Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance - General

Page:
Page 4 of 41 2 3 4
re: For people looking for songs to use
By LilytheBallerina Comments: 22, member since Wed Feb 09, 2011
On Sat Mar 05, 2011 02:36 PM
thanx this is so helpful! i recently choreographed a modern dance for an audition and i had heaps of trouble with inspiration. Ill try out some of your ideas next time :)
By cummingse Comments: 10, member since Sun Apr 01, 2012
On Mon Apr 09, 2012 03:30 PM
Kim Hiorthoy is an amazing artist. I am using a bunch of his music in a piece that i'm working on right now. He has a different sound that is very inspiring.
By danceislife3 Comments: 5, member since Mon Jul 16, 2012
On Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:54 AM
(Specificlly for Contemporary dance)

I like to use insturmental songs unless it's Glad You Came by The Wanted (Which is ideal for two to dance)
I like Breathe Me by Sia, Goulding Lights by Ellie, piano by Ludivico Enaudi especially Fly (first half). Some Adele like Rolling In The Deep, Someone Like You. James Blunt songs like Youre Beautiful. You and Me by Lifehouse. I fancy Piano and Guitar for dancing.
By Facaitnah Comments: 16, member since Tue Oct 27, 2009
On Fri Jul 20, 2012 02:35 AM
I agree with most of what you say, except:
1. You cannot always get an accurate understanding of a song by listening to the iTunes or Amazon snippets. You really need to listen to the whole song to truly understand the composer's point of view.
2. Please, please do not buy those cheap Wal-Mart 30 composers on a CD, CD! Not only are you very often getting inferior recordings, you are also very often getting inferior musical interpretation and/or electronically generated sounds. Buy quality music, from quality producers who record quality musicians!
By TheWinged Comments: 315, member since Tue Mar 05, 2002
On Fri Jul 20, 2012 05:48 AM
...most of whom would not appreciate their music being called "songs"...when they're not! So, yes, buy good recordings for sure/ If you have a listening room at your local library, it really is recommended to listen thru when searching for music...Music, folks!!!, not songs! Wow! Can't believe how long this "discussion" has been going on and how nothing changes!...sigh
By facainath Comments: 23, member since Mon Jun 21, 2010
On Sat Jul 21, 2012 07:29 PM
IMHO, the music should inspire the movement. Sometimes an idea is spurred by a thought, an experience, a mistake, a relationship, etc, but I very often find that the music is the ultimate shaper of the dance. Even if a dance is performed with no audible musical accompaniment, there is still a silent rhythm or a melody propelling the dance forward.
By TheWinged Comments: 315, member since Tue Mar 05, 2002
On Sat Jul 21, 2012 08:38 PM
Historically (or prehistorically, to be more accurate), dance preceded music and music was actually an accompaniment to movement. This continued in large measure thru the Baroque period until a guy named Bach said (and I'm not quoting), "Sit down and listen to my music! Even though the sections are called after dances- gavotte, minuet, pavanne, etc., I want you to stay seated and check out my music!"....un(not)quote.

I love working with original music where I actually get to work with the composer. We share ideas, form a sort of partnership, although usually, the dance concept is the motivation. I've also worked with music already written that was modified for me. I've also worked with the conductor who again works with me to blend the needs of the dance with those of the music.

Otherwise, I have often done dances from music repertory and love to create dances from that same Mr. Bach's enormous volume of works. I've even "composed" one or two accompaniments to pieces that just didn't find their musical partners (highly risky stuff). I've used songs, as in Jethro Tull (War Child), Tori Amos, "The Tori Dances", etc. When you're commissioned to choreograph for some project, your choices become more limiting, but challenge is half the fun!

Oops, I'll get off my soapbox that sort of turned into a mini blog...sorry!
By DanceAndLetGo Comments: 19, member since Wed Aug 08, 2012
On Sun Aug 12, 2012 04:16 PM
You should try dancing to something made by Trentemoller. If you ask me it is some of the best music to dance to, and they have music with and without lyrics. Teardrop by Massive Attack is also really good! :)
By Ogracem77 Comments: 17, member since Sun Nov 18, 2012
On Mon Nov 19, 2012 07:48 AM
I completely agree with this. Modern is something that can't be contained to one particular genre of music.. It's all about expression an (like you said) going against gravity. There's no boundaries, so if people need advice on songs to choose, be specific so we can all help out! :P
By BrookeDancer13 Comments: 7, member since Wed Mar 26, 2014
On Wed Mar 26, 2014 09:13 AM
I need help! My dance teacher has asked me to choreograph a contemporary dance for an 11-year-old as I am one of her senior and advanced students.

I need a song! It has got to be upbeat and have nice rhythm, but not too similar to disco!
By leannescullion Comments: 13, member since Thu Aug 12, 2010
On Thu May 01, 2014 03:42 AM
What is a good song for lyrical????? And ideas because I'm really stuck
Page:
Page 4 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch