Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: For people looking for songs to use
By Eninajmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 220, member since Sun Oct 02, 2005
On Mon Mar 02, 2009 04:02 PM
One other thing I do with iTunes is in the store I search for words that appear in the theme and story I want to convey in my piece. For instance, I'm currently choreographing a piece for my school's annual dance concert, and in iTunes i looked for "past, passing, return, soldier, returning, reunited" and other similar things. I then sort them by genre and sift through them...what I chose depends on what I think best suits the piece that is floating around in my head, but I usually gravitate towards classical or new age music. A lot of times I also buy the whole song, because I can't exactly get a good idea of how the piece moves and the dynamics of the piece without listening to the whole thing.
By Piano_on_Pointemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1483, member since Fri Mar 20, 2009
On Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 PM
Well, another thing is that if your doing a lyrical, modern, contemporary, and sort of dance, really, it's not the same unless you pick it out. The song has to have a special meaning to you. Otherwise it will lack true passion. I realize that if it's a group dance, unless everyone just happens to have a connection with the song, the teacher picks it out. But once again, it's not true passion
By clarad123 Comments: 8, member since Sun Dec 09, 2007
On Sat Jul 25, 2009 06:48 PM
I am looking for a song to do my solo to for the competition season coming up. I have been dancing for 13 years and I am 15 currently but will be 16 when I preform the solo. It's a lyrical/modern/contemporary solo. I want something that is about life and really opening up and being who you really are. Because this past year I have learn how to just be myself and not worry about what others think! I want something that will bring my story of learning to be myself out! And I really think I will have the perfect emotion to go along w/ it just I need the RIGHT song! Any suggestions??????? PLEASE!!!
By Dazzling_Jade Comments: 13, member since Tue Sep 22, 2009
On Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:06 PM
just a thought but for me i love to see someone dance modern to slow music.it really makes the emotion come aliv
By TheWinged Comments: 315, member since Tue Mar 05, 2002
On Fri Oct 02, 2009 02:15 AM
Okay.......I see that the posters here just cannot get a grasp on the concept of "songs" as opposed to "music"! I actually reread the whole thread and saw that I tried to pass on the concept that songs are texted pieces of music and you are a slave to the lyrics if you choose to go that way! If you want the freedom of expression, you need to find music in which the words do NOT dictate your direction!

As I said before, professional choreographers (including myself) have been known to use songs. But, they/we have the experience and background to partner with the lyrics instead of what I call Mickey Mousing them. Oh well...What ewsp got me was reading that some of you teach modern to "songs"...ugh!
By isauraxdance Comments: 11, member since Fri Apr 13, 2007
On Sat Oct 10, 2009 02:19 AM
Hello!

I'm in my last year of danceschool, and we need to do a choreo.
Our theme is 'Madness', does anyone know a good song that has something to do with madness? The music must not be commercial.. And we want to dance sometimes hard, en sometimes soft... It also going to be a feminine piece...

Btw, sorry for my bad english... I'm from Belgium :)!
(and I hope that this is the right place to ask this...)

Greetings, Isaura
On Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:43 AM
What about the 2d movement of, "Music for Stringed Instruments, Percussion and Celesta", by Bartok? I actually used it for a solo in which I danced the essence (as opposed to the story) of the book, "Thurn of the Screw", Henry James. I'm happy to say that I freaked my audiences out! ;o>

Need more help?
By lovetap5678 Comments: 29, member since Tue Sep 29, 2009
On Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 PM
e_hefley wrote:

I agree. I often start with no music and let the movement tell the story. Then i can tell which type of music is needed whether it is an original composition with a musician, a jazz selection, simple piano or drumming.

"the winner is" from the little miss sunshine soundtrack is a great song to use.
By Trudie Comments: 21, member since Tue Jan 29, 2008
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 03:53 AM
I think one of the most difficult genre's to select correctly is character dances. My daughter is 13 and is great in characterising but when it comes to choices of what character and music to use in choreographing the dance, I usually battle quite a bit. Adjudicators are very strict as they want to be able to recognise the character without having to look at the costume or props.

Could anyone please help me with some character ideas for either Tap or Modern as well as what music would be suitable?

I would REALLY appreciate some advice from the more experienced dancers!!
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 03:55 AM
I think one of the most difficult genre's to select correctly is character dances. My daughter is 13 and is great in characterising but when it comes to choices of what character and music to use in choreographing the dance, I usually battle quite a bit. Adjudicators are very strict as they want to be able to recognise the character without having to look at the costume or props.

Could anyone please help me with some character ideas for either Tap or Modern as well as what music would be suitable?

I would REALLY appreciate some advice from the more experienced dancers!!
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 05:01 AM
Hi Trudie,

I seriously don't understand your question for the simple reason that the term "character" dance classically refers to the dances used in the great ballets based on folk dance, i.e. Hungarian, Russian, Chinese, Arabian (think, Swan Lake, Nutcracker, Giselle, etc.). The cl,assical dancer is trained in this for years and it's an important part of hi8s prep for being a professional.

You seem to mean character as in acting? It only shows the degenrative use of words! Contemporary no longer refers to modern dance; songs now refer to all music and...well..then evidently, there's character!...sigh!
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 05:18 AM
Okay, so I'll make it a bit clearer and I hope you'll understand. Yes, in ballet we do ballet character dances and then we do Folk dances which is totally different from the ballet character section.
However, in Tap and Modern (not contemporary - that's a different dance style all together)there is, in addition to a straight solo, also a character section (i.e. Tap character/Modern character), same as in ballet, and the dancer must portray, through dance and movement (with music)a character which the audience can recognise. This naturally involves acting.

Sorry if you think it is degenrative use of words but that is what these different sections and genere's are called where I come from.
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 05:19 AM
Okay, so I'll make it a bit clearer and I hope you'll understand. Yes, in ballet we do ballet character dances and then we do Folk dances which is totally different from the ballet character section.
However, in Tap and Modern (not contemporary - that's a different dance style all together)there is, in addition to a straight solo, also a character section (i.e. Tap character/Modern character), same as in ballet, and the dancer must portray, through dance and movement (with music)a character which the audience can recognise. This naturally involves acting.

Sorry if you think it is degenrative use of words but that is what these different sections and genere's are called where I come from.
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 05:27 AM
My company was called, Contemporary Dance Theater and it was a modern company. In the literature, this term is used synonymously with modern...until recently due to the rise of the "comps" all over the place which is also what gave rise to the ubiquitous- "lyrical"!!! (until I le4arned what that was all about?!). Okay, so I see that character in your terms is also something that has risen from the comp circuit- like dancing/playing anold man, a drunk, a prince/ss, etc.- right?

BTW, chracter is directly related to folk dance, as in: Czardash (sp.?), Mazourka, Tarantella, Polonaise, etc. These were formalized and a technique for executing them in ballets was developped at the Kirov and Bolshoi Schools.

BTWII- where are you (just curious ;o> )

So, if you giveus the type of "character" your daughter wishes to emulate, we can then help you with the music.
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 05:56 AM
Thanks for your reply. I am from South Africa, Johannesburg and our dance association is Dance Art International.
While mentioning Lyrical, our sections also includes lyrical solo's i.e. Tap Lyrical, Modern Lyrical etc. where the dancer sing and dance, so the character section I refer to is, as you state, a drunk, old man etc. and is purely portraying the specific character.
We do not know what character she will emulate yet as we do not know what music will match it. I am playing with the idea to rather get a non-lyrical piece of music, but then we must put together a story line or a strong character. It could be anything from an animal, an object, a person etc. as long as the character comes across to the audience.
To give you an idea of a few characters my daughter did is: Alley Cat, Gypsie, Gruella de Ville, Hot Stuff (devil) etc. We were able to find music to choreograph the dances to, but these are difficult to find.
In her modern grade work that she recently completed, there is a "character" section where the dancer gets a piece of music (before the exams) and she must choreograph her own dance to portray the character - Coincidentally the song was "I'm just an ordinary man" and she acted as an old man.
I hope that this gives a little more clarity on what I am looking for?
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 08:46 AM
Ah, okay. I can suggest some things I have done in the past with the music choices I made for them. For a suite of dances called, "Essences of:", there was Essence of Feline for which I used the gorgeous second movement of the 2d piano concerto by Bartok (at another time, for an alley/city cat dance, I used Ravel's Mother Goose Suite- 12 and 13 year olds), for Essence of Dreamer (a very silly/satirical piece- people roared with laughter), I out of character used the song, "A Many Splendored Thing", for Essence of Victorian Garden (between two elderly sisters), Ravel's one of Ravel's waltzes became the music of choice. I once did a solo as a dodo bird to music by Satie (Gnossiennes). Yet, I have a feeling that none of these choices are what you're looking for (esp for commercial comp's).
By pointefreakiyb Comments: 23, member since Sun Oct 18, 2009
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 AM
this is a great post! i think modern is flexible and many pieces can be used. you can use classical music, soft rock, and even some "elevator music" depending on the piece and the mood you are trying to create, and most of all it depends on the routine! thanks!
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 09:43 PM
Thank you for your great ideas! They may seem somewhat different to what we have done in the past but I think it is worth the try. It is always good to have something different, so I will check it out. Thank you for your patience!
On Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:25 PM
I'm glad Icould help. If you come up with a specific character for a specific dance style and still need help finding music, I would be happy to try and help further.

Except for the global warming, patience is a virtue... ;o>
By xViola Comments: 1, member since Sat Jan 16, 2010
On Sat Jan 16, 2010 03:02 PM
Hello there! I'm choreographing a piece with either 3 or 5 dancer, all female, on the idea that beauty is irrational and cannot be measured. I'm looking for some music to start choreographing with but there is too much choice! I would like a piece that varies speed and either just the piano or just the guitar as well as it being a piece that is not well-known because I don't want the audience to have pre-concieved ideas. The most important thing is it CANNOT have lyrics, this is a definite no! I'm know I'm being stupidly specific but I figure it's better than vague???? A piece with a couple of silences/natural sounds e.g. heartbeat could also work. Thank you so much, Viola
By cls_dancer Comments: 7, member since Sun Feb 28, 2010
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 07:53 PM
Some good lyrical songs are:

- "dream" by prisila ahn
- " I wanna Hold your hand" bybthe beatles ( the movie version is better)

A good modern song would be:
- "discombobulate"
By cls_dancer Comments: 7, member since Sun Feb 28, 2010
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 07:54 PM
Some good lyrical songs are:

- "dream" by prisila ahn
- " I wanna Hold your hand" bybthe beatles ( the movie version is better)

A good modern song would be:
- "discombobulate"
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:56 AM
Some good songs:
CODA (band) has alot of contemporary Songs
Flames by VAST
Perpetuum Mobile
Lux Aeterna
Shot You Down
By fleshjazzpants Comments: 26, member since Thu Nov 26, 2009
On Thu May 20, 2010 10:10 PM
Hello.. I am a young choreographer. When I am looking for songs to use, I always check with the Vitamin String Quartet. They have instrumentals of new and old songs. They are great to do modern dance to!
By mamluftcodance Comments: 6, member since Wed Sep 26, 2007
On Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:52 AM
We make it our "second job" to always be hunting and collecting music. iTunes is great for that. When you meet dance musicians, you should encourage them to sell their music!
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch