Forum: Music / Choreography:Pop

Cabaret Choreography- Help Needed!!
By cate_anne
On Sun May 29, 2005 12:24 PM

Hi there! I'm auditioning to become a consultant choreographer for my local theatre society- I have to perform a tap dance to 'Let's go to the Cabaret'... By wednesday!!
I am okay with getting steps that fit the music... but staging-wise, it's a bit dull. Can anybody please give me any tips on how to make this dance visually well choreographed? Floor patterns, or sequences that can be performed backwards/turning etc?- Bearing in mind the music. I'm having choreographer's block!! Please please help, you have no idea how important it is to me to get this job!!
Thanks x

3 Replies to Cabaret Choreography- Help Needed!!

re: Cabaret Choreography- Help Needed!!
By Emmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun May 29, 2005 12:33 PM
Just remember that the dance has to make sense. There's no point in doing a big turning sequence down to your right diagonal front corner, dancing to the centre, going back to the corner, then back to the centre again. You don't want to look like a yo-yo.

You want to fill the stage. Visually, it's quite hard to fill the stage when you are only one person, it's part stage presence, part good choreography. Try turning to your right, while travelling from the Right Diagonal Front Corner, to the RDBC, to CB, to LDBC, to LDFC. Then travelling to the centre and doing part of it on the spot. Make sure travelling sequences and on the spot sequences aren't too long or too short.

Are you planning on using a tap stick? My local Theatre company put on a production of Cabaret, and Emcee used a stick most of the time, even just to carry it under his arm, or dance round it, but maybe that was because he hadn't had much formal dance training, and it made it look better.

That's another thing; Does the Theatre society have members who haven't had much dance training. Don't try to impress with big moves that not many people would do, impress by making simple moves look good, along with interspersed big moves.

I hope it all goes well for you, good luck!

le gra,
Emma.x
By cate_anne
On Mon May 30, 2005 09:57 AM
Thanks- that was very useful... I think I was tending to 'yo-yo' a bit, so cheers for pointing that out!
I have no idea what experience the other members have, as I'm very new to the company and I don't know many people yet.
Thanks for your help!
By bexie
On Thu Jun 02, 2005 01:27 PM
yeah i saw my college do a vesion of this recently and they were prime examples of "yo-yo-itis"!!!!

try some fosse walks rather than big over-jestures - especially if the people dont have much training. a few simple fosse moves should be used anyhow.

you may need some people with more training for the "two ladies" number - you could always put a bit of tap in or something.

our MC also had a cane which made him stick out from the rest of the dancers and he was actually pretty good even tho the choreography was slightly pants!!!!!

anyway - hope this helps and im not too late!!!!!

ReplySendWatch