Forum: Advice / Recitals & Performing

Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5
Recitals & Performing
the ULTIMATE competition/perf ormance checklist! (karma: 29)
By TapOutLoud Comments: 995, member since Sat Mar 12, 2005
On Tue May 24, 2005 04:28 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-07-16 16:52:36

-BOBBY PINS- just in case you have trouble keeping you hair piece to stay put. (Hint- cross cross bobby pis, so that they make an X, it holds better than just putting them parallell to eachother)

-HAIRPINS- they help keep your bun flatter!!

-HAIR ELASTICS- if one of your hair ties break, just replace it!

-HAIRNETS- always good to have extra!

-HAIRSPRAY- oh no! my hair it frizzie! tame whispies with some hair spray

-HAIR GEL- you dont want you hair to go anywhere.

-CLEAR NAIL POLISH- OH NO.. i have a run in my tights!!, use clear nail polish on the ends of the run, to prevent them from growing longer.

-SPARE TIGHTS- I just put a HUGE hole in my tights! always need to bring extra just in case, the one time you forget to, is the one time you will need them!

-SAFETY PINS- my strap broke right before i was about to go onstage! pin it!! its easier!

-SEWING KIT- I ripped my costume! but i have time before i go onstage.. just stitch it up quickly!

-SCISSORS- i have loose threads on my costume!, just snip them!

-BAND-AIDS- I stepped on spmething sharp and now im bleeding!.. bandages are good!.. OR ... I have a tattoo and a 2 piece costume, and i do twant the judges to see it, put a bandage over it!

-STATIC GUARD- My costume is sticking to my legs!.. just spray some static guard on you legs and you are good to go (FYI hairspary works ok too)

-CLEAR EARRINGS- I just got my ears pierced, and i cant wear earring on stage, i wont match! just pop in some clear ones, and no one will notice!

-NAIL POLISH REMOVER- Oh no iforgot to take of my nail polish... some one always does!!

-BABY POWDER- i have a really quick change and i have to change tights!! use some baby powder, to make you legs less sticky when they are sweaty.. OR ... its been a long dance day, and my feet smeel horrid! just sprinkle some on your feet to keep them fresh!!

-LAUNDRY BASKET- im really un organized at competiton! bring a laundry basket, and put you costumes in there when you are done, then when you get home, ro organize them.

-HOT/COLD PACKS- you never know if someone will get hurt!

-WATER BOTTLE- keep yourself hydrated!

-TAMPONS- i always get my period at competion, Bring some extras, just in case of leaks!

and of course...
-A GOOD ATTITUDE!!

Well hope this helps people... i find that it really helps to have a checklist at competition... feel free to add your ideas!!! i find that whenever i dont bring something like nail polish remover, some one always needs it, so better safe than sorry!!!.. :D

102 Replies to the ULTIMATE competition/perf ormance checklist!

re: the ULTIMATE competition/perf ormance checklist!
By Alyzen Comments: 163, member since Fri Mar 18, 2005
On Tue May 24, 2005 09:07 PM
Thanks for the post. I find I'm always scrambling to get everything together right before recital, having a list to refer to is SO helpful!
By OnstageForevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1232, member since Wed May 05, 2004
On Wed May 25, 2005 03:00 PM
Great post! Karma coming your way...
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Jul 16, 2005 04:59 PM
Hairspray is good for everything. If your leaving for a dance competition, without a STIFF hold hairspray in your bag, you should have your head examined. :D

t
By cosmo56 Comments: 119, member since Sun Jun 26, 2005
On Sun Jul 17, 2005 08:39 AM
Don't forget if the floor is slippery you can brush on goo gone and the floor will not be as slippery. Make sure you use a small amount and you let it dry completely.
By TwirlQueen Comments: 581, member since Mon Feb 23, 2004
On Sun Jul 17, 2005 03:17 PM
Edited by TwirlQueen (85266) on 2005-07-17 15:17:25 misspelled
Edited by TwirlQueen (85266) on 2005-07-17 15:18:24
Great Post!

Dont't Forget
* MAKE-UP- especially Lip Stick

* Q-TIPS- always seem to come in handy

* DEODORANT & BODY SPRAY- no ones wants to smell bad

* HIGHLIGHTER- so you can highlight your name/dance in the program

* ZIPPER SWEAT SHIRT- sometimes competitions are freezing!

* CAMERA- take lots of pictures to remember your day!

* APPROPRIATE DANCE SHOES- tap, ballet, jazz, jazz sneakers, modern,
lyrical- can't tell you how many people mess this one up- they are borrowing other people's shoes at the last minute. Drives me crazy!
By TapperGirl Comments: 747, member since Thu Jun 17, 2004
On Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:51 PM
Great post! That laundry basket idea is excellent, I am so going to do that!
I have some:

- ENERGY DRINK, I find that a nice energy drink gives me... well, energy, to help keep me awake for the day!
- WALKMAN, can be helpful, especially if you want to have a last minute practise backstage.
- TISSUES, 'Ahhchoo! Oh no...' or 'No! I just smooshed all my lipstick and I look like a clown'
By catytheballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 651, member since Mon Sep 06, 2004
On Fri Jul 22, 2005 07:38 PM
great post! really informative! KARMA FOR YOU!!

Caty!
By TapOutLoud Comments: 995, member since Sat Mar 12, 2005
On Sun Jul 24, 2005 07:06 AM
Tappergirl, i dont know if energy drinks are such a good idea though, i see what you mean, but if its a long competition, and you have a lot of dances, the energy drink, will give you tons of energy for a little while, then you'll crash... but gatorade and powerade and things like that are good... but dont forget WATER!!!... and fruit, someone in my studio also always brings a HUGE fruit salad to competition, it tastes really good, when your hungry or thirsty too...
re: the ULTIMATE competition/perf ormance checklist! (karma: 4)
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25854, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Tue Jul 26, 2005 08:39 AM
Here is mine to add to the above:

I also add "behavior" to my list.

Performance “First Aid” Kit

Since the dance team students will be attending many shows and competitions, it is important that they are ready for any situation. Many times one or two parents have supplied emergency items repeatedly to the same students without repayment in kind.

For future performances, all team members are required to carry the following items:

1. Bottled water or Gatorade (No SODA or FRUIT JUICE, too much sugar).
2. Fruit or non-sugary snacks (too much sugar will actually tire you after the initial rush).
3. Safety pins - all sizes.
4. Bobby Pins to match your hair color and/or your headpieces.
5. Unscented extra hold "pump" hairspray (no aerosol, in an enclosed dressing room, the fumes can make people ill)
6. 5 or more hairnets to match your hair.
7. Spring clips to match hair.
8. Plastic hair bands (no scrunchies or real rubber).
9. Scissors needle and thread to match costumes.
10. 2 extra pair of tights for each color needed.
11. Nail polish remover (colored nail polish is not allowed for competitions).
12. Clear nail polish to repair small holes in tights.
13. Self-stick rubber shoe triangles in case needed for slippery floors.
14. Non-staining antiperspirant.
15. False eyelashes (black) and non-allergenic eyelash glue (2 pair).
16. Complete make up kit.
17. Make up remover.
18. Baby wipes for make-up removal and clean up.
19. SHOUT wipes to remove make up (or lord forgive, food stains).
20. Pain Killer (Aleve, Advil, or Aspirin).
21. Ace bandages.
22. Optional - Small pillow and blanket (if you are tired and need to lie down).
23. Team suit to wear when not dancing.

All costumes must be near (wrinkle and tear free). All shoes and tights must be clean and undamaged.
Thank you and good luck to you in all of your upcoming competitions.

Competition Helpful Hints

1. Parents as well as students need to be supportive of every member of our team and our competitors.... Rudeness is not tolerated!
Please be courteous during the awards ceremony. Applaud for EVERYONE, not just those from our studio.
2. Please be courteous when accepting awards. Always except your award with a smile and a "Thank you very much" to the person that hands it to you.
3. Make it a point to get to know other dancers from other studios.
4. Do not forget to wear your team suits.
5. Do not wear underpants under your costume - tights, only or dance belt for boys. (Tights and dance belts ARE your underwear for dance).
6. Did you buy back up tights?
7. Nail polish should be clear or skin toned, only.
8. No jewelry, including earrings (no matter where they are on your body).
9. Make up should be applied before arriving at competition so we can rehearse. We will not wait for you. Learn to do your own make up (if you are age 13 and above). Part of competitions is learning to responsible for your own make up and costumes. Mom can help but it is up to you to act grown up and to put your costumes together and make sure you have everything. Boys wear base, light blush and some eye make up to bring out features without looking made up.
10. All dancers are to wear the same color lipstick (except boys).
11. If you do not know how to do your hair, practice beforehand and find out how it should be done, way in advance of the competition. It must have NO wispy pieces and withstand a windstorm.
12. Label EVERYTHING you are bringing! Do not put your full name, just last name and Academy phone number. (Shoes, hats, tights, gloves, accessories, make-up cases, costume garment bags, dance bags, etc.)
13. Use a labeled garment bag with your last name and Academy phone number. Bring a portable garment rack to hang costumes on.
14. Put every costume back in your bag as soon as you take it off. A good idea is to bring one of those large plastic tubs or drawer organizers with wheels. If you have a fast change, you can toss your last costume in there and worry about reorganizing when you have time. Costume pieces are irreplaceable, so if you lose one, you will not be able to perform.
15. Bring an old button down shirt to cover costumes when eating to keep dropped food off your costumes.
16. Bring lots of water!! There may be none available or very expensive if they sell it. No candy or sugary snacks until you are done performing.
17. Keep one pair of tights on under your other tights to make it easier when you are perspiring.
18. Baby powder or spray anti-perpsirent and a towel are helpful when you are perspiring.
19. A small touch of Vaseline on your top teeth allows those smiles to slide easily over the teeth when you are nervous and have a dry mouth (an old show biz trick).
20. A nude colored camisole leotard is a good idea for those uncomfortable changing in an open dressing room. You may wear this under everything but it cannot show. You must pin down all straps and other parts that may show from under the costume. All bra straps must be hidden, too.
21. STAY with your group. Schedules can change in an instant and if you wander off, you could miss performing. We will not go searching for you. If you are not there when we need you, your class will perform without you, or if a solo, you will miss your opportunity. If you must leave to use the bathroom, you must tell someone where you are going.
22. And last, BUT NOT LEAST… Have fun and if you mess up, smile anyway!!
On Tue Jul 26, 2005 08:41 AM
I forgot to add a new thing we use that pageant people use, "butt glue". It is a sticky roll on that we use to keep things from riding up or down. Good for tops that have a mind of their own, long gloves that glide down, etc.
By Mami_Bailadora Comments: 167, member since Mon Mar 28, 2005
On Thu Jul 28, 2005 01:31 AM
The Mom- Carries everything your guys mentioned, and more!
:D
By MisS_sHoNa Comments: 478, member since Sun May 30, 2004
On Sat Jul 30, 2005 02:12 AM
ahhhhhh!!!! just what ive always needed!!!
By iDOhiphop_hula Comments: 23, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 08:33 PM
wow this really helped me i wrote it downa dn i followed it and it worked very well for me and my team!
By competeTara Comments: 322, member since Fri Aug 05, 2005
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:18 AM
Great List I am going to implete into my competition packets. Thanks for a great Idea.
By competeTara Comments: 322, member since Fri Aug 05, 2005
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:20 AM
Great List. Some parents are not always as organized as you would like. However This list may help my parents. thank you
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:47 AM
I always make sure all parents get them, and NOT once per year, either.

I carry extra tights, bobby pins, safety pins, etc. just in case. If a kid needs it asap and we are not near a dressing room, we have it. I will charge them for the tights.
By wolfdancer212member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 249, member since Mon Jul 25, 2005
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:36 AM
I would recommend a nail clipper, if not a full mini-manicure kit (nail clipper, scissors, file, pick) because you never know when you're going to need to cut a nail, especially hangnails that can catch in your costume and create huge rips.

And for contact wearers-NEVER forget eye drops! If your eyes are stinging right before you go on, it'll distract you from dancing and could make you mess up! Or you may feel you need to take out your contacts because they are hurting so much, and then you can barely see onstage!
By DancerXOXO2005 Comments: 20, member since Thu Aug 25, 2005
On Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:43 AM
That is an awesome checklist... It even has the "just in case" necessities of dance competitions... Thanks so much
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Sat Sep 03, 2005 06:43 PM
Thats very helpful! I'll defeinatly be givng that a quick glance before my next comp! :D
By PointeDancer101 Comments: 88, member since Tue Sep 13, 2005
On Tue Sep 13, 2005 09:31 AM
Wow, What a great post. Im always the one to forget things even though I prepare with a week in advance. I have printed up this list and posted it on my bulliten board so I will never be the "one without bobby pins" or that girl who needs to borrow hairspray.

Love PointeDancer101
By dancegurl728 Comments: 83, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Mon Sep 19, 2005 05:21 PM
Thanks for the tips i needed them
By i_love_ballet99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 261, member since Fri Jul 04, 2003
On Tue Sep 27, 2005 07:01 PM
great list, I will look at this again when I go to my next performance!
By IdrathrbdancinPremium member Comments: 80, member since Wed Sep 14, 2005
On Sun Oct 02, 2005 06:56 PM
Thanks a lot! Also, don't forget extra hairnets for bins... I always rip mine.
By SoCKettemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 72, member since Sat Oct 01, 2005
On Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:29 PM
This is great! I will definately use this!
Page:
Page 1 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch