Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

D.T. Captain's Purpose?
By dancingbob
On Tue May 03, 2005 09:03 PM

Why do teams have dance team captains, and some don't? What is the benefit in having one, who is it, and what is their duty that differs from the others on the team?

16 Replies to D.T. Captain's Purpose?

re: D.T. Captain's Purpose?
By crunchyPremium member
On Fri May 06, 2005 05:55 AM
I was on a dance team for 5 years, and we had a captain and a co-captain every year. Here were the captain's responsibilities:

1. Keep track of demerits, absences, etc.
2. Head of the phone tree. The coach only had to call the captain, and the captain had to make sure that everyone got messages.
3. Rehearse the team and help clean dances. Sometimes our captain was asked to choreograph sections in the dance.
4. Keep the team in line.
5. The captain was always someone older on the team and was one of the best on the team. I always viewed it as the captain was the role model for the team.
D.T. Captain's Purpose?
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 09, 2005 08:31 PM
Some captains are excellent leaders and choregraphers. Some teams don't have that type of leadership and have to rely on an advisor.

We have a President and Vice President. We also have a choregrapher, historian and spirit leader.
By Fyrefly525member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jun 01, 2005 02:23 AM
We have a captain regarless of how many people make the officer line, Our captain has to do all of what alyrie said. But most important is the role model. officers are leaders, teachers, choreographers, and rolemodels. The captain for my dance team is second in command after the director, assuming we dont have an assistant director. But when both are gone, the captain is in charge and responsible for warming us up and running dances, and stuff like that.
By dancingrl247
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 08:10 PM
i think mainly to be a role model for the whole team. thats what ours is at least. they do have to work too so ours helps out with:
1. stretching and warming up in practice
2. head of the phone tree thing
3. helps run things at auditions for the next season
4. teaches new members the fight song dance
5. helps our coach with paperwork for the team and stuff
By KaseyLynn
On Tue Jun 14, 2005 09:50 AM
Many have captains to choreograph our dance routines. The co captains on our team are generally for organization. They assign every team member a certain spot in the dance and keep all of our appearances organized.

Kasey Lynn
By DancinDiva06
On Thu Jul 07, 2005 05:06 PM
On my danceline the captain not only runs pratice, ie leading stretches and overseeing that the dance routine runs smoothly and going over stand dances, (I dance football season, which means we do halftime perfomances and dance in the stands when the band plays), but she also is the head of all lines, that means coming into the stadium, onto the field, at parades, ect.) and she calls all the dances in the stands and sometimes on the feild!!! All f those familiar with "black" dance lines should really understand! Not that others don't, but when we play other school that are "far out", they usually don't function like our surrounding schools!!!
As a former Captain
By Rouxz
On Mon Jul 11, 2005 09:23 AM
I was Captain of our high school dance team for two years and lets just say...there was a reason. You need someone to keep order as well as someone to model. Our coach was that in fact, but my co-captain and I ran stretches, routines, and handled any type of other minor team situations. Although I dont feel it should be mandatory, having one is pretty great..especially when that person is you!
Rouxz
By darlin_dancer
On Sat Jul 23, 2005 01:10 PM
our copresidents are in charge of basically everything... our coaches used to dance and can help but our presidents choreograph, (most of everything) lead technique, lead practice, are head of phone trees... and all that other good stuff, i think they are def. necisary
Captains
By sunraydance
On Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:20 PM
Captains should be a liason between coach and team. Sometimes there might be teams that don't have captains because it's hard to find one that won't think of it as a chance to be in charge instead of being responsible. A team captain should try to delegate responsibility to the entire team and that helps everyone try to achieve the same goal, making a good team!
By J_AdoreDansermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 04:02 PM
No offense to ours, but they dont do much. I personally don't even know why we have them. Last year we have a 10 person danceteam with no captains, this year we have a 8 person with 2. Make sense to anyone? Not me.
By dancefreak33455member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Sep 20, 2005 06:33 PM
I'm captain on our team and this what is required of me and the co-
1. stretching and warm ups
2. phone tree
3. music (makeing copies of songs for everyone)
4. times of practices
5. keeping track of demarites

yeah there's more but I don't feel like typin it now.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Oct 23, 2005 03:44 PM
*dies*

Okay, as of now I am really hating the fact that the captain postion was created on our team. There are two captains, one who is awesome! and the other who is horrible. It's not like she doesn't do anything, it's that she does too much! She thinks she's the assistant coach or something. Here's our the captain responsibilitees as far as I know.
1. Keeping track of attendence
2. Leading practices when the coach is unable to be there
3. Lead stretching and warmups while the coach gets stuff readya nd set up
4. Help watch & clean dances
5. Head up phone tree
6. Take care of stuff/assign stuff tot he rest of the team. Like they will help organize fundraisers

I jsut really cannot stand this captain. It takes all of my willpower not to give her attitude. She's not even a ver good dancer. I know that leadership doesn't really depend on how great of a dancer you are, but I think a captain should be one of the best on the team, that way if you have a question about technique and the coach isn't avauilable, the captain would be able to help.
By DancingDeb1214member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Nov 02, 2005 02:33 PM
dancing away,

i can see why it can be hard not to give captains attitude...but sometimes you have to take into consideration how much your captain does for your team! Without her things would be pretty crazy. She was selected as captain for a reson..and if it wasn't for her outstanding dance ability, it must be her leadership skills.

I completely understand how you feel...as sometimes i feel that way on my team too...but then i remember all the things that my captain has done for us.

Stay optomistic and remember that you're captain might do better with your support!
always,
Andi
re: D.T. Captain's Purpose? (karma: 1)
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 17, 2005 01:54 PM
set a good example. A captain is usually picked not because they are the best dancer or because they can keep track of attendance... those are just side duties. It is most important to have someone to look to for guidance and also MOTIVATION. A captain with a bad attitude is the worst.
By KicksElitePoms
On Tue Nov 22, 2005 05:21 PM
Our captain is in charge of:

Keeping the squad on good and postitive terms, and keeping the pep up.

Being a role model (usually a senior) and a great dancer. The captain is chosen by selecting the five oldest girls and then looking at their tryout scores- whoever has the highest is the captain.

Gets to choreograph bits of routines and maybe even full routines.

Helps everyone out where they need it individually, and also calls extra team practices when she feels like we're not in good shape.
By Balletbaby2
On Mon Jan 09, 2006 04:24 PM
I am Leiutenant on the Dance Team (we have 5 officers at the moment, 27 line members). We lead the team in everything. I mean EVERYTHING. Our director is just basically there to make huge desicions, plan events, and keep track of money, enrollment, ect. The Officers choreograph dances, teach technique and dances, keep track of attendance, phone tree, we handle all fights, arguements, and scandles on and off the team, lead the team in games and shows, choose music and costumes, organize rehearsals and workouts, and just about anything else involved with dance/spirit at the school. Its a very hard job, but very rewarding.

ReplySendWatch