Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: First Feis
By tighnamara Comments: 263, member since Mon May 12, 2008
On Tue May 13, 2008 11:19 AM
Before my DD competed in her first feis I took her to watch one. We learned so much from that experience! When she finally competed there were a few new things to learn but having been to watch one she *okay okay I* was far less nervous. It was quite an experience and well worth the entrance fee.
By smashedfinger101 Comments: 4, member since Thu Jun 19, 2008
On Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:51 AM
I wish I had this at my first feis.... Oh well, I survived. Feis' are always confusing, and I can see this helping many new dancers.
By reeldancerstep Comments: 116, member since Thu Jun 18, 2009
On Sat Jun 20, 2009 07:41 AM
As a MAID who has committed these sins, let me just add a few points:

Look for a set-up area away from the stage...we thought those chairs were for those watching not those dancing;)

While your dancer is waiting on the line...try to resist every urge to pull a pretend string up from the top of your head, vigorously turn out your hands, smile moronically, and lipword the name of the dance over and over. Yes, that was me at our first feis!! Hanging head in shame...little DD did really well despite all my efforts to make her a bundle of nerves.

Oh and those plastic non-reflective number holders are not encouraged by the North American Feis Commission.
By Gailynn Comments: 22, member since Sat Jun 20, 2009
On Sun Jun 21, 2009 09:38 PM
That was extremely helpful and informative. Only a few more months until my DS's first feis so you helped put me at ease a little.
By newdancingmom Comments: 176, member since Sun Apr 23, 2006
On Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:29 PM
My second dd just danced her first feis.

She was nervous right before starting and I had to take her outside and get her mind off things. Her helpful big sister wasn't being that helpful - she just seemed to make the nerves worse.

Once she got dancing she did great. They combined age groups so she was dancing with girls one and two years older than her. In her reel she placed 5th out of 10 and in her Light Jig she got 1st out of 6. Not bad for a 4 year old who's watched her sister compete for two years and wants to do everything she does.

I agree with finding a space away from the veiwing chairs to stash the gear. I saw many coffee cups knocked over with expensive dresses casually hung over nearby chairs almost get it. Also, this leaves chairs available for those relatives, especially grandparents, who want to watch the dancers.

Another tip, if possible, check out the venue the day before to get your bearings, get registered/dance card, scope out vendors and parking, and check out the food facilities (in case you can't just pop out for a quick coffee or burger it's better to know ahead of time)
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Sat Sep 26, 2009 07:17 PM
Thanks for the advice, I wish I could have known all that before my first feis! I didn't know what it would be like, so I was really nervous.

Here is some advice that I was given at my first feis: If you are doing several dances, don't check to see how you placed in any of them until after your last dance. If you didn't do as well as you'd hoped, and get upset about it, that could affect how you do in your other dances.

Also, anytime it is possible, bring some spending money to a feis. There are usually lots of vendors selling lots of Irish dance themed things, everything from wigs, shoes, and used dresses to T-shirts and practice CDs. I've found that having a brand new CD to listen to on the way home can really cheer me up if I'm dissapointed with my results.
By wendy_sansom Comments: 21, member since Fri Nov 13, 2009
On Wed Dec 02, 2009 05:28 AM
great read and some good advice
By reelmom6 Comments: 3, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 09:32 PM
My youngest daughter is now dancing and i have been out of feising for some time and really excited to take my youngest to her first feis. Thi is a great overview of what happens. Thanks for posting
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Mon Mar 15, 2010 04:58 PM
Counting down to my first feis in over 10 years...I sort of remember how things used to be done but I am so out of practice...Im nervous..34 days...
By brea247 Comments: 43, member since Fri Sep 25, 2009
On Fri Apr 30, 2010 08:08 PM
I can't wait for my first feis! I'm going to use this post as a refrence when i first go. :)
By liveto_dance Comments: 31, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Fri Aug 13, 2010 09:10 AM
hi all,
i dont think this has been said yet (sorry if it has!) that if you compete in novice/beginner and you get 1st, 2nd, 3rd you have to move up a grade (you cannot choose to stay in the beginner grade). but this is only the case if there were 6 or more dancers competing - if not it doesnt affect the grade - thats how it is in england, but not sure about other regions
good luck with your feises!!
By celticmomof3 Comments: 32, member since Sun Jan 23, 2011
On Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:49 AM
Thanks for the post. This really helped us to prepare for the day.
By QueenOf_TheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 617, member since Thu May 12, 2011
On Wed Jun 15, 2011 06:20 PM
Thanks for posting this!!! I'm going to my first feis in a few days so this is really helpful!!!!!
By twinkletoes2021 Comments: 107, member since Sun Mar 18, 2012
On Sun Mar 18, 2012 07:19 PM
Good job this must have taken you awhile to do. very informative. i will use this information when i start competing next year.
By SusanJ Comments: 22, member since Mon Jul 16, 2012
On Fri Jul 27, 2012 02:27 AM
This is very helpful - first time can be so confusing to so many! Nice when experienced dancers/parents take time to help.
By irishprincess24member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 52, member since Sun Sep 02, 2012
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 05:19 PM
feisweb.com is another website some schools post their feiseanna on... I like it a lot because you enter all your info once and ot gets sent out to any feis tou want :)
By SlipjigSuperhero Comments: 32, member since Sun Dec 02, 2012
On Mon Dec 03, 2012 04:32 AM
This was very helpful. Thank you!
By IzzyIRISH Comments: 31, member since Wed Oct 16, 2013
On Wed Nov 06, 2013 02:16 AM
Thank you SO much for doing a Uk version I get so confused with the US version because its so different. I have a few personal questions to ask:

I am a beginner but I am 16 years old- What group will I most probably be put in

I only known the light jig and reel will I be able to compete? and will I be able to compete for trophy

What will I have to do to move up from beginner?

what stuff should i bring for a first timer?

and finally, What do I wear? I have seen the US version which is a shirt and black skirt is this the same as the uk?
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch