Poll: France / France - General

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Do you think that the French language is easy or hard?
By Dance_Addict_16member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 01, 2005 02:02 AM

I was wondering what you all think about french.
I find it quite hard. It's deffinetely harder than english and I'm not just saying that because I'm fluent in english.

33 Replies to Do you think that the French language is easy or hard?

re: Do you think that the French language is easy or hard?
By Iridescencemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 01, 2005 02:20 AM
Apparently, English is the hardest language to learn.

I tried Beginner's French last year and failed miserably. Ah well, I had fun :)
By mintymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 01, 2005 08:51 AM
well for a french person, english is quite easy to learn (compared to german, for instance)
but I think french is difficult for english people, because of the difference between you -tu and you-vous, for ex, or the adjectives...
On Mon May 02, 2005 01:42 PM
I don't confuse the you-tu and the you-vous because I also speak greek and in greek there is the same rule: when you speak to older people you are supposed to say it politely. In french it is vous. Something i find hard is when you want to say for instance: le pantalon bleu, in english you would say the blue trousers, not the trousers blue.
By Etoile_Filantemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 06, 2005 02:44 PM
Minty is right, english is an easy language to learn for frnech people: you don't have so many verbs forms/conjugations, tempses. In french for example we have at least 3 past conjugations.... What is also easy for us in english: a man is he, a woman is she and a thing is it. In french it's not the case, a table is a she a computer is a he, etc.... how easy (in german it's even harder as there is a neutral, and things are not natural, a girl for example is neutral in German!)
By Carabosse
On Mon May 09, 2005 01:49 AM
I think it is a hard language to learn compared to some of the others, mind you i suppose it all depends on how you learn it? If you do it from a book/tape,you do it at your own pace.If you have a tutor it all depends if they make it intresting enough and give you encouragement,as to whether or not you learn ANY language!
Personally i can get by with basic french but i would love to learn more,its just finding the right person to teach it who has patience and can fit around my schedule which is hectic enough as it is!!
By Sadie_Mag_Tanzenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed May 11, 2005 09:26 AM
I find french quite easy,a lot easier than german i think. If i wasnt an english-speaker i would say english is pretty hard to learn because theres so many ways of saying things e.g i swam, i have swum, i went swimming. In french its j'ai nagé -end of.

lv sadie xxx
I Think It Is Both!
By Cindy3
On Wed May 11, 2005 09:43 AM
I killed my first reply, which said I was quaking in my boots at having to take French in graduate school to meet a language requirement. It was a written test and I easily passed it, which put me on Cloud Nine!

Then I found in the real world it is a real challenge to speak French fluently, well enough to have a decent, lively conversation. Of all the languages I have been exposed to, I feel that the French language is by far the most beautiful of all to speak.
By dancing_rebel
On Thu May 12, 2005 05:06 PM
je pense que la lange est tres difficile. Il y a beacoup des regles, et grammaire et TRES TRES TRES DIFFICILE.

i probably spelled some words wrong. But nayway, i think speaking french is much easier then reading/writing.
On Fri May 13, 2005 11:19 AM
Cindy 3- i agree that french is the most beautifulest langauge.
I think it is easier to learn a language if you are in the country where they speak it. Like if I lived in France and wanted to learn french it would probably be much more easier! you have to have the right tutor as well!
Well, even though I think french is quite hard that will never stop me from doing my best to be quite fluent at it! :P
By folkie
On Sun May 15, 2005 11:25 PM
I've been studying french for six years. I just graduated from college and it was my minor. I'm strong in grammar and writing, however, it took 2 months in Belguim speaking the language before I felt comfortable. Learning French from an American professor with an English accent is much different than speaking with native speakers. It just takes some time to get used to.l
By xSupastarxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue May 31, 2005 05:25 AM
I've been learning French for 6 years aswell... I got an A* for my GCSE in it, so I'm taking it this year and next year as well at advanced level, but it's getting harder... I would LOVE to speak it fluently. I would really appreciate it if someone allowed me to add them to my MSN list so I could practice some more. It's sucha beautiful language! PM me if you don't mind! ;)
By Live4Dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 19, 2005 02:29 PM
I am French Speaker native and spoke French my entire life...and I find French very hard! I think that writing in French is complex, lots of exeptions and rules...
I live in the US now (for almost 1 year) and I work, speak and write in English all the time...I found it much easier, even if I still make some mistakes...
My French is getting worse! My mother is horrified!!
and for to swim in the past: Je nageais , j'ai nagé, je nageai, que j'eus nagé, je suis allé nager... So it is NOT true that there is only one way to say J'ai nagé!

Live4Dance
By Just_a_dancer
On Mon Jul 25, 2005 01:38 PM
Piece of cake for me since it's my mothertongue, and I'm also very good at writing it. But I understand that it can cause problems; it is, in fact, a very complex language (compared to English).

Just
Learning French
By mspointe
On Sat Aug 06, 2005 01:02 AM
Hi. I am an American that learned French in high school and college years ago. Tanslating is fairly easy for me and always has been; however, translating people talking in their native French tongue was harder for me due the fast talking and how the words seem to run more together.

mspointe
the-pointe.terrashare.com
(I am still desiging and adding to the site.)
Dance Teacher and Choreographer for Hire
By Angelulu17
On Sun Sep 18, 2005 07:35 PM
I think it is okay-I took 3 years in highschool. I think the hard part os all the different tenses. I also prefer speaking it than writing it
By DejaDerangemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 24, 2005 09:43 PM
Je pense que le français est assez façile, mais assez penible aussi...

M
By blochgalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:56 PM
It's most certainly difficult.

I speak English, and I started learning german when I was thirteen. Despite moving slowly, I had a great teacher. Maybe it was being younger or maybe it was the that it was so similar in structure to English, but I found it easy. The most difficult thing is gender.

I started learning French and it's been very hard. Of course, I've had horrible teachers.
By FunkyFeet_Dancer
On Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:01 AM
Hiya

Well I'm english and I find the french language quite hard!
We're at the point at school where you have to learn all the verbs and know how to change the beginning of words to feminine and masculine, etc.
But yeah I'd say it's quite tricky ;)

Love Lauren xx
By Kerrie_Briget
On Fri Oct 21, 2005 06:42 AM
i don't think it's any easier or harder than any other language, but i found it ok, not too difficult! although, i finished school last year and because i haven't been doing the lessons i am starting to forget the language! I think as with any languages, the more you practise, the easier it becomes!!

~Bridget
By LyricalLove
On Sun Oct 07, 2007 08:35 PM
I take french in school. I think it's pretty easy. I have an A in that class, so apparently I'm doing well. But the only thing hard is that theres like a male and female difference for everything. Or something like that. Lol.
By dreamdancer10
On Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:44 AM
J'adore le francais! C'est tres facile! Sorry I don't have all the accents and stuff. Anyways I love French. Its really easy for me. My favorite word is "quelquefois"! :)
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 17, 2008 07:30 AM
I put that I find it quite easy, I dont know why, I just picked it up easily at school. We started doing it when I was 10 so not sure if that helped? When we went on holiday to France when I was eleven my parents put me in charge of asking for everything for the two weeks! hehehe. Then last year I spent seven months living in the Loire Valley in France. I got through that so therefore my French cant be that bad!
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 21, 2008 12:45 PM
Edited by x_Nic_x (180714) on 2008-05-21 12:48:17
I don't find it hard any more, but I'm practically fluent in French now. I've been learning it since I was about 7 or 8, and I'm 16 now. I recently did a little homestay thing in France, spending about a week living with a French family. I can speak French very well but when it's spoken in it's native tongue, it's so hard to understand! I did find it hard to learn when I first started.

And English is apparently the hardest language to learn. And that is coming from my mum, who's first language is Malay, and she said learning English was hell compared to other languages! We don't really think about it but it is a really a difficult language to learn. I don't think you can really know that though unless you've been brought up without a word of English in your life. Other countries have a lot more exposure to the English language though (movies, songs, etc.) so they can pick it up pretty quickly than we can pick up something like French.

And we do have a LOT of tenses in English. Having less tenses or no vous-tu thing doesn't really make it easier. Think about it. We say "I will go" but also "I'm going" for future, and then there's "I'm going to go" and "I will be going" and so on...
By sweetfeet5
On Thu May 29, 2008 01:36 PM
I've been taking French in school for about two years now. I think it's pretty easy but I can see where it can be hard too. There are a lot of verbs and it seems they are all conjugated differently. There are also a lot of rules to remeber like some adjectives go after the noun and some go before. The hardest part is trying to translate it in your head when someone else is speaking it. Our French teacher made us watch a movie and set the language to French. It was soo hard to understand! I though I would know a few sentences they were saying but I was lucky if I could pick out a few words. I guess since im not fluent in French it seems that they talk very fast and it takes a while for my mind to catch up.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch