Forum: Ask a Teacher

Page:
Page 2 of 4: 1 2 3 4
re: Dance Teacher Certification
By TinyDancer924
On Wed Dec 07, 2005 02:43 PM
Two colleges that have teacher certification programs for teaching dance in public schools that were not listed are:

Radford University
Radford, VA
radford.edu

Columbia College
Columbia, SC
www.columbiacollegesc.edu
By gotdance112member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 16, 2006 05:04 PM
Wow that mustve taken forever to right! Thank You So much!
By tutuedtulip
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 02:33 PM
There is also,A.R.B.T.A.(association of Russian Ballet and Theatre Arts)including Ballet,Jazz,Character and Tap.The society's roots are with Vaganova and Legat.
By FeelTheArtsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:04 PM
I'm attending the University of Calgary..it's so nice to see you've listed it as many magazines and dancers don't even know about it!
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:58 PM
I'm originally from Edmonton, so I try to stay current with the happenings of the dance community up there, even though it's been years since I left.

I think it's unfortunate that there is not more known, by the rest of the dance world, about the strong dance community in Alberta. There is a lot of great dance happening there.
By highland503
On Mon Apr 03, 2006 09:20 PM
Edmonton School of Ballet has changed thier website. It is now esbdance.com
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Apr 04, 2006 08:08 PM
Thanks for the new ESB link. That was fun to look through. Brings back so many memories :)
Thanks
By Crazydede07
On Wed Apr 19, 2006 06:52 PM
Thanks so much i been looking everywhere for that type of info!
By devoutdancer
On Sat Jul 21, 2007 04:13 PM
Do you have any information about writing a proposal to teach
dance at an arts center or school?
By lildredrePremium member
On Tue Aug 21, 2007 01:11 PM
I have to add Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green Ohio to the list...thats my alma mater...I received my Bachelor's in Dance Education from there...small program, very student focused alot of one on one attention...loved it, if anyone needs any info PM me...here is a link :)

go2.bgsu.edu . . .
By lilmissdancer86
On Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:20 PM
I attend Dance Masters of america in the summer.. I just finished my 2nd year.... but its a week long program.. they have 1st years, 2nd years, 3rd years, and at the end of the program you take a mini test and get a completion certificate... and once your a 4th year thats when you test on the subjects you want and get certified then they have levals for you to go in once you have compelted 4th year.. You get classes on tap, jazz, ballet are your core classes and what you test on then they have warm up classes, modern, lyrical classes that are still 'learning" classes but are more for you then what you teach... at least for the younger levals.. You get study quides each year and thats what you test off of and what they go by in your classes..... any other questions I would be happy to answer... Im not exactly sure what your looking for... :)
By jazzdancer95
On Wed Aug 29, 2007 05:20 PM
Just so all of you know, even with a Dance Degree,in the state of FLorida unless you have the teaching creditals that you get from education classes along with your dance degree you can not teach and get your permanent certification for public school teaching. They give you three years to get all the education credits before you can get the permanent certification.Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of teaching in thst state.
By Dashuriamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 17, 2007 02:28 PM
Wow - awesome list!

Does anyone have any info about earning a dance teacher's certificate/degree of any kind online?
By netmum
On Tue Sep 18, 2007 03:49 AM
In the UK there is also BBO (British Ballet Organisation). Here schools are usually either RAD or BBO with some combining ISTD, especially for jazz and tap.
By HotWing
On Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:11 AM
i've never heard of being able to get your certification strictly online and if i had i wouldnt recommend it... and i probably wouldnt take it as a reference point...anyone can answer questions...
By jazzdancer95
On Tue Sep 18, 2007 06:46 PM
DMA has a chapter in Texas that might be able to help you on what you need to be able to own a dance studio in Texas. I hpoe this helps you. If you need a phone number or email address for them just call or get on the National DMA website and they can give it to you. Hope this helps.
By DanceRevOSPremium member
On Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:36 AM
i would love to be able to get a dance teahcer's certification online...with 2 kids and running a studio, i don't get out much...maybe through video submission and online testing, i think that would be awesome...if anyone finds something like that, please let me know...by the way...many great teachers have owned a studio and don't have a degree or certification. i have danced my whole life and began teaching in highschool and have been teaching for 10 years now and noone has ever asked me about a degree or certifications. i just opened my own studio 2 years ago. there is also a ballet company down here that the owner is not certified...they are awesome. HOWEVER, there are some people who own a studio that should not 1. because they don't have any dance experience, 2. they don't know how to run a business. 3. they are only in it for the money (ha).
By Damara
On Tue Nov 13, 2007 02:14 PM
hmm after reading everyone's post, I don't think I'm in a rush to be certified. The parents at the studio know me well and I even started a couple of summer classes on my own last yr. My dance teacher, she's the owner of the studio, is weeding herself out of the classes slowly. She's at the age where she cannot dance and demonstrate. She told me that she'd like to start letting me do more classes but she'll still run the business part. and eventually , I'll buy the studio from her. I just thought it was a MUST to be certified from either dma or dea. Is there a book for dummies on how to run a dance studio or something similar to have as a guide on what not to do?
By ballettap
On Mon Nov 26, 2007 09:34 PM
I am certified through Dance Masters. They have a great summer teacher program in Buffaloe NY. Definitely worth going to. If you work for a studio, ask them to pay for it. They can afford it, and it is great for their business. Good luck.
By ballettap
On Mon Nov 26, 2007 09:42 PM
Please read how to run a successful dance studio, by Debbie Roberts.Please train yourself as thouroughly as possible. Get certified in everything. It's good for you!
By CelticDncr27
On Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:07 PM
I know your post was from last year but I just joined the group... I am currently opening up a studio in Northeastern PA. And I was wondering where the Dance Teacher Certification is located
By nikkisixx
On Fri Feb 22, 2008 02:14 PM
This is great but don't forget about Dean college in Massachusetts.
By AmyK
On Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:27 PM
Maybe you could take some business classes instead. At my college it's very easy to get a certificate in entrepreneurship which is essentially running your own business. They teach you all about accounting, keeping books, taxes, etc. I took one class for my dance degree and found it interesting.
By TopHatEva
On Tue May 13, 2008 10:55 AM
Don't forget Towson University!

www.towson.edu . . .
By DancePerspectivePremium member
On Sun Jun 29, 2008 09:22 PM
University of Houston also has dance certification for public school teachers.
Page:
Page 2 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch