Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop - Advanced

Hip Hop - Advanced
Devil's Advocate: I will argue for ALL points I am against.
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:47 PM

Hip-hop dance is too difficult and does not have technique. Therefore, Ballet and Jazz techinques are necessary in hip-hop.

The music is just freedom of speech. There is nothing wrong with the lyrics.

Michael Jackson and Usher are REAL hip-hop dancers.

Bboying, popping and locking are played out, krumping is a real hip-hop dance.

There is no such thing as a hip-hop culture, it is just a fad.

These are the points I will argue FOR.
Who wants to accept the challenge of this debate?? hehe.
Invent

10 Replies to Devil's Advocate: I will argue for ALL points I am against.

re: Devil's Advocate: I will argue for ALL points I am against.
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 08:27 PM
Existentialism... flowing through my veins... MORPHING TIME!!!

I'm going to be bold, and take the freedom of speech one.

According to existentialism, we are all free to do whatever we want. There is no restrictions for our actions, only consequences. Man by birth/nature has the absolutely freedom to act or say anything. In the same respect man is free to say whatever he wants.

So why shouldn't a person have the freedom to sit on the balcony of his apartment and pull the trigger to his gun at every single person that walks by his house? The same reason why he shouldn't have the freedom of saying extremely demeaning and hurtfully disrespectful things. Laws that protect people's physical health/safety, should also be protecting their emotional health as well, and that includes self esteem and reputation.

ihop
By Jahz Comments: 221, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 09:47 PM
LOL... this reminds me of a little quote from my friend... I personally quoted her.

"Without rap, there would be no hip-hop."

I'll take the first, I guess...

So. If hip-hop is too difficult, doesn't that mean there's just techniques that you can't understand?
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:54 PM
I'll answer the Yellow Ranger... known as iH0p... first:
You bring up a hard point to argue against...

However, to each his own. YOU may not like my expressions of free will, but I like my own, and surely someone else out there does.

If I can only sell to people my idea of free will and speech... then I can make some big bucks. Surely mental/phycical/emotions healths can come into question, but there are safegards in place in society, like MPAA rathings and the sort. The goverment mandates "Parental Advisory" labels on records. This gives a parent the right to exercise their freewill of buying an explicit album for their kids, or buying it for themselves and letting their kids listen to it. And even though it may be against company policies, an employee of Tower Records can just as easily exercise his/her free will and make a choice of whether or not to sell this record to someone who is obviously not of the right age or mental capacity to make the decision to buy this album... because their young feeble mind is not developed enough to have its own opinion.

To answer Jahz:

I am elitist. My dances are far superior than yours. Therefore when I discover I can't do yours, then I must inherently add my "superior" techniques to make up for my imcompetencies.

Invent
PS- ih0p almost gave me an anurism with that one... go ahead.. kill your future husband honey...
On Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:09 PM
Edited by iH0p (102010) on 2005-06-07 23:09:01
yellow ranger... omg that is so racist...

and omg your argument is too easy

"However, to each his own. YOU may not like my expressions of free will, but I like my own, and surely someone else out there does. If I can only sell to people my idea of free will and speech... then I can make some big bucks."

I bet Hitler was thinking the same thing.... "Well surely someone else out there thinks genocide is a good idea. YOU may not like my expressions of free will, but I like my own. And it'll help the economy... sure at the expense of others, but the big bucks guys... it's all about the big bucks. jajajaja"

You basically ignored the part I said about the necessity of limiting our actions that hurt others.

And those safeguards you speak of censor the main four letter words... but "skeet skeet skeet"? "pussy"? And how do you censor the message? 50 cent's song Candyshop, Just a lil Bit... ANYBODY, even young insecure, easily influenced girls can understand the message. You think kids don't understand what a "lollipop" referrs to? Especially when you got a girl moaning and making sex noises as the chorus. And this is exactly how Just a Lil Bit is being played on the radio right now

Chorus:
All a ??? really need is a lil bit
Not a lot baby girl just a lil bit
We can head to the crib in a lil bit
I can show ya how I live in a lil bit
I wanna unbutton your ??? just a lil bit
Take 'em off and pull 'em down a lil bit
Get to kissin' and touchin' a lil bit
Get to lickin' and ?? a lil bit

honestly... is censoring the word PANTS going to do anything??? Yeah, that's how useful your safeguards are...

ihop

CHECK! RAWR!!!
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 01:48 PM
Mmmm.. Mrs. Conley...
You miss the point about the safeguards... those are the action limiters.

What IS stopping someone from just sitting on their balcony and shooting people at random??? Is it morals, or sometimes is it the fact that they FEAR the consequences...

The legal system is the action limiter. You kill someone... you fear life in prison or the death penalty.

As for censoring pants... that's just 100% stupid... and I'm not answering to that.

I won.
Mr. Conley
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 04:23 PM
my dear, you missed MY point...

I was making fun of your safeguards. They do nothing. They're there just for the sake of argument. Like I said, they can limit the obvious swear words... but they don't seem to be limiting messages, such as those that say "real women suck on..." or "when a guy treats you like this, it's supposed to be flattering."

"The legal system is the action limiter. You kill someone... you fear life in prison or the death penalty." Yeah, so why is it okay for the legal system to limit actions, but not words? Right now, there are few penalties for making songs and airing them about rape. Who's going to fear a few complaints from some wee little women who aren't capable of much but oral sex.

Yes songs about rape... The most popular and outplayed one today: "Wait" by the Yin Yang Twins. Look up the uncensored lyrics and tell me where your safe guards come in. Just because they censor a few words on the radio doesn't mean it's now some code that's impossible for kids to break. Like I said, free speech goes about as far as free actions. Once either one begins to hurt others, it becomes a privilege that is taken away. And in this case, women are getting hurt. You look around this forum and you wonder why girls want freaking tips to know how to please some guy, why they're completely okay with getting slapped or used, or why the term chicken head is floating around. Putting women in their places eh? What place is that... on our knees?

Like I've said BY NATURE there are no such things as restrictions. But in a society/community to make things work, you need laws that protect the general population. FREEDOM TO (say, feel, believe) and FREEDOM FROM (libel, rape, murder, etc). Laws limit both, but they also give you both.

You'd think a few words wouldn't hurt anybody. But psychologically speaking... it clearly does have a major effect. Before Brown vs Board of Education, who would've thought segregation in schools, so long as it was "separate but equal," was hurting anybody? And now who would've thought degradation in MASS media would hurt anybody? Both create a sense of inferiority and raises the youth to think and feel a certain way. What... so I guess sexual harrassment is okay as long as it's not aimed at a specific person?

Safeguards... that's cute.

ihop

CHECK AND MATE
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 08:13 PM
:(

You took away my fun... WWAAAAHHHHH!!!!
Invent
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:48 PM
oh...my.... god.... did the Great Invent get outdebated by the lil mrs. AGAIN??? :O

haha... Hey if I were you I would've thought that was extremely hot. hehe, just kidding.

::muah:: (on the forehead) :]

ihop
Get used to it.
By poppinrice Comments: 40, member since Sat May 14, 2005
On Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:33 PM
Nice invent :D im lovin this debate, and i'll be happy to join in.

I would like to answer Jahz for pointing out about:

"Without rap, there would be no hip-hop."

I had a friend about 2 years who told me "Hip Hop is Rap!"

or "Hip Hop music is the softer variant of Rap music!" or even "Rap is equal to MCing!"

k now i want to drop some 2 cents for the beginneers reading up on this:

Hip Hop is the culture. Rap is the music.

There is nothing like Hip Hop music. You may call it R'n'B or Pop.

MCing is the creative expression with lyrics (NOT THE 50 CENT STUFF ABOUT GIRLS, RIMS, DRUGS!). It's entertaining and moving up the crowd. It's about skillful and creative lyrics. Not every song that has Rap parts in it is an result of the Hip Hop culture. Don't believe the hype! Hit Pop is not Hip Hop!

----

Hip Hop could be a fad, Its just the way every city sees it as. In the suburbs, ya hip hop could be a fad, but for Osaka, Japan, its lifestyle for most cats.
By Jahz Comments: 221, member since Wed Dec 15, 2004
On Mon Jul 11, 2005 09:08 PM
as this one song that I love to listen to says...

"Rap is just another way to make money."

yellow ranger... so I ain't yellow now?

haven't been paying attention to this post... lol

ReplySendWatch