Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3
re: Welcome to the Polynesian board!
By Melekini49 Comments: 1, member since Fri Feb 26, 2010
On Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:53 AM
Mikalea! I saw you dance during a seminar in indiana and you have always been in my memories! You are one of the most talented dancers i have ever seen! Absolutely beautiful!
I knew you were moving to Brooklyn and was wondering how you liked it there. I live right across the river in Central Nj-Somerset County. if you can get over here I would love for you to teach aguest class on hula or Tahitian. mary jayne
By lovecats Comments: 57, member since Thu Mar 25, 2010
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 PM
Do you think it's ok to teach yourself some basics from dvds? The next hula class is hundreds of miles away and most classes in my country seem more focused on getting money out of it than teaching one about another culture.

How do you use pois in Hula dancing? I didn't even know they were used, I would love to know more!
By kala_i Comments: 9, member since Thu Sep 17, 2009
On Wed Apr 21, 2010 07:23 AM
Edited by kala_i (216394) on 2010-04-21 07:25:29
oh wow... thank you so much for the wonderful compliment, mary jane, i think i'm blushing! lol

and yes, i would love to come and share some hula and/or tahitian with your group in jersey! i have a car, so it's easy for me to get around. i'm not a full member yet, so i can't send you a private message but my email address is mikaela (dot) joy (at) gmail (dot) com :)
By Punahele Comments: 24, member since Mon Sep 15, 2008
On Wed Apr 21, 2010 07:47 AM
I have always been taught NO, this is not pono, or good. Hula is meant to be shared, but it is transfered too, by mana or spirit of the person teaching it to you. Poi is NOT part of the Hawaiian culture. It is part of the Maori culture, quit different from Hawaii.

If you are truly interested in hula seek knowledge from a true Kumu Hula, kala mai, but where do you live? I may be able to direct you...
Mahalo nui,
Punahele
By lovecats Comments: 57, member since Thu Mar 25, 2010
On Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:17 PM
Thank you for your honest answer!
I live in Essen, Germany. Somehow I stumbled upon a workshop that will be held in my city next month, by one teacher that was educated here:
www.allenalapai.de . . .
What do you think?

Also, thank you for clearing up that poi is part of the Maori culture. I didn't mean to sound disrespectful.
By Punahele Comments: 24, member since Mon Sep 15, 2008
On Fri Apr 23, 2010 09:05 AM
What does the workshop entail? I would investigate a little more. If you are looking to learn about hula, make sure it is about hula as the website looks like it is about lomilomi (massage and spiritual healing) as well as hula. Although the practice of healing and hula are part of the ancient form of Hawaiian religion, it is certainly worthy of the attention, make sure you know what you are wanting to get from your workshop experience.

Foundation is important when wanting to learn. Do you know what level this Kumu will be teaching at? Is it open to ALL, beginners and advanced? At this workshop, you may find others that are truly "in the know" about the Hawaiian culture and will be able to help you along your hula journey. If the workshop is indeed open to ALL, I say go for it, take notes, listen to the Kumu and when appropriate, ask questions. I say, "WHEN APPROPRIATE" because hula should be approached with humility, respect and honesty. I teach all my haumana this the first day they come into my hale (house of hula).

Good luck and enjoy your journey!Looking forward to hearing about your workshop!
Malama pono (Take care)
Punahele
By BonnieLuvsDance Comments: 26, member since Sat May 15, 2010
On Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 AM
How did you manage to get a Polynesian board? I would like to have one for Bollywood dance...
Thanks.
By halauomanulani Comments: 1, member since Fri Jul 02, 2010
On Fri Jul 02, 2010 07:59 PM
Aloha everyone! my name is Keziah : ) I too have gotten a lot of help from this site. so thank all of you for helping me to be a better dancer. I've been dancing since I was 3 which makes it 16 years that I've been mesmerized by both this culture and its dance. I dance in Chicago with Halau O' Manulani and we're always looking for more opportunities to meet other halaus and events so please keep us posted : D

btw: omg!!!! aunty kk! lol that's soo funny to see you here! we miss you soo much. thanks for putting us chicago hula girls on the map lol aunty linda told me that you were going to come a teach soon : ) I hope that's still true because I would love to see you again! mua

xoxo kiki
By love2learn Comments: 23, member since Tue Jan 11, 2011
On Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:32 PM
Is this forum still active? I posted here a while ago, and I haven't seen any activity since. Does anybody know of any facebook groups or anything of that nature that could answer more questions like this wonderful board does? Thanks for your help!
By lanumoli Comments: 3, member since Fri Aug 27, 2010
On Tue Apr 05, 2011 01:08 PM
Hello Celebrian... I was just wondering if you were still teaching Hula and tahitian in the bronx and If I may attend a session... I'm poly but currently moved to NY.
By lanumoli Comments: 3, member since Fri Aug 27, 2010
On Tue Apr 05, 2011 01:51 PM
I so would love to meet you. I live in queens and have a love for polynesian culture. I need to find a kumu and a Halua hula. Well I would like to find one. you seem so cool and not much of hula, tahitian, siva, haka or anything of that nature usually goes on around here. email me. mtrahan228@hotmail.com or lanumoli@gmail.com thanks
By Sparkle8 Comments: 5, member since Sat Aug 10, 2013
On Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:05 PM
Kiaora can u help, I'm doing the fast fa'arapu, now doing it slow to medium pace is sweet, as soon as I go faster my right heel starts to lift up to help balance me on the left othawise I feel like a helicopter wanting to take off and I don't know how to keep both heels down, this is important for me for the hula cook island style, when doing the round circle washing machine am I meant to be pumping equally thru both legs to work my hips? And also I tend to go to a shimmer on the faster fa'arapu as well why is this , are my legs weak as to why I shimmer and its not helping pump thru to the hips
Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch