Forum: Highland / Highland Photos - Members

Me in my Aboyne
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 04:25 PM

This picture was taken at the competition in Gent, Belgium, in April. I actually think I look pretty good in it, which is a huge surprise as cameras and I generally don't get along very well. The trophies in the background aren't mine, BTW, I was just posing in front of them prior to the awards being given (didn't win a trophy, bummer ... XD.) My tartan is Dress Burgundy MacLean of Duart.

22 Replies to Me in my Aboyne

re: Me in my Aboyne
By HighlandHottie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 05:42 PM
Thats a really nice aboyen and it really looks good on you! thanks for sharing

x0x tk x0x
By SeniorLadyPremium member
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 06:13 PM
Your plaid has a fringe! That always makes me giggle. But I love the outfit, of course, and I hope you get fat so I can have it. XD
By HighlandHottie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 06:38 PM
Nice SeniorLady lol

x0x tk x0x...still luving your aboyen;)
By SeniorLadyPremium member
On Wed Jun 08, 2005 06:44 PM
I distinctly remember you lusting after my kilt once I outgrow it! I'm not alone in coveting other people's stuff! Cluich's not likely to get offended though (or fat, sadly), so it's ok for me to say that.
By ceolasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 07:08 AM
Nor are you likely to get fat so anyone can have your kilt :P
By booverly
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 07:13 AM
Cluich; how full is your skirt? Does your aboyne have scallops?
You look lovely in it.
By highlandhottiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 07:17 AM
that is one of the nicest aboyne outfits i have ever seen!!! soooo beautiful! it looks wonderful on you too!
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:10 PM
Booverly: my skirt is reasonably full, but not nearly a full circle (I think if it were, the skirt would have dropped straight down). We all wear plaited fringes on our Aboynes over here, I'm afraid I sort of started that (HD hasn't been around for more than 15 years in the Netherlands, and coincidentally I started 15 years ago, so I've set a few trends :D )
My vest doesn't have scallops, it has one large strip on the bottom of the vest that has points rather like Highland vests (about 9 points BTW). I thought scallops were too normal, so I asked my dress maker to 'invert' the scallops.
By booverly
On Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info, it's hard to get the details from the picture. Another question. Is that piping or something similar at the edges of your inverted scallops?
On Fri Jun 10, 2005 04:38 AM
It's just a thin silver shoelace-like ribbon sewn onto the underside of the vest. The laces I used to lace it closed used to be the same, but it frayed too badly, so I replaced it with stronger stuff.
By JacquiB
On Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:28 AM
Your Aboyne outfit is really lovely - the colour so suits you. My Aboyne plaid has a fringe too. Are there lots of competitions on (in?) mainland Europe? I've only ever seen one games advertised.
Jackie
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:37 AM
No, just three regular competitions (that are held annually): Gent, Belgium, in April -- Tilburg, Holland, last Saturday in June (I organise that one) -- Alden Biesen, Belgium, early September. There's always a great atmosphere as it's kind of an opportunity to meet up with the other dancers. And since there are so few dancers here anyway the dancers all know each other by name. That's why it's so great to sometimes see dancers from Britain, Canada, or anywhere else in the world, competing: it totally stresses everybody out because then there is a dancer that we DON'T know how good they are! :D
By Inspirationalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 07:33 PM
Very nice :) Lovely picture of you and I love that tartan!
By highland_emmy
On Sat Jun 11, 2005 09:15 PM
I love that tartan, it's very similar to mine. It looks lovely on you!
By WritingLassie
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 02:25 PM
Cluich that tartan looks lovely on you
By WritingLassie
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 02:26 PM
Cluich that tartan looks lovely on you! I love the fringe!
By buhbamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 15, 2005 02:01 PM
Its gorgeous, mines all scruffy now, im gonna have to start begging mum for a new one :D
emma xox
By JiG_till_u_dropmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 15, 2005 02:59 PM
oh my gosh thats a beautiful tartan!!!
&hearts'
By funkyfling
On Mon Aug 22, 2005 07:04 PM
absolutly love the colour...are plaids not always suppose to be frayed???
By Katja144member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:36 PM
Oooh, nice. Burgundy MacLean of Duart is one of my fav tartans (the regular MacLean of Duart surpasses it by just a skosh).
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 06:15 AM
funkyfling: not that I know, I just love the braided fringe as it's easier to keep neat. I absolutely love my Aboyne, the colours look really good on me and the fit is perfect. The lady who made it was very careful to make the pleats in the top of the skirt sewn rather flat right at the top and my underskirt has a circular skirt so my hips don't look huge in it either.
By funkyfling
On Thu Aug 25, 2005 06:49 PM
it is really beautiful. i did not realize the fringe was braided. i just remember when i came back to highland two years ago after many moons, i still had my old aboyne in which the plaid tied sround my waist and all the edges were sewn, and my teacher told me i would have to fray the one edge. i will have to pay more attention here at the next national comp and see if everyones is frayed.

ReplySendWatch