Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4
re: For people looking for songs to use
By heartzjoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 703, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Thu Dec 01, 2005 07:50 PM
^Polly, please read the original post in this thread. Your question is an example of what was posted about, people who ask a broad question. This thread is to be informative when looking for songs to use, to help them think critically about what they are looking for instead of just asking for some good modern or contemporary music, that could truly be anything, ANYTHING, and its dependant on opinions. Be specific and clarify what you need and then you can get better responses.
By polly2004 Comments: 2, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Fri Dec 02, 2005 03:04 PM
would you just be able to send me the comtemporary style music without lyrics in it please if you could i would appericiate it very much

luv sarah xxx
love modern
By savusheath Comments: 24, member since Wed Dec 07, 2005
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 07:00 PM
a new group is called "Safri Duo" they are a Drum style Duet that is out of this world. Very little Lyrics and a group that will challenge you is called "Oregon" many of their compositions have not meter. One of my favorite groups is "Penguin Cafe Orchestra" Very abstract but pulls you into their world and then lets you figure them out however you want.
Music without Lyrics
By TheWinged Comments: 315, member since Tue Mar 05, 2002
On Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:12 AM
Try out some of these composers:
Arvo Part* Mampu
Steve Reich* Donald Erb
Philip Glass* David Diamond
Norman della Joio* William Shuman
Maurice Ravel*
George Gershwin*
Aaron Copland*
Luciano Berio*
Benjamin Britten*
Leonard Bernstein*
Pendereski (sp.?)
*Some of my contemporary fav's...and this is a very partial list.
By xcarlyxdancex Comments: 22, member since Wed Sep 21, 2005
On Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:53 PM
i agree , a mate of mine choreographed a morden dance with just her speaking . it was about her life and she talked about wat she had been threw its so effective
By ironbutterfly Comments: 42, member since Tue Oct 19, 2004
On Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:17 AM
thanks for your post,

i definiatly agree!!
i have just started teaching modern about a year ago, an di have hauled up all my old cd's, bought really cheap ones, and stuff that i would never listen to be inspired and its great!!

luv
ir xox
Help With Modern Music & Choreography For Beginners.
By xJustDancex Comments: 3, member since Thu Nov 03, 2005
On Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:59 PM
My high school has a dance class you can take, starting in grade 10. I am a senior and have been in the class for 3 years, and I love it, on top of that I have been dancing since I was 3/4. I am extremely close to my teacher, and she has asked me to choreograph a number for the recital for the first years. Alot of them haven't danced before, but I wanted to do a modern number, that's simple, but unique and extremely creative. I find modern numbers can be made to look almost professional, as apposed to beginner and I think the girls will really have alot of fun doing a modern number, considering half of them don't even know what modern is. Any suggestions on choreography or music?
By heartzjoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 703, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 06:12 AM
I'd say to check my original post to see where you can start to look for music. For absolute beginners, why not choose a theme? For example each a circular theme so that people use the idea of creating circles in their dance, I've done something like that with my students. So, group circle, individual circle, rond de jambe, circular arms, hoops, bubbles, etc.
Music
By xJustDancex Comments: 3, member since Thu Nov 03, 2005
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 07:50 AM
thanks alot:) that really helped, any suggestions for music?
On Thu Jan 26, 2006 01:02 PM
First of all, I'd just like you to know that modern (ande classical) dance pieces or works are not called"numbers". That kind of definition belobngs more to jazz, hip=hop, etc.
Having said that, in order to recommend music, can you give us some idea what you're going for: upbeat, lively, romantic, slow, fast, mood, tempo, etc. :O)
By tahlzz Comments: 23, member since Sat Jan 28, 2006
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:06 PM
wow thats interesting...the movement comes before the music. anyone have any good topics to base the movement around??
By Spunky_Dancer Comments: 43, member since Mon Jan 26, 2004
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:58 PM
Edited by Spunky_Dancer (82954) on 2006-02-05 00:00:22
I'm nearing the end of choreographing a contemp. solo for my choreography class and I have been struggling with music from the get-go. The piece has a playful feel, sort of whimsical in a hop-scotch, excited little kid's way. The contrast to that is sharp grounded movements...
Can anyone think of something that could fit? I'm thinking something instrumental with that playful feel... hopefully my movements will portray the contrast well enough. I'm not sure... any suggestions?
Music to dance by
On Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:07 AM
Okay, first of all, it's like the chicken or theegg. SDometimes the dance is inspired by a particular piece of music, and vice versa (when you're working with a composer, that is) and sometimes, you've done considerable work on movment ideas with no clue about music! Tough problem.
However, from what you describe, why don't you try on of the following: The "Three Preludes" by Gershwin, "Children's Songs" by Chick Corea and Gary Burton, "Golliwog's Cakewalk" by Debussy and Gottschalk also has a cakewalk that could work. There's lots moe that I could recommend. Let me know if you still need help. Enjoy! ;o>
By scarlett2006 Comments: 54, member since Fri Feb 03, 2006
On Sat Feb 11, 2006 02:00 PM
Tagging on to the last post, if you have worked on a choreography and now you need the music to it, I know it can get difficult to work with live musicians.
I am a songwriter and just finished a project in writing African Music for a dancer and her choreography.
Please feel free to visit
www.angelfire.com . . .
for music samples and a video clip.

Hope this helps to give you some ideas
By fouette_jete72 Comments: 79, member since Sun Mar 30, 2003
On Sun Mar 26, 2006 08:52 AM
to everyone looking for music,
Can i tell u two songs that i actually LOVE!! one is track 4 from the amelie soundtrack: comptine d'un autre ete - l'apres midi... its absolutely gorgeous, no lyrics, just piano, im choreographing to it, and i dont feel like i do it justice! another is from the film 'conquest of paradise'. i think its titled by th same name and it doesn't have lyrics really, its just chanting. you can get both off iTunes. I would just say have a listen to them!!
xxx
By funkdudemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 820, member since Fri Jun 18, 2004
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:51 PM
Some good ones for contemporary are:

Hunter - Dido
Barra Barra - Rachid Taha
Hard For Me - Tamara Jaber
The Dolphin's Cry - Live
Lightning Crashes - Live
What About - Janet Jackson
The Chairman's Waltz - Memoirs of a Geisha Soundtrack
The Garden Meeting - Memoirs of a Geisha Soundtrack
Mummers Dance - Loreena McKennit
Paper Aeroplane - Kasey Chambers
Lil' While - Janet Jackson
This Is How A Heart Breaks - Rob Thomas

That's a pretty varied list but they're just the general ones I use for contemporary. Some of them woul be best suied to across the floor combinations in class, but some of them would make great dances (and have made great dances).
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 807, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 06:43 PM
thanks that helps im new to modern so ... yah thanks alot !!!
~pointe29~
By grtdancing Comments: 33, member since Mon Jul 09, 2007
On Fri Jul 13, 2007 07:33 AM
We did a song to George Gershwin and it was awesome. I love modern dancing and hope to become a dancer as good on some of the videos I watch. All you can do is try and try.
By nycdancer4u Comments: 106, member since Wed Jan 16, 2008
On Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:53 AM
Ohhh how I love Ailey and Graham can't wait until those school auditions come around.
Thanks fot the advice, the hardest thing for me beside the cheo. is the music of course my cheo. isn't the best but I try to make it work the best that I can. Thanx again I'm thinking I'm going with Bjork for my NYU audition.
That's thinking outside the box!!!
By hannah1010 Comments: 1, member since Wed Jan 23, 2008
On Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:12 AM
help please....
i do GCSE dance and for my final piece i need a musical accompaniment for a 2:30min choreography.

Basically, its about O.C.D so i would like something repeatitive which has a slow calming tempo to begin in but then builds to a climax. Btw the accompaniment can be anything as long as it has no lyrics..however, if the lyrics are appropriate thats fine.
Please help, because i aint got a clue :)
On Mon Jan 28, 2008 04:30 PM
how about El Salon Mexico by Aaron Copland?
By lisaatthowe Comments: 21, member since Thu Mar 16, 2006
On Sun Feb 17, 2008 04:59 AM
This is the most helpful post ever! Thanks guys!
By TinyDancer924 Comments: 72, member since Sun Dec 04, 2005
On Sat Feb 23, 2008 07:29 PM
Can anyone suggest some good music to use when teaching a modern class. I have an extensive music library but it's getting stale and I find myself gravitating towards using the same 10 or so songs over and over in class, which is boring me.
Do any of you have any new finds, or any old favorites you love to use in class that you'd like to share??

This might also help those looking for music for pieces.
By pointe92member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 807, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:04 AM
im glad you posted that because im getting tired of seeing "help me find a song!"
By ct4dance Comments: 26, member since Wed Jun 13, 2007
On Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:21 AM
I never thought of looking for dance videos on Netflix. How funny is that. I completely agree with your response. Modern dance is much more broad than people think. When creating a dance I always have the theme and start the choreography before I pick the song. That's what I love about Modern, thats the free feeling part everyone talks about. Not that the movements have to be "free flowing" but each dance itself is free from any other dance or piece of choreography. It's a point in time and often the choreography is derived from the point in time of the choreographer. Thanks for the tip.
Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch