Forum: Advice / Recitals & Performing

Page:
Page 4 of 51 2 3 4 5
re: the ULTIMATE competition/perf ormance checklist!
By Dancer4life217 Comments: 6, member since Wed Nov 14, 2007
On Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:00 PM
love it

check out my make up list

www.dance.net . . .
add on to it and post coments

once again love it
By abcdancer626 Comments: 105, member since Sun Jan 20, 2008
On Sun Jan 20, 2008 09:03 PM
um...i dont know if any body already said this(i kinda got bored of reading them and just skipped to the bottom) but make sure you have ALL COSTUMES AND PIECES i.e. headpiece, choker, earrings, rhinstone tights(if your studio uses them), i tend to make a special checklist for all year of all costumes and the pieces that go with each one and print out a new copy before each trip!
-sam
By Dancefreak4eva Comments: 326, member since Thu Jun 14, 2007
On Tue Feb 05, 2008 07:48 PM
great pot all I hve to say to bring less is that at my sudio we don't use nail polish to stop rips hairpray works to!!!! so that way hairspray is multi-purpose!!!!
By cbcjazzspazz Comments: 326, member since Mon May 14, 2007
On Wed Feb 06, 2008 04:11 PM
Thanks a lot! Karma! It's exactly what I need too, I'm always forgetting things and it's awesome to be reminded about all this stuff!
By tresbienmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1104, member since Sun Feb 17, 2008
On Mon Feb 18, 2008 01:43 PM
Also, mix coke and water in a little spray bottle and spray it on the bottom of your feet or shoes to not slip on stage.
By maddz Comments: 380, member since Fri Nov 16, 2007
On Thu Feb 28, 2008 02:23 PM
yupp thats what I need
By hfaye09 Comments: 14, member since Mon Mar 03, 2008
On Tue Mar 11, 2008 04:45 PM
way cool!!!
i'm always using my friends stuff.
The laundrey basket is like the best thing i've ever done!
By dancechick21 Comments: 14, member since Fri Apr 11, 2008
On Fri Apr 11, 2008 08:27 PM
This is the true list! It's every thing I need and more!
By KangarooPawmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2463, member since Wed May 18, 2005
On Sun Apr 20, 2008 09:34 AM
At my studio, I'm a dancer, teacher, and basically the assistant director (I'm 20, VERY close to the director, and I help the director with almost every single thing.) It's the first year of being open for him, though he's had tons of training and is doing better than any other studio has in its first year within a 100 mile radius. (And I'm not kidding.)

We have sheets that are handed out more than once to all parents, explaining the guidelines of competition, rules, a checklist, etc. (we hand them out more than once because people tend to lose things quite easily!)

I also ran a hair/makeup meeting for ALL students (competitive and recital-only performers) and handed out packets. The packets also included a checklist, a sheet explaining 'standard' hair and makeup procedures, what brands would be best to buy, where those brands could be found, prices, etc. The last sheet was individualized for each dancer- it had each number they were in, followed by the hair style, makeup, tights, shoes, and all costume pieces required for each dance. I made copies of these packets, knowing someone would lose theirs, and lo and behold, at our first competition, 3 parents approached me with lost packet issues. Good thing I brought those copies!

Other things on our checklist that I highly suggest to others are "Balance" Bars - they're full of carbs and are cheap, and they're very nutritious as well. It's better than kids eating fruit snacks or candy bars, which is not allowed.

We also tell them that it is a good idea to eat a good, healthy pasta meal the night before dancing at competition. The carbs will give you natural energy, rather than stocking up on energy drinks.

Another thing I have found very useful is 'Bee Pollen' caplets...another form of natural energy. I have recommended these to all dancers age 13 and over, and after having used them (you just take 2 caplets when you get up, and you're set) said that they felt like they had more energy throughout the day.

We also require any dancer that uses a hat for any dance to carry that hat in a hat box. The last thing we need is a broken or squished hat at competition!

Another thing we do- which is aimed at parents- is set down the rules of drinking while away at competitions. We ask that no parents go out and get wildly drunk and give our studio a bad name. Parents represent too, not just the dancers and teachers!

We also tell our dancers that they are NOT allowed to make ANY comments about other dances- even if it's the worst thing you've ever seen in your life, do NOT say it, and do NOT be sarcastic and make a comment about it either. Keep it to yourself. If any dancer is caught doing this, their solo will be withdrawn from the competition. Saying 'good luck' or 'good job' and genuinely meaning it is one thing, being taunting and mean is another.

We also have earrings that are handed out to all dancers, and they are required to wear them with every costume, and are not to lose them or wear them at any other time aside from dance competitions.

Another thing we do at our studio with our costumes is use rhinestones. We use loose swarovski crystals and each dancer wears one on each side of their eye (on the outside corner of each eye.) They are applied using eyelash glue and look nice on stage- it adds that extra sparkle without overdoing it.

Great post!
KP
re: the ULTIMATE competition/perf ormance checklist! (karma: 1)
By danzadancer2285 Comments: 1030, member since Wed Jul 11, 2007
On Wed May 21, 2008 05:51 PM
I love lists, they keep my so organized!

Here is mine:

~ Liquid foundation*
~ Powder foundation*
~ Blush*
~ Eye liner*
~ Eye shadows (2)*
~ Mascara*
~ Lip liner*
~ Lip stick*
~ Lip liner sharpener*
~ Moisturizer / Lotion
~ Brushes / Applicators*
~ Chap stick
~ Vaseline

~ Hair spray + (Make sure that hair stays in place.)
~ Gel (Works really well for keeping hair in place.)
~ Spray bottle filled with water (Sometimes hair doesn't want to cooperate until it is wet.)
~ Hair colored ponytails +
~ Brush and Comb
~ Hair straightener + (All company members straighten their hair before putting it into our company hairstyle.)
~ Hair nets for ballet +
~ Bobby pins +
~ Snappy clips (Sometimes they work better than bobby pins.)

~ Eyelash glue (to keep our hair strip in) +
~ Hair Strip*

~ All of your costumes!*
~ Any necessary undergarments (clear strap, nude bras are recommended as they seem to go under almost any costume)
~ Safety pins (and lots of them!)
~ Extra tights (at least one pair in every color necessary.)*
~ All required shoes*

~ Clear nail polish (Helps stop runs in tights.)
~ Extra hangers for costumes
~ Sewing kit (including small scissors, needles, and thread)
~ Deodorant
~ Q-tips and tissues (To remove or touch up make-up)
~ Static guard (Hairspray works too)
~ First aid kit (including pain reliever, Neosporin, nadaids, and hot/cold pads)
~ Camera
~ Cell Phone
~ iPod and headphones (Good for last minute practicing.)
~ Snack and Water bottle +
~ Schedule +

~ Garment bag*
~ Dance bag*

* Things we were required to buy from our studio (or our studio ordered it for us)
+ Required for us to wear, but we did not buy it from the studio

Note: Everything without a symbol by it is optional, but it is recommended.

Here are my tips for performing:

The Night Before --

Stretch! I do not suggest you stretch so much that you make yourself sore, but stretch as much as you feel is necessary to get a little past warmed-up. Stretch things like tilts, splits, hamstrings, etc.

Practice your dances! Go over your dances so much that you can do them in your sleep. Take extra time to go over parts that you might not understand or that you mess up on a lot.

Listen to your songs enough so that you know the lyrics by heart. Feel and understand the music and it will show in your dancing.

Eat a good dinner. Carbs are your friends as they give you natural energy.

Take a shower and wash your hair. Do this the night before rather than the day of because freshly washed hair won't hold as well as hair that was washed the night before. The natural oils in your hair keep it more manageable.

Pack and organize your dance and garment bag. Pack like a genius. Put the things on bottom you'll need last, and things you'll need first on top. Organize your garment bags in the order of your dances. Double check everything!

Get some good sleep and relax!!

The Morning Of --

Wake up at least two hours before you are due at the theater.

Eat a healthy breakfast that will give you energy for the rest of the day.

Put you first necessary costume on.

Put a sweat shirt or t-shirt over your costume to make sure that you don’t get any make-up or hair product on it.

Start applying your make-up.

Fix your hair.

Put any other costume pieces on that you did not put on before.

Check again to make sure you have everything before taking off.

When You Arive --

Find somebody you know and place your stuff down in the designated area, putting everything of yours close together, and make sure you remember where you put it.

Double check your make-up and hair. Do any touch-ups that are necessary.

Help out anybody that needs it.

Stretch!

Run through your dances if possible.

In Between Dances:

Stay warm!

Change costumes if necessary.

Eat a quick snack and drink water. Be careful so you don't get anything on your costume!

Make sure you know which dance of yours is next.

Have fun!
By jacque_curran Comments: 40, member since Sat Aug 02, 2008
On Tue Aug 12, 2008 01:36 PM
haha this list is amazing & will come in
handy for me (: because i'm new to dance.

i've been to cheer competitions but i'm looking
forward to dance.
re: the ULTIMATE competition/perf ormance checklist! (karma: 1)
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Wed Nov 05, 2008 06:50 PM
Years later, and this post is STILL useful :)

I'm just organising all my stuff for recital this weekend right now, which is why I'm reading this post (it's always a good reminder for things I've forgotten lol).

One thing I can't live without for recitals in particular is my list of my dances, how long I have to get changed, the costume, the hair and the shoes, eg:

Silence:
One dance
Costume = pink top + black flared shorts
Hair = down, with fringe clipped back
Shoes = black jazz shoes

I barely need to read it, but I'm pretty sure actually writing it down is what helps me remember. Not to mention, it's much nicer to just glance at my list instead of frantically yelling "HOW DOES OUR HAIR HAVE TO BE?" lol.
By followthesmile Comments: 69, member since Sat Sep 06, 2008
On Sun Nov 09, 2008 03:28 PM
OMG! Thank you so much. You are a life saver. I always forget something every time!!!
By Ahusk89 Comments: 597, member since Sun Apr 01, 2007
On Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 AM
TapperGirl wrote:

Great post! That laundry basket idea is excellent, I am so going to do that!
I have some:

- ENERGY DRINK, I find that a nice energy drink gives me... well, energy, to help keep me awake for the day!
- WALKMAN, can be helpful, especially if you want to have a last minute practise backstage.
- TISSUES, 'Ahhchoo! Oh no...' or 'No! I just smooshed all my lipstick and I look like a clown'

I normally advise my students to NOT bring anything other than juice or water. Energy drinks do not actually give you energy. They boost you up and then you crash. Not to mention it is extremely harmful to your health when you are a young student. :(
I would go against drinking these!
By justdancee26 Comments: 6, member since Fri Jan 16, 2009
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 07:45 PM
This is really helpful, I like the clear nail polish trick!
By StagLeap Comments: 31, member since Mon Sep 14, 2009
On Fri Sep 18, 2009 07:36 PM
WOW! What a great list! This is going to be very helpful this competition season :) Thanks for this!
By DreamDuffelPremium member Comments: 3, member since Tue Oct 07, 2008
On Thu Oct 07, 2010 09:08 PM
you should check out the Dream Duffel it's perfect for toting your costumes and accessories to competions. the website is dreamduffel.com :)
By ElizabethPerson Comments: 56, member since Wed Nov 10, 2010
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 08:17 PM
Edited by ElizabethPerson (227640) on 2010-11-19 20:24:31 Added More Info
Thank you for this helpful list! I would also suggest bringing Advil or other pain meds for headaches and such. Easy to eat, healthy snacks are another thing to consider bringing. You should bring extra makeup with you too just incase somebody forgets. Q-tips too for applying makeup or for fixing smudges. One final suggestion: bring something bigger than a compact mirror to do your makeup with; the adults at my studio bring the double sided mirrors that you plug in to recitals so you can check yourself in something better than a compact mirror.
By dAnC3r4LyFe Comments: 2, member since Fri Jan 14, 2011
On Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:47 PM
omgsh thanks for all the lists and tips! i would have never known to bring some of these things and im soo bad at remembering things to bring! every year ive forgotten something (luckly its never been important and i could always borrow it off someone else) ive made my own one and intend to use it! This year hopefully im going to be way more organised!!! :) xxxx
By dAnC3r4LyFe Comments: 2, member since Fri Jan 14, 2011
On Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:54 PM
Also ive ordered a dream duffle bag ^^^^ and i cant wait to get it! It looks sooo helpful as i never have anywhere to hang my costumes and i dont want to use one of those clothes rail things on wheels.
:D xxxxx
By bombsquaddancers Comments: 23, member since Mon Sep 05, 2011
On Wed Sep 14, 2011 01:12 PM
Great check list!!! I may have to add some of the items to my master check list!! :)
By ukiecam Comments: 136, member since Sun Mar 11, 2012
On Tue Apr 03, 2012 05:51 PM
AWESOME!!!!

*Makke sure you bring a hairbrush, and a small mirror (ya never know!)

And (for ukie dancer expecially!) A pair of spandex or short shorts that are still danceable because it SUCKS when You can see your underwear when you kick or sweep, and a white tank top because none wants to see your bra through your shirt! lol

GOOD LUCK!!

~Cam
By Dance_WorldPremium member Comments: 22, member since Tue Aug 10, 2010
On Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 PM
That is a great list! Thanks for the post!
By lisaloohoo Comments: 20, member since Thu May 10, 2012
On Mon May 14, 2012 11:14 AM
Wow this is amazing!!!! thank you so much!!!

<3
By camymac_dancer Comments: 96, member since Sun Jul 01, 2012
On Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:28 AM
I love this!!!!! Re-writing it to save paper, and I'm sharing it with all of my dance friends! :)
Page:
Page 4 of 51 2 3 4 5

ReplySendWatch