Poll: Ballet / Pointe - General

Page:
Page 2 of 51 2 3 4 5
re: What is the Worst Pair of pointe shoes You have ever had? Why?
By Mendelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1920, member since Wed Feb 23, 2005
On Wed May 18, 2005 01:19 PM
Grishko had a model called "Semenyaka" for a short while (around 1998) that was pretty bad. It was supposed to be identical to the Vaganova except that the shank was "already broken in." This meant that the shank was rock solid but arched. Demi-pointe was impossible, as were grand plies. When standing flat, my arch was all tensed up and couldn't change shape as needed; it felt like my foot was in a vise.

I haven't heard anything about Semenyakas on this board, so I guess they must have been discontinued pretty quickly. I love the Vaganovas, though. I'd like to hear from anyone else that has tried the Semenyakas.
By abbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2717, member since Fri Oct 04, 2002
On Wed May 18, 2005 02:35 PM
BLOCH!!! I absolutely hated them.
By DanceMaHeartOut Comments: 201, member since Tue Feb 08, 2005
On Wed May 18, 2005 04:05 PM
I'd vote for the other option if there was one....The worst pair i've had is Cecilia Kerche's. They didn't fit my feet very well ( not all the shoes fault ). But i did not like the way they were made and flexed.

Court*
By Vozrozhdeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 783, member since Sun Jan 23, 2005
On Wed May 18, 2005 07:49 PM
Edited by DDeVor (120254) on 2005-05-18 19:48:41 goofed
I thought I put So Danca's on there.. oh well :(
By DanceFreak247 Comments: 2519, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Wed May 18, 2005 07:59 PM
To the person who hated Russian Pointes - I just bought a pair this weekend and I've been wearing them all week and I ADORE them!! Great shoes and they feel awesome. Maybe your feet just weren't right for them?
By dancingdewsis Comments: 96, member since Sat May 07, 2005
On Thu May 19, 2005 01:21 AM
I would have to say that the second would be gm's becaus I had a pair and I was simply doing relives in center and the shank broke away from the satin and almost made me fall down and realy hurt myself
By x_PoinTe_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 224, member since Sun Nov 07, 2004
On Sat May 21, 2005 05:38 AM
i really don't like gaynor mindens, firstly they don't flatter my feet and give my feet a strange arch, and they're not as comfortable as they are said to be. every week after pointe i would have 5 blisters on each foot, in the same place evry week. but i think the box for too short, the the shoe a bit to lose.
I love my Grisko Vaganova's they are so nice to dance in, even though they have a small platform i find them easy to ballence in hehe
xox
By dannie2 Comments: 14, member since Fri Apr 22, 2005
On Mon May 23, 2005 08:30 AM
i think probably grishkos i absolutly hated those! they made my toes scrunch up and they wouldnt break in at all...blochs have worked the best with my feet so far but im gonna try using gaynor mindons after my blochs get to soft to use
By Rinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2059, member since Wed Apr 21, 2004
On Mon May 23, 2005 08:15 PM
either Bloch synergys, they were 3 quartered, i hated them, i love bloch sonatas, they fit my feet very well, but Griskos look horrible on my feet and you forgot to put that on your list

Sarah
By APrettyBallerina Comments: 395, member since Fri Mar 25, 2005
On Tue May 24, 2005 03:04 PM
Freed Studios II. They wouldn't let me get all the way onto the platform and forced me to do literally everything on the pleats. So my teacher and I cut the shank all the way down to a 1/2 of what it was. A lot of Jet Glue and a lot of pain on my big toe later- I managed to get two more classes out of them. They died when a crack formed down the middle of the box. The crack was so bad I could squeeze the box and easily make the top touch the inside of the shoe. I have a pretty good foot for pointe and these shoes made everything 10xs harder.

--Odette/Odile--
By BalletGrl8member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 367, member since Fri Jan 28, 2005
On Wed May 25, 2005 09:46 PM
oh i had almost forgotten i had these really bad pair of suffolk solos. ugg they were horrible. the shoe's vamp was tooo short so i began to knuckle over and the shank began to bend in the wrong spot so i was knuckling. ugghhh i hated those.
By Pink_Babe Comments: 3, member since Thu Feb 24, 2005
On Thu May 26, 2005 03:11 AM
my worst pointe shoe was gamba because i couldn't dance in them properly and couldn't stay on pointe
By MissKate Comments: 123, member since Mon Sep 20, 2004
On Tue May 31, 2005 08:39 PM
A pair of Principle pointe shoes.....they literally went completely soft and mushy...almost jell-o like....within 3 classes.....and they weren't even long classes....and hr and a half every couple of days. It was horrible!!!
By dancebabe96 Comments: 660, member since Fri Jul 19, 2002
On Tue May 31, 2005 09:27 PM
My worst pair of pointe shoes were capezio nicolines. They were my first pair of pointe shoes. When I was being fitted they kept asking me if the shoes felt good, and I did not know how pointe shoes were suppose to feel. And the fitter was not very good so I ended up with way too small shoes and not a hard enough shank. Those shoes were painful and dead with in a few short beginer pointe classes.
By Ballet_Believer Comments: 1232, member since Sun Dec 29, 2002
On Tue May 31, 2005 10:14 PM
My worst pair was principle's. They were so clunky and ugly. They made my arch look pretty flat and I found the vamp was too long. I hated them and was glad to see them die quickly.
By princess_on_toes Comments: 50, member since Wed Jun 01, 2005
On Wed Jun 01, 2005 09:11 PM
My first pair of pointe shoes were Pavlova's....and they had to be the worst! They were so narrow and broke in very low. My bunions are the proof! ;) Hmmm...I still have them hanging by my bed side, maybe that's where the nightmares come from!? Just kidding!

xxoo Dancingly yours, princess_on_toes
By Atlanta_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 126, member since Fri Jul 30, 2004
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 05:23 PM
bloch aspirations. for some reason i absolutely cannot stand them.
By ShyVioletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 963, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 05:39 AM
Gamba 93s, they were crap for my feet, just didn't feel right while I was dancing and the pasting of the box irritated my foot. Sanshas were also too clunky, they made me look like I had bricks on the end of my feet. I love my Freed Classics (bullshorn maker) and Gaynor Mindens. :)

Cheers,
ShyViolet
By TweenkleToes Comments: 24, member since Tue Jun 21, 2005
On Fri Jun 24, 2005 06:17 AM
Well, I hated my Sansha Recital Pointes... The shank was way too soft and broke in less than half an hour into class... ARGHHHHH!

TweenkleToes
By flex_n_pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 364, member since Mon May 09, 2005
On Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:39 AM
Well, I didn't vote because they weren't on the list, but I hated my first pair, Principal Js. They looked horrid on my feet, took me at least a month to break in, were way too square and a bit too wide (not their fault), and, like Badassballerina said, were really clunky and heavy! Ugh! I hated them so much and just could not wait till they died (I actually tried to soften the box with water so that I would have an excuse to get new ones...heehee). I also for some reason, hated the elastic drawstring...it was weird and looked really odd. Everyone at that studio had these for a first pair, and except for like one person we all hated them! I think everyone got them because they were the only brand the store nearby had besides Sanshas which my teacher did not like so they were convenient to get (my teacher came with all of us for our first pointes). Also, my current pointe shoe fitter thinks it also may have been beacuse they have wide platforms and so would be easier for a beginner to balance on...I guess they didn't think about the fact that not everyone can wear a such a square shoe...I'll never ever buy those again!
By Pongomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6747, member since Sun Oct 19, 2003
On Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:06 AM
i hated freeds when i had them... the vamp was crazy high, and i just couldn't dance in them.
By ABTdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 903, member since Fri Jun 10, 2005
On Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:37 AM
The worst shoe I have ever had is the Canadian Principles.
By Deathica Comments: 52, member since Wed Jun 22, 2005
On Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:44 AM
I currently use Chacott's but I don't hate them, just the fact that I need to buy a new pair every two weeks because of my well pointed foot. The worst pair I ever tried were Gaynor Minden's. I wore them for one class and never went back. They were just extremely the wrong shape for my foot. I think the box was too narrow and the shank not supportive enough.
By Abstractlines Comments: 14, member since Sat Jun 04, 2005
On Fri Jun 24, 2005 09:50 PM
ANYTHING Capezio...by far the worst shoes ever made...all styles (pointe anyways).
By Atlanta_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 126, member since Fri Jul 30, 2004
On Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:41 PM
bloch aspirations... they looked good in the store and then in the first class i hated them but i kept on telling myself oh its becuase theyre not broken in yet...etc..etc. but even after the shanks died they still hurt me SO bad... i had jsut gotten on pointe and they were my 3rd pair so i didnt really know what it was suposed to feel like and i still cant believe i put myself through all that pain...
Page:
Page 2 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch