Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3
re: Welcome to the Polynesian board!
By Cpruett Comments: 1, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Wed Feb 04, 2009 05:06 PM
Hello. I live about 30 minutes from St. Louis and i would love to hear more about this workshop. My mother is from the Solomon Islands and after her death I've lost touch with my family and roots. I learned a hula dance from my relatives there and i would love to learn more.
By Punahele Comments: 24, member since Mon Sep 15, 2008
On Wed Feb 04, 2009 09:58 PM
Cpruett!

The workshop is held at St. Charles Community College, you must pre-register before Feb. 6th. Cost is $195.00 for two days (feb 21 &22 9am to 3pm) You also receive a free admission to the evening ho'ike on the 21st. There are groups from all over the US attending and performing. Your lunch is included for both days as well. For more information feel free to contact me at (6360 244-1352 and I can certainly answer any questions you may have. Visit our website at stlouishula.com. To register for the workshop you can call (636) 922-8233, they will take paymnt over the phone. Look forward to hearing from you. Mahalo!
By Lianes Comments: 6, member since Sat Apr 11, 2009
On Sat Apr 11, 2009 03:14 PM
Hello!
I was searching for information about ruru (who can tell me more!) on the net, and I came across this website....

I am from France, and I have just started to dance tahitian. I waited until I could learn with understanding. I refused to start it doing my own way by just looking and following other girls. And I am glad about what I learnt. Some girls at the course had danced for years, and had to correct many habits that stopped them from improving.

Apart from dancing, I am fond of polynesian tattoos! They have meanings. I also like that arm and hand movements have meaning in dancing. I also like the song, drums, and reo ma'ohi (tahitian language)....
By Lianes Comments: 6, member since Sat Apr 11, 2009
On Sat Apr 11, 2009 03:58 PM
I found out what is ruru....
Actually "rūrū" with long vowels (it changes the meaning)
I quote:
"Ruru- freeze ( I normally refere to this move as a shimmy)"
=> rūrū in Tahitian means to shiver because of freezing.
So now I know that this is this movement like shaking sugar over strawberries!!!!
By ohanaPremium member Comments: 129, member since Mon Nov 26, 2007
On Sun Apr 19, 2009 03:46 PM

Aloha e Punahele,

I know it's been a while since I posted, too, but that's because I've been really busy getting my classes organized and I am expanding. I teach Polynesian dancing plus Hawaiian quilting, sewing, and other things, too.

Yes, fortunately, I have met lots of other Polynesians here and Polynesians at heart. In fact, I started a local group to get things going and I also go to demonstrations and Polynesian events.

Anyways, it's nice to be here. :)
By Museidance Comments: 1, member since Sun Apr 26, 2009
On Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:28 PM
Hello ~

Dose anyone can help me to find the tahitian dance class in Oahu?
Because I am a foreigner, it's so hard for me to find the information of tahitian class to drop-in.
What keyword should I search on google? "Ori-tahiti in Oahu"?

Thanks
By tnite Comments: 8, member since Thu Nov 13, 2008
On Mon Apr 27, 2009 03:00 AM
Aloha!

I am an instructor for Mehetia Productions, a Polynesian dance troupe.
I teach Beginning and Intermediate Tahitian Classes.
We have locations all around the island of Oahu!
Check us out at mehetiaproductions.com
Come see our classes and find out if it's a nice fit for you!

Mahalo Nui Loa,
Ola
By no1nct Comments: 15, member since Sat Sep 27, 2003
On Tue May 12, 2009 07:12 AM
Iarona,

I came to Polynesian late in life (25). My best friend is from Hawaii and started teaching a group of friends. That was 13years ago. My background was in jazz and Irish. The only dance I still do is Polynesian.
Since moving to CT 6 years ago I have not been able to find a Halau. I perform at parties and schools with some other wahine and am going to start teaching my first class this week. It is a group of 12 friends. We are splitting the cost to use a room at a local dance studio. If it goes well the owner would like to offer Polynesian as a regular class.
My main focus is Hula. I also do Tahitian, but am way out of practice since my kids were born. I appreciate all the info on drills and fa'arapu. When I get back up to par I will offer Tahitian as well.
Any way-------soooo glad there is a Polyesian board now!!!!
On Tue May 12, 2009 09:25 AM
Aloha kaua!

Welcome to the Polynesian board. I read your thread and want to wish you success.

Who is your Kumu? Do you still communicate with your original Kumu? I ask this because you should talk with your Kumu for his/her permission. It is disrespectful to begin a halau or group with out proper training. If someone were to ask about your (hula) lineage, it is important that you know it.

It speaks volumes as to your knowledge and skill. So, you may say, it's CT, and who's going to know, I haven't found a halau here, nor does anyone that I am teaching know. But, you will know.

Don't teach anything you do not know to be pono, (Good and righteous). I live in Missouri and I battle groups that "say" the teach hula and Tahitian dance, but it isn't anything remotely close to hula or Tahitian dance. It is a shame that people find themselves qualified, because they have danced for a few years or have watched several videos or taken many workshops.

Teaching these cultures is a privilege and folks need to have a real repsect for true knowledge. Not making up movements to fit some Hapa Hau'li song, there is so much to know before you dance and teach it.

I don't mean to sound like I am preaching,or that I am superior, but this is my culture, and it has not been respected and appreciated for many, many years, because of the folks that want to dance and teach it without the mana'o to go with it.

If you have this knowledge and blessing, IMUA with pride and aloha. Share what has been given to you, as true knowledge is meant to be shared.

ALOHA PUMEHANA,
Punahele
By no1nct Comments: 15, member since Sat Sep 27, 2003
On Tue May 12, 2009 03:02 PM
Edited by no1nct (74670) on 2009-05-12 15:12:44
Edited by no1nct (74670) on 2009-05-12 15:15:58
Punahele,
I completely understand your concerns. When I first moved here I actually did find some who "said" the danced Hula and could teach me, however when I went to the class I was dismayed by what I saw. My instructor never considered herself a Kumu Hula since she did not go through 'ûniki even though she has been dancing for over 30years. I find that some call themselves Kumu even when they aren't even 'Ôlapa. I am in regular contact with her as she is one of my best friends and I would not teach against her wishes. She does have quite a lineage as she was taught by her mother, who was taught by her mother and so on. Her mother is pure Hawaiian, which is not that common. When her mom travelled to NY to see us perform she actually cried because of the pride she felt.
When we first learned with Phaedra, she refused to teach any songs in English at all. I don't mean just hapa haole, I mean any. She was very adamant that we learn "Real Hula".
Don't get me wrong, eventually we did learn the Hukilau. She had an appreciation for songs like that as a chapter in her heritage.
She expected me to start teaching 5 years ago and offered to come and do workshops for my students. But I found I was pregnant with my daughter and decided to put it off. Now my kids are 2 and 4 and I an ready to start, but still nervous.
Any way I could go on and on.
On Tue May 12, 2009 10:06 PM
Aloha Kakahiaka!

It's midnight here. So glad that I did not offend. It is so tough to e-mail not knowing how people will take your mana'o, but I am so protective.

I guess I should share my lineage and a bit about my teachings. I have two Kumu (really one Tahitian Dance Master). My Kumu Hula is Kumu Hula Keali'i Ceballos of Merrie Monarch notoriety. I began my dancehuaka'i with the world renowned Nonosina Polynesia. Estella Reid is and was my original Kumu (teacher), She still exisits today, but today, her daughter Riki Liufau and grandchildren are the Master Teachers. Nonosina has been known throughout Tahiti, Hawaii and the mainland US, for their choreography and knowledge in Tahitian dance. nonosina.com
I am taking my haumana to study in two weeks to both Kumu Keali'i and to Nonosina. It is a week filled with dancing and listening.

In February every year, they come to St. Louis to teach folks from all over the USA and Canada, as they do not do workshops anywhere but Missouri. Consider coming to further your Tahitian knowledge, you will not be disappointed.

Good Luck with your new haumana! Mahalo nui for sharing.

a hui hou,
Punahele
By Tahiti_E_Imua Comments: 44, member since Wed May 27, 2009
On Thu May 28, 2009 11:12 AM
Edited by Tahiti_E_Imua (212047) on 2009-05-28 11:15:07
Wow... I did not know there were Polynesian dance boards out there... what a fun community. Anyway, a little about myself. I started dancing when I was younger, just Samoan sasa and siva, the poi and that kind of stuff (my family is from Samoa and New Zealand).

When I was 18 I moved to Hawaii and was hired as a dancer at the Polynesian Cultural Center. I ended up dancing there for 7 years, and it was a great learning experience. I ended up dancing Fijian and Tongan as well, which was something new to me. Anyway, at the same time I was working at PCC, I was also in two outside culture groups - a maori roopu and a tahitian group, both for 3 years or so.

I now live in California, and have continued dancing here, mainly doing Tahitian, but also Samoan, Hawaiian and Maori as well. Mevina, Tiana and Aunty Riki visit several times a year, as they're cousins with my instructor. I don't know how long I've been technically 'dancing' for - it's something I grew up with, and it's just an inherent part of my culture and myself

(PS. Punahele, I think you might know my cousin Derek? He might've been in St. Louis, drumming for that nonosina workshop. I know.... any message board with polynesians in there, and you're sure to find out you're connected in some way...lol..)
On Thu May 28, 2009 03:18 PM
Tahiti E Imua!!

Yes, I am great friends with Derek, he lives in TX and comes to STL often. So he is your cousin, what is your given name? I talk to him everyday.lol. I will see him on June 5th as we are doing a peformance together. Aunty Riki and Grams are my original Kumu. I leave the 10th of June with 8 haumana for CA to go visit Kumu Keali'i and Nonosina. Derek and I began with Nonosina during the very early years...(1960's & 70's)lol, we're telling our age now. Tiana comes to STL with Riki and Grams for the the workshop we host in February. I am hoping Mevina will join us next year. Looking forward to hearing fom you and sharing information with Derek.

Mauruuruu!
PUNAHELE
By Tahiti_E_Imua Comments: 44, member since Wed May 27, 2009
On Thu May 28, 2009 03:56 PM
Edited by Tahiti_E_Imua (212047) on 2009-05-28 15:59:47
Oh wow - so you DO know him...cool. We share the same surname, and his grandfather and my grandfather are brothers. I don't know Derek myself (I might've met him at a family thing when I was younger, not sure), but his brothers Shane and Jarrard were telling me about his drumming and his dance group in Texas. Derek probably knows my dad, Michael - dad used to go down to Fullerton to see the family when Derek's grandparents were still around, back in the 70s, 80s & 90s - Aunty Faiitua, Uncle Ernst - his dad Uncle Olafu & his ukulele & guitar, etc. I think his dad was drumming for a time with a group in Arizona even... I think Uncle Olafu was telling me that a few years back. Anyway, yes, it's the older people I remember more from growing-up, the aunties and uncles that we visited.

Anyway, I think we're 2nd or 3rd cousins, and hopefully we'll meet up some day on the tahiti fete circuit, aye? So you danced with Grams? Awesome. I love Nonosina, and I'm sure Grams must be SO proud to have such talented, creative and passionate grandchildren in Mevina and Tiana. Anyhoo, have fun down in Anaheim next month - and with your performance! One day I'll have to come out to your workshop in Feb...!
On Fri May 29, 2009 08:21 AM
Tahiti E Imua,

So nice to run into folks connected to me and my background. Do you still go to the studio in Anaheim? Do you belong to a group yourself? You might run into Derek or I at Tahiti Fete, but I will be the one sitting in the audience:o) I am too old to dance, not that my haumana are too old, they are att prime age to compete. We have about 40 in our group, but only 15 are in competitive shape. Good chatting with you...

Comment #8313501 deleted

Comment #8333573 deleted

By Cella Comments: 4, member since Sun Feb 08, 2009
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 07:58 PM
hello girls!

I'm soooo sad cz I can't find an instructor for tahitian dance in my country (Brazil)... :(

I've been watching videos but I can't be sure about the techniques.. I have no one to correct me...

Is there anyone interested in coming? hehe... or do any of u have contact with a teacher from here or any other country in south america??? I WANT TO LEARN!!!
On Thu Sep 24, 2009 09:25 PM
As a matter of fact Tiana Liufau, of NONOSINA POLYNESIA,inc. is coming to Brazil, to perform with Paula Fuga October 30th through November 12th. Tiana is one of the world's finest Tahitian dance choreographhers and is a Tahtitan drum master! if you can catch her while she is there, you will have experienced a great find!!Sshe is a rare gem.
By Cella Comments: 4, member since Sun Feb 08, 2009
On Fri Sep 25, 2009 07:39 AM
Right on time!!!!
please tell me more about it!
thank you :)
By kala_i Comments: 9, member since Thu Sep 17, 2009
On Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:08 AM
hi everyone!

so glad to have stumbled upon this board! i've found some really great and helpful information here.

my name is mikaela and i currently live in brooklyn...i've been dancing for almost all my life, started when i was 8 years old in chicago. my teacher there isn't a kumu and never claimed to be but she did the best to teach us what she knew. i am forever grateful to her because without her sharing her love of hula with us, i may have never found and fell in love with the polynesian cultures. both hula and tahitian are HUGE parts of my life and my very being now.

i've spent time studying and dancing in hawaii with my kumu there, James de la Cruz, and was also invited by kumu hula Sonny Ching to join his advanced hula class while I was there for 6 months. it was an amazing amazing experience...one that i will never forget!! i just wish i could take another 6 months to a year off of work to do it again! :)

anyway, just wanted to say hello and share a bit of my dance history with you all. looking forward to some great convos!

peace,
kala'i
By IslaPacifika Comments: 3, member since Fri Jan 08, 2010
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:25 PM
Hi from Chicago!
I have attended the workshop in St. Louis and it was great learning choreography from Nonsina!

I am part of a group that teaches Polynesian dancing. So we learn dances different islands.
By IslaPacifika Comments: 3, member since Fri Jan 08, 2010
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:43 PM
Hi from Chicago!
I have attended the workshop in St. Louis and it was great learning choreography from Nonsina!

I am part of a group that teaches Polynesian dancing. So we learn dances different islands.
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:31 PM
IslaPaciifika,

Are you going this year?? I am te organizer, our halau sponsors it every year..What group do you belong to?

Aloha no,
Punahele
By Cindi Comments: 78, member since Tue Sep 10, 2002
On Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:45 AM
Aloha everyone,
I've been on the board for awhile, sometimes I would stop using dance net for awhile and now I'm coming back to check on it again. Don't know if anyone out there still uses this since there's facebook and everything. I like just having this space too on the net.
One thing I want to learn more about is the specific differences with Marquesas Island and Tongan culture as well as Fiji although that's not Polynesian, they do that sometimes in a luau.
Hit me up if you're interested in sharing notes.
Thanks
Cindi, people call me Kinikia too which is just my name in Hawaiian haha!
Page:
Page 2 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch