Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Polynesian Dance
Welcome to the Polynesian board!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 08:40 AM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-04-21 11:43:13 Heh....I just realized that I was in six grade in 1992...wow has it been that long???? geeze!

Yay...

We have our own board!

Ok...A little about my hula experience....

I started hula when I was in 6th grade and have been dancing it on and off since then....so about 13 years?! Wow....I currently have been concentrating mostly on my Highland and Ballet but I do occasionally pick up my poi balls and practice.

So List your experiences here....tell us about yourself post pictures the works! lol

When I get home tonight I will have to dig out some of my old hula pictures! lol

:D
Maggie

61 Replies to Welcome to the Polynesian board!

re: Welcome to the Polynesian board!
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:26 AM
Oh my goodness, I'm so excited! I can't believe I actually put this into motion and it happened! Enough about me, let's talk about hula!

I teach five students, for now, in the great borough of the Bronx in NY. I studied Hula over a period of 12 years, but became serious about it seven years ago. (I'm still kind of new, so I'm not allowed to post photos, yet!)

Although I'm battling a back injury at this moment, I'm still able to Hula. It's been a real joy to me to have others to dance with since I started teaching it. Well that's it for now. I'll be back later.

(I'm so soooooo jazzed about this!)

Love to all, CG
Re: welcome to the Polynesian board
By mwdancemom Comments: 335, member since Fri Mar 25, 2005
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:12 PM
Hi everyone,
This is great!!!

As my name says, I'm the mom of a midwest dancer. She's a competitive Irish dancer, but has been a hula dancer even longer. The day my daughter was born, my mom said, "You have a girl! I know someone I want her to take hula from when she's old enough." At 4 years old, my daughter started hula dancing and now she's 7... and ADORES it. She takes from an Auntie in the suburbs of Chicago and has gotten to the point of working with the implements and poi balls. She keeps saying that someday she wants to dance hula on a stage in Hawai'i.

Now that she's started to learn poi balls, I've taken them up (again) as well. I tried them out after visiting Hawai'i a few times in high school. Now that my daughter is taking lessons, we practice together and have a lot of fun.

I know that her teacher worries that my daughter has a hard time with the transition between Irish dance and hula, but I think (hope) she's learning how to keep her body free enough to dance hula as compared to Irish. It was easier for her when she was younger to seperate the two. It's been a little harder lately.

I look forward to getting to know all of you. Take care-
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:20 PM
mwdancemom, I don't know if this will help, but a friend of mine used to do this thing to help her kids. They spoke English and Spanish, but a problem came up when they started going to school. They couldn't separate the two. So she had two days a week where nothing but spanish was spoken and then the rest of the week English was spoken.

Maybe you can try the same with dance. One or two days a week, play nothing but Polynesian music, and one or two days a week, play nothing but Irish music. Maybe separating them will help her. It might especially help if the two days for Hula are back to back a day of neutral music and then two days back to back of Irish. (Then again, you could aleady be trying this method, so forgive my putting my two cents in if that's the case.)

Aloha! CG
Re: Polynesian board
On Fri Apr 22, 2005 05:47 PM
Mahalo, CG!

I appreciate your two cents... thank you! It will be a bit easier over the summer when she is able to tone down the irish dancing a bit as she gears up for the hula performance season. Now that she's practicing a bit more, maybe she'll start separating the two again. I just know that she loves both so much, I would hate for her to come to a standstill in either. Talk about diverse interests... these two forms of dance are complete opposites! (But both wonderful, IMHO!! How lucky that she's found TWO art forms that she adores...)

Aloha-
Colleen
On Thu Apr 28, 2005 07:57 AM
I just thought I'd come on and share my new avatar with you guys! Isn't it great! It's the Three Graces, Polynesian style. Thought it only right that it premier on the Polynesian Dance board, and that I not start a new thread about it!

Aloha!
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3271, member since Sun Jan 02, 2005
On Sun May 01, 2005 08:34 PM
Do we get to keep the board? :D
Re: Welcome...
On Sun May 01, 2005 09:33 PM
CG,

I love your new avatar! Very nice.... Thanks for sharing it with us.
By cleoNY Comments: 122, member since Tue May 03, 2005
On Tue May 03, 2005 05:10 PM
Aloha! where do you teach hula? I have a little background in it, and I have been taking hula and tahitian in Manhattan.
On Wed May 04, 2005 02:33 PM
I teach hula in the Bronx. Even though I don't feel I am as qualified as I would like to teach, quite frankly no one else would come to this neighborhood to teach. I know my basics like the back of my hand, and I'm pretty far along into intermediates. I would, by no means, call myself advanced, but I love what I do, and the ladies i'm teaching love it, too. On top of all else, it's so good not dancing alone anymore!
By cleoNY Comments: 122, member since Tue May 03, 2005
On Thu May 05, 2005 04:17 PM
Im sure people would come up to your class. The people in my class come from Astoria, New Jersey, and even Long Island. If you give me more information I could maybe spread the word around here. Good talking!
By danceenthusiast Comments: 16, member since Sat Jun 25, 2005
On Sat Jun 25, 2005 02:41 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I've always wondered about Polynesian dance, because... it's like, mezmerizing! I wonder how people shake their hips like that-- is it in the hips, the feet, legs, what? and what's the difference between Hula, Polynesian, and Tahitian?

dE
By Talima Comments: 4, member since Fri Jun 14, 2002
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 08:58 AM
Oh wow, I havn't been on this site in years, and am psyched there is a Polynesian board!! I am in NY. Live on Long Island, and dance Hula and Tahitian dance. I work for a company and we perform shows all over. i have been dancing since i was 9 years old, and love it!! It is my passion. Anyways, i know a few of you are from NY, where are there classes in NYC? i have heard of Radio Hula, and Hawaii Cultural Foundation. Anywhere else? I always want to expand my talents. Anyone dance Tahitian dance?

Aloha
By raqssharkidancer Comments: 1008, member since Mon Jul 21, 2003
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 09:53 AM
Congrats on the new board! As I know people were asking for it for some time!

happy dancing!
By princessjen Comments: 694, member since Sun Dec 08, 2002
On Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:28 PM
Hi! I just started polynesian/ hula yesterday! I'm excited to do something different. I'm 25, I have done jazz since 3rd grade, tap for 3 years, belly dancing for a year, modern for a year. Right now I'm just doing polynesian and tap.
On Thu Oct 06, 2005 08:39 AM
Do you think Lihn ever comes to the Polynesian board? Just a weird question that was in my head! If you do, Lihn, holla back!
By victorpivert35 Comments: 0, member since Sun Oct 02, 2005
On Wed Oct 12, 2005 02:15 AM
kwlfuby odisuh npwoih pi
By oriflamenca Comments: 176, member since Fri Oct 05, 2007
On Tue Oct 09, 2007 01:19 PM
This board is great! I am only a couple months into learning Tahitian, but I am so in love with it I dont ever want to stop. I started danceing flamenco when I was about 16 but then I followed my heart (aka local boy) off to Hawaii and didnt look back... for a few years. Last year I came back to the mainland by myself so that I could dance Flamenco again.. so now i am getting emails about flamenco class in Hilo, and I am danceing Tahitian in california. I always wanted to try it, but never had the time when I was over there, funny how life goes. I would love to go to Tahiti and check out the danceing there.
By ohanaPremium member Comments: 129, member since Mon Nov 26, 2007
On Fri Nov 30, 2007 01:24 AM
Hi, everyone!

I am new to the boards here, but not new to Polynesian dancing. :)

I started classes at around age 6 with Aunty Genoa Keawe at the local Y. She did it the old style way of letting us learn. I also attended Kamehameha and I learned a lot of music and hula, such as a brief time with Mapuana DeSilva as a high school student. Her husband, Kihei, is my mom's cousin (my mom is a DeSilva).

I have been in Virginia since 1998 due to my husband's job and to further my education. We have 5 kids all with Hawaiian names. :)

I have several home based businesses and I plan to teach hula on Saturdays and maybe Hawaiian quilting, too.

For the longest time I have had a feeling that something was missing in my life. I figured out why. For a Hawaiian living on the "mainland" a life without hula or music is like a life without air. I know it sounds weird, but that is how I feel. :)

Anyway, I am glad I found this boards. Thanks.
By Pualani Comments: 5, member since Sat Jul 12, 2008
On Sat Jul 12, 2008 04:29 AM
Aloha from Europe!

I am a beginner hula dancer and started to learn Tahitian dance by DVD-s. I hope, I'll find a teacher somewhere in Europe, but in the meantime, I need your help.
By xersyz Comments: 2, member since Sat Aug 09, 2008
On Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:11 AM
What dvd's have you been using and where did you get them? I would love to further my (limited) knowledge of Tahitian. Thanks!
By xersyz Comments: 2, member since Sat Aug 09, 2008
On Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:13 AM
What dvd's have you been using and where did you get them? I would love to further my (limited) knowledge of Tahitian. Thanks!
By Punahele Comments: 24, member since Mon Sep 15, 2008
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 09:13 AM
Aloha kakou!

I stumbled upon this site and am so hau'oli I did! I live in the St. Louis area thhese days and have been dancing (Polynesian) for over 35 years. I have a halau (45 haumana) in St. Peters, a suburb of the St. Louis area. I also teach Hula and Tahitian dance to those just wanting to know what it is like at two area community colleges without the commitment to a halau.

Every February, our halau hosts a Hula & Tahitian dance intensive workshop with our Kumu Hula Keali'i Ceballos of Hula Halau Keali'i O Nalani of Merrie Monarch notariety and Tiana & Riki Liufau of World Renouned Nonosina Polynesia, Inc.(www.nonosina.com) This year it is scheduled for Saturday & Sunday February 21 & 22, 2009. If you or someone you know is interested in learning from these talented teachers respond to my post and I will get you an information packet/brochure to you.

Mahalo & Mauruuruu!
Punahele
By Punahele Comments: 24, member since Mon Sep 15, 2008
On Mon Sep 15, 2008 09:39 AM
Aloha kaua e Ohana7,

I live in St. Louis and read your post, it has been awhile soince you posted last, but I hope you have found other Polyfolks to connect with. I have been in St. Louis for 20 years now and I miss my roots too. I am not kama'aina, as I was raised in Southern California, but I do miss being surrounded by my poly brothers and sisters. The things we take for granted...wow. I go back every year now and bring my haumana to study with both Nonosina and Kumu Hula Keali'i Ceballos, whho is our Kumu. I get my fix with them and cry when I have to come home. Although, I understand why God placed me here and my purpose in this part of the country. If you are interested in hula or tahitian dance, we host a workshop annually (February).
Malama pono,
Punahele
By tnite Comments: 8, member since Thu Nov 13, 2008
On Thu Nov 13, 2008 06:41 PM
Aloha from Kaneohe!

I started dancing Hula at age 3 for Hula O Mapuana under the direction of the late Kumu Hula Lani Ogawa. I was also introduced to Tahitian drums beats through her Halau at the end of class where she would have us run drills with the Tahitian drums in the background.
In Elementary I learned Tahitian Basics from my church group for a Polynesian Performance. I really liked it and continued to stick with it but not professionally. I danced throughout the community for church activities and family events.
After getting pregnant with my daughter I wasnt able to perform or dance. I just recently applied as a Polynesian Dance Assistant in January 2008 with Mehetia Productions of Kaneohe, Hawaii. I increased my status to Instructor and now teach my own begining classes with other awesome gals! My daughter (3 years old) now dances with me and I hope she can share the passion for Polynesian Dance like her mother does!
Mehetia Production is expanding! It is under the direction of Charelle Silva since 2002 I think and now we have 3 locations (possibly a 4th location coming soon)throughout the island of Oahu. We perform almost every week at all sorts of events such as weddings or vow renewals, graduation parties, birthday parties, and special gatherings. We've performed hotels, backyards, rec centers, and even on the sand at the beach!
I am the Event Coordinator for the company and if you want any performers or classes let me know! We will be performing at the Kaneohe Christmas Parade on Dec. 6th as our last performance of the year. Please visit our website for more information about our company: mehetiaproductions.com

Mahalo Nui Loa!
Ola
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch