Feature: Advice / Modeling & Pageantry

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Modeling & Pageantry
How can I be a model?? And other FAQ, answered: (karma: 40)
By Dashuriamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2041, member since Wed Mar 27, 2002
On Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:42 PM
Edited by linh (3) on 2005-04-19 13:34:48 Nice job! I promoted this to a feature story.
Twirlit gives you the low-down on becoming a model. It's not easy, but it may not be as hard as you think...

After seeing the many posts with some of these questions (and bunches of PM's to me), I thought this thread might be helpful.

Can I be a model?
Maybe! Actually...we have no idea. Because we've never met you in real life and have no real idea what you look like, your body type, or any of that stuff. The only way you can figure that out is to find out by yourself. How do you do that? Talk to a legitimate agency about modeling. How do you do that? We'll get to that in a minute. ;)

Am I skinny enough to model? Am I tall enough?
Yes, you're skinny enough, and yes you're tall enough. Because today there are models of all shapes and sizes...including petites and plus sizes. Just know that if they make clothes to fit every person, they have to have someone to model those clothes, too. :) BUT there are certain types of modeling that you may not have the right bodytype for. For example, in order to do runway modeling you must be at about 5'8. But don't let that stop you! There are many other forms of modeling besides runway, like print and commercial. (and, they can be more fun, too. I much prefer print work to runway!)

Everyone says I'm pretty and that I should be a model.
Great! But it all comes down to two other things. #1: Do you have a photogenic quality? (there are BEAUTIFUL people that don't carry over well in photos). #2: Do you fit into the agencies "box". Remember that every agency has there "type" of model, and you have to fit in it. Even if you have the cutest nose and prettiest blue eyes ever, you may not be the kind of model that they want to represent.

So how do I get started in modeling?
By getting an agent. How do you get an agent? Well you could take the by luck route and wait to be "discovered". But chances are that will never happen, so make it happen yourself. Send your photos into an agent, or attend an open call (actually, most models were contracted this way...including myself). How do you do that?

Send your photos in: Have a few photos taken of yourself. You'll want them to include a headshot and full body shot. Serious faces, and some smiles, too. Show versatility, but you need not send in more than five. Send the photos to agencies including your name, age, height, weight and contact info. And don't send your photos to JUST one agency. Pick several.

Attend an open call: Most agencies have open calls. Call and find out when they are. Bring along some photos (like described above). Don't get too dolled up....try to be as natural as possible (wearing little or no makeup).

AND REMEMBER: Like I said earlier. Every agent has a "box". You must fit into their box. One agent may hate you, while another thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread. (I was turned down several times before landing an agent! So it is possible...you just need perseverance!) Don't get discouraged if the "We're sorry, but you aren't what we are looking for, but wish you the best in the future" letters keep coming.

Also, and this is important, kids. DO NOT go about sending your photos in without your parents permission. You may like to do it on your own and then surprise them like "hey, guess what! I'm a model!". But if you are under 18, you won't get very far without them. Because they are eventually going to have to know and sign papers and contracts and all that fun stuff. ;) Also, your parents can help you make sure you're sending your photos into real agents, not scary creeps that just want to look at pictures of pretty girls.

How do I know if the agency is legitimate?
This is a VERY important thing. I've never seen people ripped off so much before as I have in the modeling world. The first thing is: You should NEVER, EVER, EVER have to pay ANY money. Not a dime. This is how it works: The agency finds jobs for you, the client (who you modeled for) pays your agent, your agent pays you (and your agent keeps a percentage). Yes, the agency pays YOU. You don't pay them. You shouldn't have to pay for anything. Not photos, not classes, not nothin'! Also, check with your local Better Business Bureau to make sure that the agency has a clean record. And ask for a list of clients that have hired their models. Make sure that you recognize some of the clients on that list! If one of their models was hired to do a magazine add for "ABC Toothpaste", but an "ABC Toothpaste" doesn't exist....hmmmm....that's a pretty sure sign that this agency is a little off, huh?

Do I need modeling classes?
Nope! Although some agencies encourage them. If yours does, great! But ONLY if they are giving them to you free of charge. You shouldn't have to pay for them. You can learn a lot, but they are not necessary.

Who do I get to take my photos?
That is up to you. You can hire a professional to do them, or say, a friend that has a good eye in photography (which is cheaper). You can choose the location, but try to let the photos represent who you really are. So don't curl your hair if it is usually straight. Don't wear blue contacts if your eyes are really black. It won't be a pretty thing if you show up to meet a prospective agent who was interested in your photos, and you end up looking totally different than your pictures.

So where do I find an agent?
Check your phone book for local agents. Or check out a model directory like: www.apparelsearch.com . . . Also, for TONS of great modeling info. and more agency listings check out: www.howtomodel.com And google your area for agencies, as well.

I want to just be a hand model, hair model, foot model, etc. So how do I get an agent just for that?
The same way you get any other agent. Tell them that. If they don't get jobs for hand models, ask them to recommend an ageny that does.

So now I'm a model...I'm gonna' be famous now, right?
Well, not exactly. There are thousands of models out there right now, modeling away and making money, but you will never hear of them. It is only a few that become a Cindy Crawford. But really, its alright! All those girls that you see in Seventeen or Cosmo Girl are having just as much fun! :D

But, is modeling really for you?
Please make sure that modeling is really for you. Make sure that you don't want to do it just because it seems cool, or so that you can tell your friends "Hey, I'm a model!" Because you know what modeling really is? It is a JOB. Yes, it's WORK. And even though its fun and most of us love it, it can be long, hard hours. Its not all fun and games. And along with signing a modeling contract comes other stuff, too. For instance, I can't dye my hair, perm my hair, cut it drastically, get a tatoo or peircing, or anything like that without informing my agent AND getting all new photos taken to represent my "new look". Basically, someone "owns" you now. Do you really want that? Make sure you do. And you know what else? I've actually talked to girls before that said "I want to model so guys will like me". Puhleeeaase....if THAT is your reason, then you shouldn't become a model. And, unless you go blabbing, it's not like the day you get your first paying job there is going to be a sign tagged around your neck saying "Look at me, I'm a model!". Guys aren't going to flock to you and start hitting on you. Guys shouldn't like you just because you're a model, that's cheap, and you're above that, okay?

And yes, they may not like you!
When persuing an agent, be prepared for rejection. If someone doesn't like you, someone else might. So keep trying! There might be a sad agent sitting behind his desk right now looking for the perfect brown eyed, freckled faced girl to star in the magazine add for "ABC Toothpaste". ;) If you try for a while and still don't get an agent, its not the end of the world. There are many other things just as exciting to do!! But I hope that this helps you out, and brings your dream of becoming a model a little bit closer. :) Good luck!!

38 Replies to How can I be a model?? And other FAQ, answered:

re: How can I be a model?? And other FAQ, answered:
By Bellarina126member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1803, member since Tue Jun 01, 2004
On Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:51 AM
Wonderful post!!! Karma for you!
A good way to start is...
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Mon Apr 18, 2005 08:49 AM
Karma from me, too.

Some of my students started by modeling for costume companies to get some experience, first.
By gabiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 226, member since Fri Jan 07, 2005
On Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:55 PM
I have been hunting and hunting online for this info and I didnt want to make another post on the same subject so karma karma karma for you!!!! I want to be a Model and you gave me alot to think about.....your right it is a JOB and you have to WORK.thanks for all the helpful info!!!!
By ItchyTorsomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 887, member since Tue Jan 11, 2005
On Wed Apr 20, 2005 02:47 AM
Yay! More karma to you! Great post! I've been wanting to start modeling for over a year now...I will start looking for an agent once I get my two missing teeth (I'm a 13 year-old, who looks about 14/15, and is STILL missing two teeth! lol)
re: how can i be a model?? and other fag, answered:
By elliebelliemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1990, member since Mon Nov 22, 2004
On Wed Apr 20, 2005 05:04 AM
wow thats realy really good!!! karma!! :)

ellie bellie
By ximmaspecial1xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 402, member since Thu Mar 03, 2005
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 06:37 PM
Great post. The only thing you didn't touch on is age. Does it matter? does one become "too old" to get started in something like this?

Karma for you! This really is a great post. :)
By Dashuriamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2041, member since Wed Mar 27, 2002
On Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:41 AM
Edited by Twirlit (24900) on 2005-04-22 10:27:53
ximmaspecial: good point! I didn't talk about that, did I?

AGE: Nope, you can't get too old for modeling, or too young either. Obviously there are baby models, and "grandparent-type" models. This really falls into the category of "if they make products/clothes for every age, then someone has to model them".

However, something that I hear a whole lot of is that the young teenage years, from about 13-17...these are often referred to as the "dead years". You wouldn't think so at first, because everywhere you look there are teenagers modeling clothes, but its just that there are soooo many teens trying to become models that the jobs start thinning out.

Hope that helps out!
~TwirlIt~
wow
By DaNcInBaBe07 Comments: 11, member since Tue May 25, 2004
On Fri Apr 22, 2005 04:08 PM
Karma to you!

Thanks for taking the time to answer these..
By Luvz2twirl Comments: 141, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Sun Apr 24, 2005 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info! At competition we do gown modeling for titles(DMA, and WTA) My friend actually models for barbizon, and her agency is STONE.
wow
By sophiechick Comments: 89, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Thu Apr 28, 2005 06:12 AM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-06-04 20:36:27 Netspeak is not allowed. Feel free to repost typing out full words.
hey! im new to dance.net but iv been thinkin about modelling for some time and that is a huge help 4 me!thanx very much!!luv sophie ps..karma 4 u!
By Sarahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3890, member since Tue Apr 09, 2002
On Sat Apr 30, 2005 02:45 PM
awesome post :) I have a question though...

I was thinking of being in some print ads (I got approached by a legitimate modeling agency) but I was worried about my skin's condition. Models should have close to perfect skin and I have some blemish scars. Does skin really matter?
re: How can I be a model?? And other FAQ, answered: (karma: 2)
By Tom99uk2003member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1725, member since Mon Feb 02, 2004
On Sat Apr 30, 2005 07:03 PM
hi

good advice, never, never and I mean never pay and agent anything!!

did I say never :D

with the comment about skin, everybody gets the odd spot, has a scar etc, most photos are retouched now so speak to your agent, find a good photographer etc you will still get work if you are pretty, spots, open pores , scars don't make you ugly. It may limit your work a little, but don't let it stop you. A good make-up assistant can do wonders.

If you are good enough you will make it, remember lots of girls without marks etc don't make it, it's a tough cruel business at times , but it's business.

good luck and did I say never pay agents :D

;)

Tom
By PolkaDotmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1185, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Sat Apr 30, 2005 07:26 PM
karma! :D This was a a really great post. I've always been told that I should be a model, ever since I was a little girl. My mother never wanted me to be though. :] But some people are very lucky! My mom and my aunt were both discovered by an agent, but my mom was too shy to do it.
By pattgrant Comments: 158, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Mon May 02, 2005 04:30 PM
my 15 year old daughter is very interested in becoming a model we live in the north of ireland do you know any agencies in our aera as i cant seem to get any on the net
By dancing_rebel Comments: 3151, member since Tue Jan 08, 2002
On Fri May 06, 2005 04:00 PM
great post.

good luck in your modeling carrier!
How can I be a model?? And other FAQ, answered:
By nicedanser Comments: 22, member since Thu Jun 02, 2005
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 04:09 AM
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-07-28 18:18:39 Please don't shout! Turn your Caps off and type in your indoor voice.
HI

I M FROM INDIA I ALSO WOULD LIKETO BE MODEL,? CAN ANY BODY HELP ME TO HOW CAN BE A MODEL IN INDIA?

YOGENDRA
awesome
By MeganJB123 Comments: 2, member since Wed Jun 08, 2005
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 01:09 PM
all this is totally great advice for modeling...if any of this doesn't seem to complicated for you...then you will definetely want to research in depth a little more to know exactly what to do. good luck everyone
By lacey_graham69 Comments: 370, member since Wed Jul 07, 2004
On Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:42 AM
Awesome post!!! Karma!!!
dahts was splendid karma
By bizjamesjr Comments: 1, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:02 PM
Removed by Etoile_Filante (19013) on 2005-06-20 23:59:01 4 and daht ar not words (by the way typing that has as many letters than daht, I don't see the point of using wrong words)
BIGups 4 daht won'derful post
very tight
By KSBlondeEdancer1 Comments: 568, member since Fri Jun 28, 2002
On Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:38 AM
good post that was really informative *karma* :)
By DancerX_O Comments: 59, member since Mon Jul 11, 2005
On Mon Jul 11, 2005 04:04 PM
I am with you. My mom and I are looking into modeling. My mom says I am pretty enough for it. I think it would be fun. And I think if you want to be a model, GO BE A MODEL!!! Do what makes you happy! I hope it works out for you.
By DancerX_O Comments: 59, member since Mon Jul 11, 2005
On Mon Jul 11, 2005 04:06 PM
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-07-28 18:18:11 Pointless post please dont star farm!
hi
By xx_angelchild_xx Comments: 52, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:35 PM
thank you for this info. its really useful...i have been interested in modelling for a long time but not really known how to go about doing something about it!!! thanks!! xxx
Modelling scams !!!
By photocolin Comments: 1, member since Mon Aug 29, 2005
On Mon Aug 29, 2005 09:14 AM
Edited by photocolin (139841) on 2005-08-29 09:17:11
Edited by photocolin (139841) on 2005-08-29 09:19:35
As a photographer, l am frequently asked `Can you make me a model` The simple answer is `no` but hopefully l can give you some advice and hopefully point you in the right direction.

The first point and it has been stated many times in these forums but stands repeating time and time again is. NEVER give anyone any fees or payment* of any kind. No booking fees, no money for agency pictures, nothing !!! If an agency thinks your good enough to go on there books they will do so and only when they have found you work will fees, both yours and theres, be a point of conversation.

Do not be lulled into a false sense of security by glossy brochures, flashy set-ups and smooth talkers. A reputable agency will never promise you the world and will certainly never demand any monies `up front`.

So how does the potential model get started ? Well you need a portfolio of pictures, approx ten, certainly no more more than twenty. These should be high quality, well printed and presented photographs. Ideally a mixture of head through to full length shots, no need to go overboard with the posing just as long as they show your versatility and style. If you know a photographer; not a family friend who has a `good camera`, then so much the better. If not ask around at your dance school or among people who have had pictures taken that they are happy with.

Make contact with the photographer and tell him/her what sort of pictures you require. Get a contact number and web site address, do not give out your number at this stage. Some photographers will take pictures on a `time for pictures` basis. This allows them to build up a degree of variety in there own portfolios and gives the model pictures without spending vast sums of money. In addition the potential model gets useful time in front of the camera developing there skills and confidence.

If after the usual checks you are happy and an appointment has been made, you should go along with a chaperone. If the photographer does not agree to this, cancel any arrangements immediately. Tell someone where you are going and what time you should be expected back. Ensure you have a mobile phone and sufficient cash for transport with you. In other words, `think safe`.

If all this sounds scary l apologise but over the many years l have been a photographer and having spoken to the girls l work with. I realise there are some strange people not to say `pervy` out there and the photographic business seem to attract more than its fair share.

Having pictures taken should be a `fun thing` but unfortunately there are some nasty scams around and people doing and claiming things they are not. There is a whole lot more of advice the potential model needs. What to wear, make-up, posing etc; but to list all this would make this correspondence far too long. Suffice to say, modelling like any venture in life is often hard work, but hopefully approached properly can be fun. Many of the girls l`ve photographed over the years have become close friends to myself and my family and we treasure our times working together. If l can help anyone enter the world of photographic modelling; a world l dearly love, and avoid the many pitfalls that await the unwary then l will be pleased to do so.

If any of the information listed here is of any use and you feel you require a little more, please contact me and l will endeavour to answer your queries.

Regards, Colin
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch