Popular Ballet

New Studio-- HELP! by LyricalForever
Hey Everyone:) So in August I made the decision to leave the pre-professional school I was dancing...

Forum: Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5
Jazz - Professionals
is dance a sport, or no????? en>fr fr>en
By lovindancin887 Comments: 107, member since Thu Jul 08, 2004
On Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:47 PM

hey dancers! i am doin a report trying to persuade people to agree that dance is a sport and i need some second opinions from professionals, or just opinionated people so would you please reply to this message asap!!!! i need info soooooon!!!!!!

lovindancin887

115 Replies to is dance a sport, or no?????

re: is dance a sport, or no????? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12798, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:48 PM
Dance is not a sport, it's an art.
re: is dance a sport, or no????? en>fr fr>en
By Tdancin807 Comments: 128, member since Tue Apr 15, 2003
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:27 PM
Dance is a SPORT.... you practice it and compete against other people, therefore it is a sport. If it was an art it would be like painting, or creating music... they just don't go to together, Therfore it is a sport!
By lyricalgirl87 Comments: 698, member since Thu Jul 15, 2004
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:27 PM
i think it is! the definition for sport is a Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. that pretty much fits dance. it's a physical activity, it has rules like keep your turnout, point your feet, etc., and many people compete it.
By dancing_barbie17 Comments: 213, member since Sat Mar 12, 2005
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 01:53 PM
I totally agree with acrylicdrama, dance is not a sport, it is an art!
lv jen x
By tanztanztanzPremium member Comments: 441, member since Mon Oct 04, 2004
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 02:01 PM
If figure skating is a sport, and ballroom dancing is a sport, then so too is dance! Even if we are not dancing for competition and more involved in the art of dancing, it requires as much dedication, athleticism, physical strength and sacrifice as any sport!
By gr8t Comments: 557, member since Fri Oct 17, 2003
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 04:15 PM
All the great dance teachers must be turning in there graves hearing people say dance is a sport. You can call it a physical activity. Dance was never created to go to a competition and compete. Thats something that has developed recently compared to the time dance started. Its definitely an art. Check any arts listing and dance is one of them. Arts are done for the enjoyment of creating either for yourself or for others. It wasn't created to compete. If you wanted to be a true dancer in the professional world you should have known this already.If you don't then you will have a rude awakening.
By ballerina_babe76 Comments: 184, member since Sat Mar 05, 2005
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 07:43 PM
In my opinion No, dancing is not a sport because it is an art. However, because dancing is not a sport that does not mean that it is not as strenuous a physical activity as another team sport out there.
By JulieBDancerPremium member Comments: 1070, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 08:02 PM
What a great question for this web site. I think the beauty of dance is it's both! It's art because of the creativity but dancers are athletes so therefore it's also a sport. I could care less about competing, I think it's the training, conditioning and dedication that makes it a sport. Why do pro ball players take ballet and jazz? Because of the artistic aspect. No, but because it makes them better athletes. (Many athletes compete only to pay the bills so they can continue to do what they love.) This opinion is from a person who has been in this business as a student (always), teacher and professional dancer for 30+ years.
By BeautifulTyrant Comments: 64, member since Sat Mar 05, 2005
On Sun May 01, 2005 07:49 PM
I agree with JulieBDancer, dance is both an art and a sport. So it's almost a fine-arts sport! Yes, dance is part of fine arts, but because it is a lot more physical and competative than art and music, it could be a sport. Though with music and art (painting), you are practising and competing, the extreme physical aspect is not there. I'm saying this because moving your arm and what not is physicalÂ… but you get my point here.
By ooolala Comments: 80, member since Sat Apr 16, 2005
On Fri May 06, 2005 04:20 AM
It's an art, cause it has rules and not everyone can do it. Its something like that anyway, i had this whole talk with my teacher lol
By GonnaBeAStar Comments: 3928, member since Wed Feb 20, 2002
On Fri May 06, 2005 04:27 AM
We (at the highland board) have had this descussion a while ago and decided that dance is both a sport and an art.

Either way, dance is a beautiful thing, whether it is done competitively or just for fun. :)
By localmotioner Comments: 73, member since Mon Apr 25, 2005
On Sat May 07, 2005 06:00 PM
to my knowlege dancing has been a sport since 1995. thank you!
By Lives4Dance Comments: 17, member since Mon Mar 21, 2005
On Sat May 07, 2005 07:30 PM
Dancing is 100% a SPORT!!! i dont care who says it isnt, becasue our team works our butts off more than basketball,volleyball, etc! You run, workout, stretch, and dance, what else to you need to know, all these things point to a sport! It is a very strenuous and physical sport and not everyone can do it. ITS A SPORT!
By xxbunheadxx Comments: 121, member since Sat Nov 22, 2003
On Sat May 07, 2005 10:45 PM
Though I do agree that dance can be categorized as an art...I do think that it is a sport...what exactly do u do in sports? You sweat, you practice, you train hard, you stirve to succeed, you compete....hmmm all of this sounds like dance to me....and tho some define a sport as something in the olympics...um ok i think football is a sport but is that in the olympics? NO!!!
By kpkat Comments: 132, member since Sun May 23, 2004
On Sun May 08, 2005 10:13 AM
Who is out there teaching young people today that dance is just a sport? Dance is a creative and expressive form of art. Just as painters use paint and brushes to create beautiful pictures, dancers use their bodies to create beautiful pieces of movement. There are lots of young people today who are learning that dance is all about who can kick their leg the highest or do the most turns, and they aren't learning where dance comes from or what it is really all about as a performance art. Sure, dance involves a great amount of intense physical activity, but since the only thing a dancer needs to create a masterpiece is his/her body, dancers must train to become the best they can be and keep their instrument in working condition. Just as sculpters practice over and over again until their piece is perfected, or just as musicians must practice daily to become great artists and create new works, dancers train in the studio to perfect and evolve their art form. As stated before by gr8t, all of the old dancers and teachers would definitely be turning in their grave if they knew people thought of dance as a sport.
By Pennyjinx Comments: 33, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Sun May 08, 2005 11:27 PM
Dance is unique in that, if you do it on a stage in front of an audience, it is art. If you do it in front of judges it is a sport.

Maybe really, it's a spArt. There are not too many of those. You don't normally see interpretive bowling on PBS.
By Alyzen Comments: 163, member since Fri Mar 18, 2005
On Tue May 10, 2005 07:05 AM
To me it's both. It's physically demanding like a sport, but it has so much more thought and beauty.
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6897, member since Mon Nov 29, 2004
On Tue May 10, 2005 07:11 AM
do you think dance is a sport? - by danceAHOLIC123. This thread is really old, and not on the boards, but there's a whole bunch of other opinions on it, that can help you. My reply is the last one, and I'm still sticking by it.

le gra,
Emma.x
By hiphopqueen2007 Comments: 20, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Tue May 10, 2005 01:22 PM
Dance is so a sport. It is a fact that dance cause more physical strain on the body than football and there is a ton more injuries.
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3592, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Thu May 12, 2005 02:50 PM
Dancing is 100% a SPORT!!! i dont care who says it isnt, becasue our team works our butts off more than basketball,volleyball, etc! You run, workout, stretch, and dance, what else to you need to know, all these things point to a sport! It is a very strenuous and physical sport and not everyone can do it. ITS A SPORT!

Dance is so a sport. It is a fact that dance cause more physical strain on the body than football and there is a ton more injuries.

Yes, cause that's what makes something a sport right? Hard work and injuries? .. I don't think so.

Dance to me is 100% an art.

Now, I've never been to a footbal practice, hockey practice, baseball, you name it. I don't play those sports, and I doubt very many dancers do. We are in no position to start going on about how much harder our classes are compared to their practices. However, I am in no way saying that dance is easy.

You know, I just find it so devaluing to say that dance is a sport. There is a beauty, and artistry to dance that is so unique and amazing, that to just call it a sport makes it seem like so much less.

Now, to history. Sports have always had the intent of competition. People always competed in sports to be better than someone else - to have a winner. Is the ever really a winner in dance? If you answered yes, god help the dance community.. Dance was done as a way of expressing ones self through movement - not about being the best.

I truly feel sorry for poeple who only dance to compete and win as many trophies as possible. In doing that, they have lost the whole meaning of dance.

And to be completely blunt - if you believe dance is a sport, you can guarantee I will never be a member of an adience watching you.
By VanessaK Comments: 35, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Wed May 18, 2005 11:21 AM
What a heated debate! Well, there is no dispute about the fact that dance is a demanding physical activity that can and should be described as athletic. However, it is incredibly disheartening to realize that so many dancers out there do not understand that communication is the quintessential quality that defines dance. The purpose of our movements, the very reason that dance exists, is to communicate. Sometimes that communication is to no one other than yourself. This is what makes dance an art, and to any dancer who has not yet experienced it as such, I beg you to open your mind and allow the experience to happen.

"If I could tell you what it meant, there would be no point in dancing it."
-Isadora Duncan
By DancinSongQueen Comments: 652, member since Sat Aug 02, 2003
On Sun May 22, 2005 08:31 PM
Yea dance is definately an art. Not a sport...sorry but its true. kpkat says it perfectly!
By AmericanDancer07 Comments: 418, member since Wed Feb 02, 2005
On Tue May 24, 2005 07:01 PM
Dance is a sport, but it is also an art. You compete just like you do in any other sport, but dance is still an art. Just like someone else said it's a SpArt.
By dancingbobcat05 Comments: 1266, member since Sat Mar 30, 2002
On Thu May 26, 2005 08:12 PM
I just call it the sport of the arts. That covers everything.
Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch