Forum: Arts / Philosophy

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
what do you think about christians nowadays??
By subliminalmindmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:51 AM

so mayyyyybe this has been posted before. but i didn't see anything on it.

i'm wondering what all you non-christians think of christians. because i think there are many misconceptions about us.

if this is already a topic, feel free to delete or lock this.

26 Replies to what do you think about christians nowadays??

re: what do you think about christians nowadays??
By addicted2danze
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 03:27 AM
i find christians nowadays to be very judgemental..very pretentious..and rather christians see it or not..they are actually pushing some of the most beautiful people away by standing on their pedastels and pointing out everyone else's sins and damning them to hell..one of my favorite quotes is "The church is a hospital for sinners, not a showcase for saints why then do the majority of the patients in church claim to be saints? And why do those of us who know and admit we are sinners shy away from the church intimidated by self-proclaimed saints?" and i think that pretty much sums up my feelings about organized religions..spirtuality..is a beautiful thing..when one is allowed to grow and form their own beliefs..instead of being forced to believe a faith out of fear...i wish christians could be open enough to simply embrace all faiths..and not demand everyone should convert to christianity..and i'm not saying all christians are close-minded by any means..but i would say the large majority are...life is short..and i would much rather live happily..instead of constantly beating myself up, punishing myself because i've 'sinned'..it's in us..as humans to feel what's 'right' and 'wrong'..and given the oppurtunity i think we can all make that distinction without a book or a faith...christianity to me..is just this amazing idea thought of..to control people..and guess what it worked..then..and it's working now..
re: what do you think about christians nowadays?? (karma: 4)
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 03:54 AM
Edited by dipsy_dancer (34789) on 2005-06-03 03:55:24
They're persecuted. Killed for even looking at a Bible, stoned to death for saying the name "Jesus", raped because they believe in God, tortured for refusing to stop believing.

I read a story of a teenage girl who suffered horrendous burns to the back of her hand for refusing to deny Christ. Her skin peeeled back and her blood litterally boiled. I heard of a soldier who was forced to stand in the snow for days in shorts and a tee-shirt because he wouldn't stop loving Jesus. I hear everyday of children being shot at church meetings. I know of a 16 year old girl who was raped and shot while crossing a border because her parents were missionaries.

Even in a country which allows Civil Unions and has legalised prostitution, I am not allowed to wear a cross necklace at school. Other groups of people are encouraged to stand up for what they believe in. They're all for freedom of speech and tolerance. But Christians are told to sit down and shut up. In the most tolerant countries in the world, Christians do not have the freedom to believe what they want to believe without being brought down for it. "You are intolerant. You are close-minded. I am not going to listen to anything you have to say."

I think that, ultimately, people are always going to see what they want to see. You're going to get replies from Westerners, and they're going to say "Christians are judgemental." You probably aren't going to get many replies saying "Christians deserve to die", but that's what a lot of non-Christians think - which is the exact reason that so many Christians, in the Middle East and Asia, do die for what they believe in.

I do not deny that Christians can be quite judgemental. I've seen the worst of it - I attend church. But that's not all Christians. Most Christians are the ones you dont know about, because they care more about touching every corner of the earth than they do about whether or not homosexuals should get married. It's actually really sad that the minority kill it for the rest of us.
re: what do you think about christians nowadays?? (karma: 2)
By amarathPremium member
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:09 AM
I dunno, what do you think of Buddhists nowadays? Muslims? Sikhs? Jews?

You could essentially cut and paste the name ANYWHERE you like. Either__RELIGION___ is a loathesome thing full of obnoxious people, or ____RELIGION____ is really a good moral and spiritually thing that aids the world.

I mean, whatever happened to both?
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:57 AM
^

Again, Amarath gives me hope for the future of today's youth. Thanks for the little shot of daily optimism ;)

Look - I like Christians. Some of the best people I know are Christians. Mt family is Christian, and I was raised Christian. When I was travelling, and our van broke down in Laramie Wyoming, and my boyfriend and I were both ill with Giardia, a Christian family picked our dirty hippie butts off of the street and took us into their home and gave us dinner, and let us take showers. They were REAL 'good samaritans', and God bless 'em.

That said, I have had similar experiences in which I owe gratitude to Hindus, Athiests, Buddhists, and Muslims.

As far as misconceptions, some Christians ensure that these so-called 'misconceptions' are actually well founded. There are many reasons as to why I am no longer a Christian according to the broad definition of Christian. Sure, I was baptised -willingly - as a decision of my own, and spent many years in the church.

I have been on both sides of the fence, and I'll tell you right now, that for every loving, giving, and true Christian who strives to follow the example of Jesus, there is a Christian tho is judgemental, bitter, and has little to no connection with spirit.

And as Amarath said, you can say the same thing about any other religion.

And dipsy, you don't live in America, do you? - because this is the kind of thing I see everyday:

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/NadiaLadida/scary.gif'
By Napolimember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:19 PM
I have been on both sides of the fence, and I'll tell you right now, that for every loving, giving, and true Christian who strives to follow the example of Jesus, there is a Christian tho is judgemental, bitter, and has little to no connection with spirit.

If a "Christian" is judgemental and bitter, he/she isn't really a Christian. Christians should strive to be more like Jesus and live according to his word.

Jesus said, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." I don't call the judgemental people Christians because they obviously don't act like Christians.

addicted2danze just verified that there are many misconceptions about true Christianity.

and i would much rather live happily..instead of constantly beating myself up, punishing myself because i've 'sinned'

That is the whole point of Christianity. Jesus came to earth and died on the cross for our sins. We don't need to beat ourselves up because we sinned because Jesus died so we don't have to. This "gift" is only given to the people who believe in him though. If you don't, I won't judge you because it is not my place. I don't have the authority to judge anybody.

"i don't care what they say about me
it's alright, its alright
i don't care what they think about me
it's alright, they'll get it one day

cause i love you and i'll follow you
you are my, my life
i will read my bible and pray
and i will follow you all day!"
re: what do you think about christians nowadays?? (karma: 1)
By kirpymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:21 PM
Edited by kirpy (28014) on 2005-06-03 12:41:29 sleep deprivation
^^ I hate things like that little poster, i really do.

and I'll tell you right now, that for every loving, giving, and true Christian who strives to follow the example of Jesus, there is a Christian tho is judgemental, bitter, and has little to no connection with spirit.

Im a Christian, and I am willing to say that yes, that statement is probably true. There are people who say they are Christians, and then go and act the exact opposite to how they should if they believe in the Christian faith, and be totally hypocritical. (I for one, would not call them Christian, and it seems to me that alot of people say they are Christian, alomost like a fashion statement I suppose)

Anyway, its these people who get noticed, and its a shame, because the majority of Chriistians a good, honest loving people.

For example, here in Britain, in a Manchester, untill 2 years ago, there were extraordinary levels of crime, across the board form petty theft, to murder. The police and local authorities were trying really hard to get crime levels down, but nothing worked. Public services like childrens homes, old peoples home, and council housing were a mess too, but no one had the guts, strength, resources, time what ever to do something about it.
During the summer of 2003, thousands of (mainly young) Christians went to Manchester for 5 days, and during the day they went out into the community to help them rebuild what they had. They then could invite them along to an evening of worship, praise and testimonies if people wanted to come and see why these people were here, and who they were, and why they had come to help.

Anyway, the effects were amazing. Communities were reunited, housing, and public services improved to an all time high, and crime was brought down (and still is down) at an all time low- something the police were never able to achieve.

Im not saying your cant do amazing things if your not a Christian, of course you can, and people do, but i think people need to understand that many of us are decent, were not judgemental, or look down on people. We truely try to follow Christs example. But again, i admit there are those who dont set a good example as a Christians, and get the rest of us a bad name.

Anyway, a little off topic perhaps, but i think it fits the general flow of whats been said.

*~kirpy~*
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:32 PM
I think it depends. There are many Christians that I would just love to hurt. The kind that try to force their beliefs on me, tell me I am going to hell for not being a Christian (especially since it's a sin to condemn people), and the kinds that follow Fred Phelps.

BUT there are a lot of Christians that I get along with. I have a christian brother and two best friends that are really deep into their Christianity. I live in the Bible Belt of the South. A LOT of people here are Christians. They respect me for not being religious, they don't tell me I am going to hell, they are great people. They are the epitome of a great Christian, of which there are many out there.

You probably aren't going to get many replies saying "Christians deserve to die", but that's what a lot of non-Christians think

Am I the only one bothered by this? I doubt you know what a lot of non-Christians think. Of course there are the brainwashed people that think that Christians are evil, but we don't know the percentage of that to say "a lot" of them do.
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:54 PM
^I think she meant that in a lot of countries, Christians are killed. I know a pastor and his wife that had to sneak into a country in northern Africa because they would have been thrown in jail or even killed if they said they were Christians.
re: what do you think about christians nowadays?? (karma: 4)
By Spectermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 01:18 PM
I think Christians these days are pretty much the same as they have always been, people like everyone else. However, the most vocal and idiotic of the bunch are getting louder and having more attention paid to them. I also think that Christians are inventing a persecution complex, and dispy_dancer is a perfect example. "OH NOES GAY CAN MARRY, THIS COUNTRY HATES JESUS! CHRISTIANS IS BEING PERSECUTED JUST LIKE DA JEWZ!"
re: what do you think about christians nowadays?? (karma: 6)
By AinetheDragonPremium member
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 02:27 PM
"Even in a country which allows Civil Unions and has legalised prostitution, I am not allowed to wear a cross necklace at school." Thats stupid, that you arent allowed to wear a cross.. however, are other students allowed to wear other religious affiliated jewelry? If they cant wear thier symbols either, then you arent being discriminated against.

"Other groups of people are encouraged to stand up for what they believe in. They're all for freedom of speech and tolerance. But Christians are told to sit down and shut up."

Only when you say things like "the bible says this is wrong so it should be illegal" EVERYONE gets told to sit down and shut up when they start saying that thier religious beliefs should be supported and upheld by the government. You dont like it, go live in a theocracy.

In the US, Christians are being told to keep thier mouth shut when what they have to say is that everyone else is wrong, they are right, and the government should make laws that enforce and privelidge thier religious beliefs. On issues such as birth control, abortion, school curriculums, and marriage, certain christian groups are clamoring for thier voice to be heard above all others, and for the government to use thier standards as standards for the entire country.

When it comes to reproductive issues, no one really minds if christian groups say "I think abortion is wrong" what we mind is when they bomb an abortion clinic because they are "pro-life" or try to say "I think abortion is wrong, and because it is rejected by my church it should be illegal.

When it comes to schooling, and things like teaching evolution in science class, Christian groups are told to shut up when they claim that thier religious beliefs should be taught alongside or instead of widely accepted scientific theories. This is because if state funded schools taught one religions beliefs, they would be supporting that religion above others, and the government cant do that in the US.

When we say "no, you cant put the 10 commandments on the wall in the courtroom" thats because putting religious texts on the wall in a courtroom would be discriminatory and intimidating to people who are not that religion. If it were a buddhist religious quote, you'd scream just as loud that it should be taken down.

When we say that we cant define our legal status of being married by the definition set forth by your religion, thats because it would be discriminatory for those who believe in a religion that has a different definition of marriage.

Christianity has always had a priviledged place in our society, and now that its losing that place, christians are claiming discrimination. Thats like me saying I am being discriminated against because black people can sit at the front of the bus. After all, it used to be that only white people could sit at the front, now, I dont get a special privilege anymore.
By NeoSoulchildmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 03:57 PM
Edited by tooty1981 (117377) on 2005-06-03 15:56:33
^^Haha! Tell it! Magic Karma, because I ran out today. *sprinkle fingers*

By the way, I'm that no nonsense, non-prejudice, open-minded, fun-loving, pro-choice, clairvoyant, bisexual Christian that y'all love so dearly. :D

According to other Christians, I'm the devil. :O
By thebillmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jun 03, 2005 05:46 PM
The loudest voice is usually the most sensational, Whether it be for something extremely positive or extremely negative. Basing your opinion on christians on the behavior of those that you know are doing harm to the religion is as closed minded as basing your opinion of muslims on the extremists and terrorists that have perverted that religion.
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jun 04, 2005 07:06 AM
If a "Christian" is judgemental and bitter, he/she isn't really a Christian. Christians should strive to be more like Jesus and live according to his word.

Napoli, I know this, but isn't that a bit idealistic? People are judgemental by nature, and many use their faith to justify this. I'll say again - NOT ALL CHRISTIANS are this way, but many are, and I'm not saying that they are bad people. And really, it's kind of judgemental for you to say that they are not 'real christians' for judging, because everyone has faults. If somebody has truly accepted Jesus as their personal savior, they are a Christian, judgemental or not.

The nature of organized religion from the beginning of recorded hitory to the present cultivates a culture of judgement and exclusion, and not just Christianity - all organized religion.

It's not just Christians that I have problems with - it's organized religion in general.
By blochgalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 04, 2005 02:00 PM
"If a "Christian" is judgemental and bitter, he/she isn't really a Christian. Christians should strive to be more like Jesus and live according to his word."

Wow... I'm really glad God is on this board to let us know who all is a Christian. Sure, if you profess to follow Christ, your actions should meet up with what you do, but it's a bit extreme to say they are not a Christian. I've been judgemental, and I've been bitter, but I try not to be. I'm human and mess up, but I'm still a Christian.

As for what I think of Christians...hmmm... I think the Church has problems. I think Christians individually are messed up. I think I'm screwed up. Many problems are really there and not misconceptions, but they do need to be addressed. Subliminalmind, I think if you want to change the image of the Church or Christians, you have to do it on a personal level by changing yourself. If you want to know more of what I think The Christian Culture Survival Guide says a lot of it and so does Simplicity by Mark Solomon.
On Sat Jun 04, 2005 03:25 PM
Ok I didn't mean it in that way. I just don't think that a lot of people who claim to know Christ realise that following Christ means trying to be like him. The judgemental people should be trying to stop judging people because it isn't a Christian act.
By fairy_dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:20 PM
www.dance.net . . .

*sings*

Why can't we be friends? Why can't we be friends?...

Anyway, as a Christian (Roman Catholic), I've met people (of many faiths) who thought it was cool that I was a Christian, and others who were judgemental towards me and assumed stereotypes about me. I don't think it's right to judge a religion or its people badly as a whole, based on a few people who claim to be of that religion but don't truly follow it at all.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 06:40 AM
I don't actually think about them.

Unless they are trying to get me to change the way I live by the President they vote for, the abortion clinics they chant outside, the gay marriages they picket. Etc.

Louise
By monUmentalgyal
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 03:28 PM
"By the way, I'm that no nonsense, non-prejudice, open-minded, fun-loving, pro-choice, clairvoyant, bisexual Christian that y'all love so dearly. :D
According to other Christians, I'm the devil. :O"

I dont understand what you're trying to say here. It sounds to me like you're being pretty condescending and judgemental. Woah. Maybe all Christians are like that.
That was sarcasm. But as a christian i find it offesnsive and off-putting that you said a pointless comment like "According to other Christians, I'm the devil." cuz i doubt that's true. I dont know why you said that,but you must have a reason, so i'l let it go, i'll let it go...
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 04:03 PM
It's not sarcasm if you have to point it out. And I assume the poster you quoted was being sarcastic. I actually find it quite funny. I commend you for letting it go, because why should it bother you? This be the internet.

Louise
By OnstageForevermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 04:38 PM
REAL Christians are great. By this, I mean people who follow the Bible's real teachings, such as "love thy neighbor" and "do not judge." The only Christians I have a problem with, don't deserve to be called Christians. They take the Bible, twist it's message, and use it as an excuse to be closed-minded bigots.
By NeoSoulchildmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 06:31 PM
MonUmentalgyal, my comment is only condescending and judgemental if I would've said "ALL" Christians. If you're not judging me, then you shouldn't be offended. ;)

Yes, I do have a reason for that comment. Yes, it was sarcasm.... *eyes scan side to side* That's it.

DanceIsDaBomb, a church is a hospital, not a castle.
There is no such thing as "real Christians", babygirl. Christians go to church to heal and to learn how to be Christ like. You don't automatically become righteous when you accept Jesus as your savior. No one is perfect.. Only He.

Do you like me now, MonUmentalgyal? ;)
By Ellen_Eliz
On Wed Jun 15, 2005 08:02 PM
Edited by pointeplease (129752) on 2005-06-15 20:05:31
I think that christians have a point of veiw that non-christians don't understand. That is why we are misjudged. People may think that our beleifs are wrong, but they're not, just different.
By Saoirse
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 09:49 AM
Isn't it judgemental to judge other Christians who fail to live up to your expectations as "not real Christians" "don't deserve to be called Christians" etc?
Hmmm.....
According to the bible, none of us "deserve" anything. We are given by God's grace.
I sure try to do God's will, but I am pretty sure I get loads of things wrong. Even the people who wrote the bible go through failure, and sin, and bitterness again and again. The best of the disciples behave judgemental, do unloving things, break commandments (Jesus "broke" commandments too by the way)...
Do you really think a Christian that doesn't behave like Jesus doesn't "deserve" to be a Christian? Because if so, that person is you. And me. None of us live up to God's standards. Read the bible, it's all there.
It is so easy to be judgemental. So easy that several Christians in this thread have done just that....

All Christians mess up. Again and again. I won't be selective about who is allowed to qualify as a Christian. Apart from believing in Christ. Otherwise, what's the name "Christian" about?
Apart from that, it's all about getting it, and not getting it. Some things you get, others you don't. Christians are human.
People who are bitter and judgemental (like me sometimes) need someone to listen with love, and give the truth the best way they know how to. The last thing this world needs is Christians who condemn and select. The bible takes a very clear view about that.

Concerning the original question: I believe you wanted the Non-Christian view.
But maybe the Christian view is interesting too: Mother Teresa, asked what she thought was wrong with the church nowadays, answered: "You and I. That's what is wrong. Because we ARE the church."
In my opinion, there is a lot of things wrong with the church (= us Christians) nowadays. But..read the bible. It was no different then. There have always been things "wrong" with the church. Try reading Paul's letters to the first churches. Wooooah, they was some stuff going on then...
We're MEANT to be the salt of the earth. I'm not sure we're doing a very good job. But many are trying.
By Ayamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 01:55 PM
In my experience, there are Christians who are great--friendly, loving, welcoming, the whole lot--and there are Christians who seem to have made it their goal in life to be as judgemental and idiotic as possible. Pretty much every subgroup of society has these people, and plenty in a grey area where the two meet. However, like Spencer noted, a lot of Chrstians (usually of the second variety) have a matyr complex a mile wide, which drives me up the wall. I'd like to thank Dipsy for providing an excellent example of what that looks like, though she's usually one of the nicer people on this site.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch