)
On Tue May 09, 2006 12:13 PM
I am sorry, but it is MARCH. You must have misread the "r" for a "y".

Ahhh, that makes sense. :P

Thank you for that last post, it clears up a lot. I can understand that you feel badly for your cat, I love my cat to bits and pieces too.

By the way, if someone does make you personally (in your situation) feel bad about not altering your cat, then either they don't know the situation or they're just being mean. The number one concern of course is to keep the cat alive and healthy, for crying out loud! I can certainly see why you have not, if it is a danger to the cat. That is an entirely different situation all together. You have to weigh the good and the bad, and in your case I wouldn't be spaying my cat either. I'm sure you are keeping her from situations where she could become pregnant in your case, as I'm sure a pregnancy would not be good for her either. But it sounds like you are being a responsible pet owner, and I apologize if you read any differently into my post.

Aren't cats great? Enjoy her, give her lots of affection, scratch her chin for me. :)
On Tue May 09, 2006 12:18 PM
^Thank you for your kind words. :) and yes, Shelby (my cat) says hi, and thanks you for the idea of chin-scratching. :D
By bambi1 Comments: 22, member since Fri Aug 12, 2005
On Mon May 15, 2006 01:05 PM
i have a 8 month old lab bitch, we havent had her spayed becuase we want to let her hav one litter first, we put her in her dog run the other day (which is very secure!) but a dog chewed through the wire and got in beside her, it cost us £100 at the vet to get a jab for her to stop any pups! what a nightmare
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Tue Aug 28, 2007 03:56 PM
Thank you for writing this. I wish I had read it before we got our kitten spayed. We did it when she was 10 weeks. I was afraid she would be in tons of pain. She came home the next day at noon and 6 hours after that, she was ready to play fetch again! (yes my kitten plays fetch). If I had read this, I would have relised it is not that big of a deal for the animal.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:26 PM
My boys were neutered at 10 weeks old as well. I met them at the shelter when they we 11 weeks, and I didn't even notice they'd had anything done. They healed very well.

We took them home at 12 weeks, and they were right as rain! No problems!
By KinerEnterprises Comments: 40, member since Mon Feb 05, 2007
On Sat Mar 21, 2009 09:04 PM
This is an awesome post! I agree 100%! I try to explain the same information to potential adopters at the animal shelter where I volunteer. There are so many people with misconceptions in regards to spaying and neutering, it's great to know that there are other people who are dedicated to spreading the truth about this topic. Awesome post!
By mochichi Comments: 100, member since Wed Apr 29, 2009
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 01:57 PM
Awesome! All my cats and both dogs are spayed/neutered. All that icky bleeding and mounting...yuck, don't need it!
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch