Forum: Advice / Girls & Guys PG-13

Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3
Girls & Guys PG-13
Everything you ever wanted to know about condoms! (karma: 21)
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4618, member since Tue Jun 04, 2002
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 01:20 PM
Made sticky by Lirit (28370) on 2005-06-13 19:44:56

Condoms come in all different colors, shapes, sizes and even flavors these days. Condoms are available with or without lubricants and spermicide and can even be textured. They can be bought in a number of places like drug stores, sex shops, grocery stores, etc. and teens sometimes even have access to free condoms in clinics and at colleges. Condoms range in price and are not that expensive and since they are easy to get teens think they are the ultimate form of protection. In some sense this is true. but in other senses the condom being thought to be the perfect protection is misleading and can lead to some very difficult consequences.

First...let's go back say... a few hundred years...

In ancient times condoms were not unheard of. but they were definitely not made out of latex as most are today. Condoms in the past were made from goat/sheep bladders, animal skin, linen, oiled silk paper, leather and tortoise shell sheaths. They were made mainly for men only at this time. The word condom comes from the Latin word "condus" meaning receptacle, and it does hold sperm after all. but others say that a man named Colonel Quondam in around 1645 invented the gut condom and that the word condom is a corruption of his name. The first latex condoms were made in 1839 and were said to be as thick as an innertube and not very comfortable! They had advantages to the gut condoms because they could stretch and they wouldn't break as easily.

Now let's fast forward back to the present...

Since then condoms have become thinner and more reliable. in 1995 condoms made from plastic were sold on the market in the United States. The sap from a rubber tree is actually called Latex and is the basic material for condoms. and the condoms are made from a mold and the mold is dipped into the melted latex. Various chemicals are added to ensure the durability of the latex. After the condoms are dried with hot air and then they are powdered. They also go through a number of tests to make sure they work properly. Its unfortunate but some people are allergic to latex. It can make sex painful and may cause a rash or it may make the private area burn. but people in this situation are in luck! Condoms can be purchased that are made out of sheep skin or polyurethane.

When people hear the word condom they automatically think of the condom that goes on a man's erect penis. This of course is the most commonly used condom and probably the most well known. The female condom lines the inside of the vagina and is not as effective as the male condom. They both work by preventing sperm from getting into the female body and also stop body fluids from mixing during vaginal, oral or anal sex. but each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

What makes people assume the condom is fool proof? Probably just by word of mouth, and false information. and the fact that condoms not only help prevent pregnancy but they also help prevent STDs, they can help males take responsibility for contraception and they are widely available. They sound pretty good to the average person.

People also assume the male condom (we will get back to the female condom later) is very simple to use and put on. but people don't always read the directions or practice. and sometimes people who get single condoms from clinics don't get the advantage of getting directions on a box of condoms. People may have not listened when in health class they were told how to put a condom on and this can cause a lot of problems. People also assume that the condom works every time but fail to realize how important vaginal lubrication is in the use of a condom. Without lubrication sex is not impossible buts more difficult and puts a strain on the condom.

If a male condom is put on wrong the condom can slip off the man's penis or even rip open. People's finger nails, jewelry, teeth and sharp objects can tear a condom. Not to mention if a person does not open a condom with care they can cause it damage before it is even put on!

A male condom should be placed first on the tip of an erect penis. The "nipple" should be pointing upward. The nipple is the most important part of the condom. It is the area where the sperm will go and it needs to have any air pinched out of it as the condom is rolled downward on the penis' shaft. If the air remains, the condom can "pop" or break because the "nipple" will have a lot of pressure on it while engaging in sexual intercourse. The pinching and releasing of the air should be done with care and gently and the nipple will deflate in a sense. It helps to have a light on when you put a condom on. If the "nipple" is pointing downward, the condom will not roll on as easily and you'll need to start over with a new condom. It takes practice. Both partners should know how to put on a condom. READ any directions you find in the box.

Many male condoms come with lubrication but some don't. A woman's vagina produces a natural lubricant making it easier for a man to enter her with his penis. Without her lubrication sex can be difficult and painful. People don't realize that if you don't have enough "lube" that you can rip a condom very easily. Artificial lubrication can be purchased at any place that sells condoms. Its usually near by on the shelf and is water based and not sticky and its safe to use with condoms. Saliva(spit) can be used as a emergency lubrication. Never use baby oil, baby lotion, or Vaseline! These oil-based lubricants can actually break down a condom and cause ripping!

The storage of condom is very important to remember. Your wallet and pocket should never have a condom stored in them. If a condom gets shuffled around too much beforehand in the package, there will be wear and tear before the condom is even opened! A condom that gets too hot or too cold can also rip more easily during sex. Usually condoms are good for at least a year when you buy them but one should always look at the expiration date which is usually printed on each single condom wrapper.

Two condoms is not better than one either. As I said before no lubrication makes sex hard because of friction and can cause the condom to break but if two condoms are used there is even greater a chance of friction between the two condoms themselves and can cause breakage as well!

The last important step is removing the male condom. It should be done with care. The man should pull out immediately after ejaculation and he should hold the base of the condom and take it off away from his partner and throw the condom away. Condoms are never to be used more than once.

Male condoms are not 100% safe as you can see because of mistakes when putting a condom on or the accidental ripping and tearing. They have a 12-14% failure rate.

The female condom is a thin, loose-fitting and flexible plastic tube worn inside the vagina. A soft ring at the closed end of the tube covers the cervix during sexual intercourse and holds it inside the vagina. Another ring at the open end of the tube stays outside the vagina and partly covers the vagina lips. They are 79-95% effective if applied correctly.

They can be inserted up to 8 hours before sex and only effective when put on before having sex. Once again, two condoms are not better than one. Do NOT use a female and a male condom together! and do not reuse a female condom.

To insert condom squeeze the ring at the closed end of the tube. Use one hand to spread outer lips and insert the squeezed condom into the vaginal canal. The inner ring should be pushed just past the pubic bone and over the cervix. After insertion make sure condom is not twisted. About one inch will be sticking outside the body. The outer ring will need to be held in place during sex but may increase female stimulation. After intercourse squeeze and twist outer ring to keep all fluids including sperm inside the condom, gently pull out and throw away.

They can be more expensive but they may be an option some woman would want to try. A female condom can break too. Remember the importance of lubrication and correct storing of the condom.

Condoms are an option for anyone who is sexually active but now you know they aren't 100% effective. They are more effective when used along with a birth control pill, or a spermicide but even then sex is not safe, its more safe but there is still the risk of STDs and Unplanned pregnancies. Its up to you what kind of condom will work best...whether you get glow in the dark or red or male or female. Educate yourself and practice using condoms. You can find one to fit any person and they can help you have safer sex. Good Luck!

Taken from: www.teenadviceonline.org . . .
By: Becky

I learnt quite a few interesting things from that article and I hope it's helpful to others aswell.

61 Replies to Everything you ever wanted to know about condoms!

re: Everything you ever wanted to know about condoms!
By ParisAlmamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 957, member since Sat Mar 13, 2004
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 02:16 PM
Good post!! Should be a sticky I think.

Paris x
re: Everything you ever wanted to know about condoms! (karma: 2)
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10300, member since Mon May 06, 2002
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 02:32 PM
Ooh, I have a couple of things to add...

1) Polyurethane condoms are a LOT more expensive than latex condoms. Over here in the UK, a pack of 3 latex condoms costs £3.29 (about $6.50), while a pack of 3 polyurethane condoms costs about 3 times that amount.

2) Some people can be allergic to not only the latex, but also to the spermicidal lubricant on the condoms. I was painfully allergic to the spermicide Nonoxynol-9, which is used on a lot of condoms. So if you feel a burning after sex, try changing to condoms without spermicide before you try changing to latex-free condoms. Its a lot cheaper :)

Otherwise, thats some great info about condoms. I think a lot of people will learn something from it.

angelina xx
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Jun 13, 2005 06:50 PM
Also, if you feel burning after sex, you could have a yeast infection. Under no circumstances is burning a good sign.
re: Everything you ever wanted to know about condoms! (karma: 1)
By Reverie Comments: 3357, member since Thu Apr 17, 2003
On Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:36 AM
Awesome post. Please, everyone, if you're having sex use condoms. Yes, they usually aren't as fun as the "real thing", but unwarranted diseases or babies aren't too fun either.

Also, check the expiration date. Verrry important.
By dAnCe_4_4eVeR Comments: 29, member since Fri Mar 04, 2005
On Tue Jun 14, 2005 01:36 PM
A tip...guys NEVER store a condom in your wallet, it will wear it out and can cause little not visible holes in the latex. Learned that in sex ed. lol

*Lexi*
By rodenas Comments: 48, member since Fri Apr 16, 2004
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 08:56 PM
Edited by rodenas (90698) on 2005-06-16 20:56:14
What makes people assume the condom is fool proof? Probably just by word of mouth, and false information. and the fact that condoms not only help prevent pregnancy but they also help prevent STDs, they can help males take responsibility for contraception and they are widely available. They sound pretty good to the average person.

That's a great post. :) For further info on how condoms may not be as fail-proof as some may think, see dance.net . . .
ummm...
By madetodestroy77 Comments: 8, member since Mon Jul 04, 2005
On Mon Jul 04, 2005 07:43 PM
Great post but isn't this supost to be a boy/girl pg.13 postboard???
By lovablelulu Comments: 63, member since Wed Jun 29, 2005
On Tue Jul 05, 2005 04:11 PM
my thought is, just wait till your married. it will be worth it and just think do you want you husband to have had sex with like 10 other girls before you? well i dont no about you but i dont and im not going to do that to some other girls future husband. and besides sex is the best gift that you can give to your husband so dont waste it on some guy that you arent going to spend the rest of your life with. just think about it.
By vXDaNciNqUeeNXvmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 488, member since Tue Apr 19, 2005
On Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:13 AM
Awesome post! It was very informative. It's true that many girls have no idea how to use a condom. Thanks for the great post!
By crzydanzer21 Comments: 119, member since Fri Apr 01, 2005
On Sun Jul 10, 2005 09:15 AM
awesome post! this is like sex ed in a nutshell! great job! the only thing i would have to add is make sure you do not OVERUSE a condom. i had a condom break on me because my friend and i went for about 2 hours. if it's taking awhile, switch condoms! and wash your hands!
By cool_dancer05 Comments: 75, member since Mon Jan 24, 2005
On Mon Jul 18, 2005 05:43 PM
Removed by glitterfairy (42646) on 2005-07-21 07:27:38 No netspeak please! Spell out all words in full!
your post was too long, couldnt b botherd to read it all, seems good tho.
sorry hun
xxxx lou xxxx
By TheaterGeek Comments: 54, member since Sat Jul 16, 2005
On Sun Jul 24, 2005 05:38 PM
Wow... that is a lot of information about condoms!
By Rouxz Comments: 175, member since Tue Jul 05, 2005
On Mon Jul 25, 2005 06:48 AM
Great info. I thought i knew enough about condoms but i did learn a few good things. Great job!
Rouxz
By intodace419 Comments: 23, member since Sun Apr 24, 2005
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 04:24 PM
thanks for the post it's about time people talk about this more!!!!
By crazydancin_chik Comments: 45, member since Mon Aug 01, 2005
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 04:47 PM
Totally awsome post! I sure found out a lot of new things from it that I never knew before. But, I know one thing for sure, I'm going to wait until I'm married to use those tips!
By imall4u Comments: 39, member since Mon Aug 01, 2005
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 09:47 PM
Edited by imall4u (137560) on 2005-08-02 21:48:38
interesting... my friend and i found condoms in my parents bathroom and we experioment with them.. we also count them alot and see how many they use... do u use more than 1 durring sex??
re: everything you ever wanted to know about condoms!
By elliebelliemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1990, member since Mon Nov 22, 2004
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:24 PM
bravo. *claps*

elliebellie
By DancinAngel19 Comments: 190, member since Sun Jul 03, 2005
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 04:33 PM
I think that was an awesome post. I learned a lot!! Thanks.
By cavyli Comments: 43, member since Sun Aug 14, 2005
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:06 AM
Edited by cavyli (138605) on 2005-08-15 11:07:23
wow, great post. i learnt alot about condom now. lol...i don't know there is a female condom. this post really educate me. lol
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue Aug 23, 2005 06:44 PM
"Great post but isn't this supost to be a boy/girl pg.13 postboard???"

Yes...I would say that condoms are considered PG-13 and it's important that both guys and girls know about condoms and other forms of birth control. It shouldn't eb only up to the guy or only up to the girl. It's a partnership.
By chloe_boemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1418, member since Mon Mar 22, 2004
On Thu Sep 01, 2005 03:22 AM
hehe great post! alot of interesting facts!!

boe xxxx
By Chelle_NotVery Comments: 93, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Thu Sep 01, 2005 09:34 PM
This is like our sexual education all over agian.
(Chelle laughs)
But there was actually a little something I didn't know in there, which is very shocking, because I know a lot about sex.

Toda:
Chelle_NotVery.......Helpful
By love2dance512 Comments: 14, member since Sat Sep 03, 2005
On Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:22 AM
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-09-05 19:28:57 Netspeak.....PLEASE type out all words....whn u type lik thz it makz ur post hard 2 read! Please take the extra two minutes and type words out correctly!! Also removed due to star farming.
cool post. thx
By cristy86 Comments: 21, member since Tue Sep 13, 2005
On Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:05 PM
wow! lots and lots and lots and lots of information! Alot of it a knew, but there was some info that i didn't know, so it was interesting. It is very inportant information that everyone needs to know
Page:
Page 1 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch