Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Wicca/Satanism
By dancer_chick92member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 27, 2005 04:15 PM
Moved to Philosophy by soliloquy (28370) on 2005-05-27 17:15:24 Moved to Philosophy.

What is everyone's opinion on wicca? Do you think it's satanism and that wiccans participate in satanic acts?

Cast in any thoughts you have on this subject.

~^*dancin chic*^~

26 Replies to Wicca/Satanism

re: Wicca/Satanism (karma: 7)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 27, 2005 04:34 PM
I'm friends with a few Satanists and Wiccans (just for the record, I'm also friends with a few Christians, Jews and Muslims). They will tell you that the two philosophies are quite dissimilar. Satanism is about gaining pleasure and is basically just a word for formalized hedonism. I believe it was invented in the 50's (someone chime in on this please) while Wicca evolved from the ancient religions of Europe and Eurasia. I wouldn't be friends with anyone doing anything "satanic" (assuming the word's popular connotations), so in my experience, both religions can be good or bad depending on the practitioner (like all religions). Now please excuse me while I cut the head off this chicken.
re: Wicca/Satanism (karma: 3)
By Spectermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri May 27, 2005 04:55 PM
While some fundies would have you think otherwise, they aren't the same religion, and Wiccans certianly don't worship Satan. Thats about the gist of it. Don't confused paganism with devil worship.
re: Wicca/Satanism (karma: 2)
By Rachael
On Fri May 27, 2005 07:49 PM
It isnt really a matter of opinion....
Wicca is not satanism. Never was, and probably never will be.
So, no... I dont think Wicca is satanism, because it factually isnt.
re: Wicca/Satanism (karma: 6)
By GordonGirl_82
On Fri May 27, 2005 09:03 PM
Christianity has more to do with Satan than Wicca/paganism does. And before I get a barrage of complaints, my reason for saying that is that if you are a Christian, you believe in Satan, right? But if you are Wiccan, such an entity simply doesn't exist for you, so you obviously don't have anything to do with Satan or Satanism.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri May 27, 2005 09:18 PM
I believe that whatever other people believe is up to them. I'm not going to judge them, and I don't want to be judged in return. Let's leave it all to judgement day.

I don't think there is a satan, though. But whatever religion does worship him (which I think is neither Wicca nor Satanism) all the best to them.

You can't help what you believe, what you think, or what you feel. So I hold no judgement on anyone with that.

My opinion on Wicca: if your Wiccan, It's the right place to be, but it's the wrong place for a Christian. Find your religion and accept it. Allow others the same right.

Spread the Peace
Spread the Love

~Always
re: Wicca/Satanism
By amarathPremium member
On Fri May 27, 2005 09:33 PM
"Wicca" is the name of a contemporary Neo-Pagan religion, largely promulgated and popularized by the efforts of a retired British civil servant named Gerald Gardner [late 1940's]. In the last few decades, Wicca has spread in part due to its popularity among feminists and others seeking a more woman-positive, earth-based religion. Like most Neo-Pagan spiritualities, Wicca worships the sacred as immanent in nature, drawing much of its inspiration from the non-Christian and pre-Christian religions of Europe. "Neo-Pagan" simply means "new pagan" (derived from the Latin paganus , "country-dweller") and hearkens back to times before the spread of today's major monotheistic (one god) religions. A good general rule is that most Wiccans are Neo-Pagans but not all Pagans are Wiccans.

Nah, it's not satanism. They're very different things--'satanism' actually could be best defined as several different religions, ha.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 27, 2005 09:38 PM
Edited by DarkLilSunShine (36942) on 2005-05-27 21:46:41
Just to clear anything up before people start thinking Satanists = Satan worshipers... Satanists don't worship Satan. Anton Szandor LaVey formed the Church of Satan in 1966 and he also wrote "The Satanic Bible."

What is the difference between Satanism and devil worship?

Satanism and devil worship are two distinctly different animals. Devil worship is what it is: the worship of an external deity (in this case, a "devil"), much as it could be labeled inverse Christianity -- that is, confining yourself to the Christian religion and overall model, but merely choosing the "bad guy" in their Bible instead of the purportedly central character. The Satan in Satanism is an archetype, one many know by name and is relative to the culture. Some Satanists choose different aspects of this archetype, depending on geography or just plain aesthetics, but the same characteristics still hold true. It would make little sense for us to claim to embody the archetypal qualities of Satan (rebellion, rational self-interest, carnality, etc.) on one hand, and then attempt to worship an anthropomorphic Satan on the other. In laymen's terms, it's hardly rebellious to worship a figure that represents rebellion. The Satanist finds unproductive and one-sided idol worship to be draining and useless (not to mention hypocritical). Much of this is aptly mentioned in The Satanic Bible and the other books listed in the Satanism section of this website.

www.satanism101.com
re: Wicca/Satanism (karma: 1)
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri May 27, 2005 10:01 PM
Not the same.
Not even remotely alike.

Witches (and pagans in general), don't have any concept of Satan or a being that exists purely for evil.
That belongs to the realm of Christianity.

We don't have inherently "good" deities, either. Our deities are like people, flawed, good and evil, dark and light, all at the same time.

The concept of Paganism (including Wicca), being related to Satanism was something that the early Christians propagated in order to destroy Pagan religions and convert everyone to Christianity.
Thats why Christmas happens at the same time as Yule, and Easter sounds so much like Eostre, the fertility and rebirth festival.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By CountDancula
On Sat May 28, 2005 07:04 AM
Wicca and Satanism can't be the same thing because Satan is a Christian icon, and Wicca is not a Christian religion.

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TheCount/smileys/spearvstank.gif' The Count Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/TheCount/smileys/peace.gif'
By dancer_chick92member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat May 28, 2005 01:43 PM
A lot of people I know, the first thing that comes to mind when Wicca is mentioned, is it's evil and it's worshiping the devil. My one friend first said you have to sell your soul to the devil to be wiccan and my other friend said that it's worshiping the devil and it's not right. I was reading things on Wicca and I read many things that said Wicca has nothing to do with Satan or worshiping the devil.

~^*dancin chic*^~
On Sat May 28, 2005 07:56 PM
You're exactly right, Dancer_Chick92, and good on you for going out and doing your research, rather than just blindly believing everything you hear.

As a Pagan, it's mildly frightening hearing people talk about Wicca or Paganism as forms of devil worship. Most Witches/Pagans/Wiccans aren't persecuted because we have the good sense to keep quite about our beliefs, but occasionally the panic catches up with us, like in the case of the West Memphis Three. Currently, three young men are sitting in jail in Arkansas for a crime they didn't commit. One of them, Damien Echols, is sentenced to death by lethal injection, and the only evidence that the prosecution provided to convict these young men was a few black t-shirts, Stephen King novels and heavy metal music, along with a grossly misrepresented "confession" from one of the boys, Jessie Miskelley, who clearly was coerced into making the confession by police who KNEW he had a mental disability (and an IQ of 72).
Books written by best-selling author Stephen King were used as evidence against Damien when no real evidence could be found. Black concert T-shirts were held up as evidence in an American courtroom in the 1990s as "proof" that Jason Baldwin was capable of murdering three 8 year olds. Lyrics to songs by BLUE OYSTER CULT and PINK FLOYD were shown to the jury, apparently in an effort to suggest to them that they were relevant to the murders, and somehow showed that the defendants were guilty.

The inconsistent testimony of a jail house snitch and a couple of little girls who claim to have overheard Damien "confessing" at a girl's softball game were taken seriously even after the sources were shown to be less than solid. There was no physical evidence that pointed to Damien, Jason or Jessie. There was nothing to suggest that they had killed the three children except the superstitious suspicions that were being fueled by the local media who seemed reluctant to publish a story unless it contained the word "Satan" or at least "cult."

- from wm3.org

These men have been in prison since 1994, and I believe they're not guilty of the crimes they've been imprisoned for; at the very least they didn't get a fair trial. They seem to have been convicted on the back of a particularly savalge bout of Satanic Panic.

As a Pagan, Satanic Panic frightens me. People are capable of whipping up quite a frenzy when they think Satan is somehow involved in something, and this often catches unfortunate Pagans in its wake. Fear of Witches (Pagans, Wiccans, even Goths) seems to still be alive and well in certain pockets of society, and it scares me.

Don't propagate that ugly myth. Pagans and Satanists are not the same, and, at any rate, Satanism isn't a cult, and Satanists don't go around biting the head off chickens and murdering children anyway - theirs is a more hedonistic way of living, and most of them are as harmless as the next average person.

Erin.
By NeoSoulchildmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 29, 2005 05:44 AM
I didn't know much about Satanists, but I knew about Wiccan.. well, a little.

I had a couple of friends who were Wiccan, and so was my Sergeant (Army). I do know that Wiccans are about Earth, not Satan. I'll admit, I thought Satanists worshipped Satan- but I never spoke about it. Glad I got that memo! *thumbs up*
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 29, 2005 11:41 AM
As in the case of Wicca ItÂ’s kinda hard to warship something that you don't believe in! Wiccans do not believe in Satan...and as Odessa has said the various gods and goddess have a mixture of good and evil in them because they are seen like people.

Wicca is a peace loving religion that tends to get a bad rep because people are afraid of what they do not understand.
People in this world tend to be so focused on what other religions will tell them that they don't give other religions like Wicca a chance.They just assume its evil rather than do some reasearch to find out what it is about.

Just my thoughts,
Maggie
On Sun May 29, 2005 08:20 PM
One other thing:
If you want to see an accurate depiction of Wicca/Paganism, DON'T watch The Craft.
It's utter, utter rubbish.
Some elements of it hold true, but is is DEFINITELY not a true or accuate portrayal of the Wiccan/Pagan traditions.

Throwaway fun, yes.
Serious commentary, definitely not.

(Same goes for Charmed, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Bewitched, Practical Magic - Buffy's portrayal of witches is probably closer to how they really are, minus all the black-eyed veiny Willow stuff).

Erin.
By Vozrozhdeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 30, 2005 08:34 PM
Saying that a witch worships satan is just continuing the propoganda that was created during the Witch Hunts which occurred all through europe and America not too awful long ago- especially when you consider how young of a country the U.S. is.

Blaming murder on someone just because they may be a "witch" and giving that person the death sentence is akin to buring a witch at the stake because a neighbors crop went bad.

I just wish that others would stop blaming issues on religions that they know nothing about.
My One Experience Was Very Positive
By Cindy3
On Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:44 AM
When I was in a club that worked on beading together, a wiccan was invited to speak, since she was so good on beadwork. We talked after her presentation, and I was impressed at her strength of character, and her respect for life. That is my only exposure, but if she was typical, I would not mind at all having a wiccan as a neighbor, maybe even as a friend.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 04:28 AM
The world would be a much better place if people adopted a bit of Wiccanism into their own philosophies. For example - if George Bush were a Wiccan, he would have been fighting people off to get his name first on that Kyoto Treaty. If John Prescott were a Wiccan, he would swap his two Jags for a more environmentally-friendly vehicle.

Louise
By Namps
On Fri Jun 10, 2005 02:00 PM
Ive been brought up to believe that it is evil, very very evil. And in response to the question, then yes I dobelieve that it is satanism.
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 10, 2005 02:42 PM
^

So this belief is based soley upon the fact that you were brought up believing it?

Even if it's false?

Wow - that takes some thinking. Your parents must be very proud.
By Elfiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 10, 2005 03:00 PM
Edited by Elfie (64279) on 2005-06-10 15:14:44
*sigh* Do you have any idea of how tired wiccans and all pagans are of this discussion...It's really just a different religion. I'm a wiccaish pagan and I don't have that kind of a split black and white concept of good and evil. I want to take responsibility for my own actions instead of believing in horned little devils whispering in my ear making me do things.

Like I said it's a different religion, if you believe that all other religions then your own are evil, yes you will probably think it's evil. (because I doubt you are a wiccan if you think that) Could we sometimes talk about some things that are a part of this religion (like the importance of nature for example), instead of in all conversations about wicca just always having to explain about things that have nothing to do with it really (like christian concept of the devil)? And please don't believe everything in the movies, wiccans are not going to make your house to be filled with snakes. *bangs head on a wall*
By Shnaynaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 08:48 AM
Ive been brought up to believe that it is evil, very very evil. And in response to the question, then yes I dobelieve that it is satanism.

You've been brought up to believe something wrong. Listen to me: It is a <b>fact</b> that Wicca is NOT the same thing as Satanism. There is so such thing as Satan in Wicca. Satan is a being believed in by Christians.

That's like suggesting that Christians worship Allah - there <i>is</i> not Allah in Christianity, just like there is no Satan in Wicca.

peace out
sh'naynay
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:24 PM
Namps...

Pull your head out of your butt and take a look at what I and the other posters have said....Open your eyes and at least try to learn about the world around you.

It would serve you well not to be so feeking close minded.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:48 PM
Namps, then you are intolerant, closed minded, and ignorant.

WICCANS DON'T EVEN BELIEVE IN SATAN.

Open your eyes, study religion some, THEN come back here. You'll be smarter, we'll respect you more, and you'll be happier in life.

kthx.
By NeoSoulchildmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:57 PM
^^Or better yet, just read what others have posted. We're still on the first page... Too easy!
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch