Forum: General / Hip Hop / Battles

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: Definition of a battle!!!
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 04:37 PM
You need to add more to the socks in your mouth and not more to your comments...
wack mc's fakin the funk... as always.
Invent
By DavidCTaylor Comments: 24, member since Tue Sep 06, 2005
On Wed Sep 07, 2005 02:00 PM
who wants to battle? popin house dancing b-boying? I am never scared to lose! you dont lose you learn cause you should respect the people you battle, if not why are you showing them your moves? right? so people you dont respect can bite your shtyle and moves? and biting is wack in abattle but biting and improving on other peoples ideas help further our art form. I hve never been to abattle where you get to pick your music that is just nuts, if you are battling by yourself you should freestyle!but if you have a partner rutines are always dope! check your local batte! infact battle of the year is part based on routines. mad crews do routines, infact all crews should do routines! but I am supper dope wanna battle

have fun learn let your soul lead the way.

Dave
By jimmysonfire Comments: 8, member since Sun Aug 28, 2005
On Thu Sep 08, 2005 06:39 PM
well i feel enlightened to say the least thanx v much old bean!
i gotta learn how t do that at sum point!
lol
By markese91 Comments: 32, member since Mon Aug 20, 2007
On Wed Sep 05, 2007 07:11 AM
What you guys are saying is so stupid!! I would post what I posted on my other one, but I'll just copy it and repost below.
On Wed Sep 05, 2007 07:12 AM
You can't DEFINE A BATTLE! and whoever has the audacity to attempt to do so is stupid. Who are you to tell people what a battle is? Dance is an expression of your feelings! There are common curtesies yes but rules NO! That makes me mad the way you think you guys can come and just write what you "say" the definition is. If there's any definition its just two people dancing, in such a way as to prove that one is better than the other.

Yeah and that whole thing about you can't join styles is BS! I battle alot individually whenever I dance and what makes me different, what makes me one of the best where I dance at is the fact that I combine all types of dance!

Furthermore biting is sometimes used to clown some one else. In case you didn't know, biting is when you copy someone elses move duriing a battle. Clowning is when you make fun of them. Sometimes you bite the move to show how wak it was and then you add on some other things! So before you get all high and mighty and declare yourself the government of dance check yourself!
By Nay6 Comments: 19, member since Sat Aug 13, 2005
On Sun Feb 24, 2008 02:14 PM
Ditto!
By Nay6 Comments: 19, member since Sat Aug 13, 2005
On Sun Feb 24, 2008 02:17 PM
Exactly people take battling so literal. It's common sense and should be a good show.
By StepChild612 Comments: 8, member since Tue Jan 29, 2008
On Tue Feb 26, 2008 03:10 PM
why would you waste your run biting someone in a battle? If you got what it takes with real creativity, then roast em with your own moves. And also, it's not a show, it's a battle.
No coffee shop battling please...
By alkh3myst Comments: 15, member since Wed Mar 05, 2008
On Mon Mar 10, 2008 08:23 PM
Biting as mockery is allowed, and often provides a tactical advantage, putting the pressure of embarrassment on your opponent. Although good sportsmanship is always a plus, a battle is a competition.
By Ajaye Comments: 299, member since Thu Dec 23, 2004
On Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:42 AM
Though this comment was left like in 07, I just want to put my 2 cents. In markese91's comment he said the notion of changing styles should be allowed, but lets analyze this. Your battling this cat in popping and about 4 rounds go by and he switches to krumping after obviously running out of stuff to do and his movements get more and more repetitive. To the Dancers eye that person lost respect instantly. Normal people just see this really dope move while dancers see through all of that. Any dancer who knows their craft well knows when you get in a battle that is one style you dont switch styles until the end of the battle. This is just specificly for the sake of real dancers because nothing gets past those who really know the technique behind all of the styles. Personally the person who switches styles is weaker than the person who holds there own in one style. not to say that they may not be versitile but its an unfair advantage to put a breakers power moves up against a Fresno style popper unless the battle started that way.

Ps. Its not biting if you mock someones movements in battle. Its biting when you start to use those movements against others outside of that battle.
On Wed Mar 26, 2008 04:08 PM
I'm going to have to disagree.... Umm, it's pretty much like this, you don't battle a person in one style of battling where I'm from, you battle the person. Period! That means it's all of your dancing credibility versus their's. So, in going with that, I'm not just a popper. I am also not just a krumper. I don't just do theatrics, and I'm not just a showman, I am a performer. I am a dancer and because of that when you battle me, you battle me, not one style.
By StepChild612 Comments: 8, member since Tue Jan 29, 2008
On Fri Apr 18, 2008 03:35 PM
Ajay is correct. If you feel you can mix styles, then bring that concept to a battle like Freestyle Session, or Out For Fame, or Lords of the Floor, Battle of the Year, etc....you will then experience in those bigger battles what Ajaye was talking about when it comes to a dancers Battle Ettiquette, your action speaks louder than words, if you battling in Popping, and you switch up, that means you tap out bro, you lose! Versatility is fine, but pick your battles wisely or you might not look like you expected or even get the respect that you wanted from your opponent or dancers.

Peace,
StepChild
Rock Lordz
By BoogieKnight Comments: 21, member since Fri Jul 03, 2009
On Thu Jul 09, 2009 07:04 AM
the only small thing i see is the biting or copying moves bit. in a battle its custom to steal a signature move of your opponent because its like a crowd hype. like if someone is known for doing a small chest pop rhythmically, their opponent would do it in the middle of a routine for comedy giving him the edge in crowd favoritism.
By tappingangel Comments: 908, member since Sun Apr 27, 2003
On Tue Jul 21, 2009 02:09 AM
BoogieKnight wrote:

the only small thing i see is the biting or copying moves bit. in a battle its custom to steal a signature move of your opponent because its like a crowd hype. like if someone is known for doing a small chest pop rhythmically, their opponent would do it in the middle of a routine for comedy giving him the edge in crowd favoritism.

Haha. Oh, the memories.

This is on key. Usually the comedy is stressed..you almost want to do their signature over-exaggeratedly. It's insulting, and gets the crowd going. You don't always want to do it...just when your opponent thinks a little too highly of themselves, which unfortunately you see too much of nowadays. ;]

Just keep in mind that battling isn't about being cocky. It's about learning from each other, and getting respect for yourself. Battles should NEVER end in a fight; although sometimes it happens. Cockier does not equal better.
By MasseY_KusToM Comments: 23, member since Wed Jun 10, 2009
On Wed Aug 05, 2009 05:39 AM
Invent wrote:

I've personally seen some housers that can hang with bboys... and even beat them.

As for the biting... I'm not talking about imitating and mocking a move your opponent just did... I'm talking about biting other people's moves (particularly signiature moves...).

Something like the Wiggles Walk, or something that Bionic Man does (he has many signiature moves)... or the Re-run (it is a specific move that Fred Berry AKA Mr. Penguin AKA Re-Run (on the tv show "What's Happenin'") it was a move he did WHILE locking, but it wasn't the style OF locking, as most mistake the Re-run with locking).

Hong 10 Freeze lol ,, and thanks for the information man.

InventSizzle
By ABDCcasting Comments: 2, member since Mon Nov 02, 2009
On Mon Nov 02, 2009 04:13 PM
America's Best Dance Crew is returning to MTV for Season 5. We'll be holding auditions in Los Angeles, New York, Houston, Boston, Denver and Atlanta in November and December. We're looking for crews of 5-7 dancers (18 yrs and older).

All you have to do is prepare a 1-2 minute choreographed routine. This is an open call audition, but we're also booking PRIORITY auditions - get on the list by calling 888-505-ABDC (2232) or emailing abdc@mtv.com

Also, check out myspace.com/dancecrewcasting for more info!
By the5th Comments: 23, member since Mon Oct 12, 2009
On Sat Mar 27, 2010 09:30 AM
very interesting perspective you have, cant say that I agree, to each his own I guess!
By hipo1 Comments: 27, member since Wed Nov 09, 2011
On Wed Nov 16, 2011 05:07 AM
TNX invent for the cool information. It really helped my knowledge.
peace

Comment #10183770 deleted

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch