Forum: General / Modern / Praise/Liturgical

Praise/Liturgical
Description of Praise/Liturgica l Dance for Newcomers (karma: 6)
By heartzjoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 703, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Tue Jun 14, 2005 06:32 AM
Edited by heartzjoy (103988) on 2005-06-14 06:32:26 fixed up the links
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-07-30 19:11:35

As with most dance forms, a nice thread describing the history, types, and examples of praise/liturgical may be helpful to newcomers.

Praise dance, sacred dance, worship arts, creative arts ministries, liturgical, etc. are some of the names used to refer to this form of dance. Note that sacred dance is something that can denote any type of faith dance (not necessarily Christian). The best way I've found to classify it is as a form of modern dance, but aspects of ballet, folk, and jazz are also incorporated into choreography. It's been around for centuries in the Jewish and Christian faith and also in other faiths as part of the mysticism and expression of different aspects of life as it relates to religion. Jews started this type of dance as a way to worship with the body and not just with words or music. Sometime religious experiences move you emotionally and physically, thus liturgical dance.

Definitions:

Worship dance- more of an adoration and solemn experience, think of lyrical/modern type, introspective dance.

Praise- more upbeat, often has feel good music, larger movement, hands often lifted upward and outward

Liturgical dance- many people use this term interchangably with other forms of dance but the true meaning is a dance performed as part of liturgy in a church service. It would be built into the service like the prayers, communion, etc.

Sacred dance- refers to dance in a faith-based context, not necessarily Christian

Other- at times, props such as flags are used in a colorguard fashion to add to the dance. Costumes are as non-revealing as possible to focus the fellow dancers and audience on the meaning of the movement.

I'll have pictures soon.

Links:
balletmagnificat.com (America's premier Christian ballet company)
www.rc.net . . . (Christian dance Network)
christiandance.com (Another source)
sacreddanceguild.org (Large organization with workshops and festivals)
discountdanceapparel.com (costume examples)

17 Replies to Description of Praise/Liturgica l Dance for Newcomers

good description
By GloryDancer4Him Comments: 117, member since Tue May 17, 2005
On Tue Jun 14, 2005 04:13 PM
hey heartzjoy,

i think you did an excellent job of explaining what the dance is. it does have different names : praise, worship, sacred ect.
thanks for the info :)!!!!
re: Description of Praise/Liturgica l Dance for Newcomers
By Dancing_Warriormember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 185, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:25 PM
That is so awesome! There is a section for worship dance. I didn't know that!
By princessdance_ Comments: 118, member since Mon Apr 11, 2005
On Fri Jun 17, 2005 05:39 AM
grogeous.....
this is really awesome that we can talk about these awesome ways to dance... at my dance school/church we hold dance minestry classes, and alot of our classes we sit down and have a bible study..... its such a beautiful thing...
luv alwayz
anita
cue up Etta James, At Last
By heartzjoymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 703, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Fri Jun 17, 2005 09:11 AM
LOL, yes, it is great to have a forum for us too. Be sure to spread the word and post cool things going on in your neck of the woods.
Praise/Liturgical Dance
By donna7 Comments: 61, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:17 PM
Hi All! Yes, praising and worhipping God thru the art of dance can come in many different styles of dance. I ask that if anyone would like, please keep in prayer Rejoice! Ministry of Performing Arts located in Fayetteville, NC as we are planning a two day work shop the first weekend of November. The founders of Glory Dance Academy will be coming to offer master classes. They are also a part of Dance Revoltion that travels to have week long Christian Dance conferences throughout the world. We are really excited to have them and are praying for God to draw many to see how the performing arts in moves of excellence can be used to evangelize as well as serve in our home churches during praise and worship service. Thanks in advance for praying. And if anyone can please tell me how to post on here without replying to an already poste comment, please let me know. I'm very new to this site. Thanks again in advance. God bless. Donna GdisGrace@aol.com....PS looking for strong Christian Dance Instructors in the Fay. NC and surrounding areas to hire as well. I am poste in the teaching jobs section. Anyone interested please go check it out :O)
By PlainJane Comments: 167, member since Sat Jun 25, 2005
On Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:58 PM
We have a sticky. I think we should celebrate:)
On Sun Jul 31, 2005 08:29 AM
We have to give thanks to the moderators for giving us a sticky, THANKS!
By dancn_spirit Comments: 34, member since Wed Mar 14, 2007
On Sat Jun 30, 2007 02:30 AM
very good definition, there are so many who do not understand what praise/liturgical dance is. there is a wealth of information available from many good sources, some of it is online and can be read, others can be purchased at reasonable prices. two websites i like are:

dancingforhim.com &
stepsorderedbygod.com

they are very knowledgeable and i have met them both. there is a new book on the 'steps' website that is excellent, it is a great addition to anyone's library with plenty of scriptural references to dance, dancing for him has many DVD's and books that are excellent also.

keep dancing...
d_s
By AuntyDanz Comments: 1, member since Thu Jul 05, 2007
On Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:49 AM
Hi,
This is a great site and inspiring too!! Truly enjoyed the stuffs shared here. Anyway, we have a Christian dancing blog at dancing-aunties.blogspot.com
featuring dance videos for choreography, tambourine dance patterns, banners and other dance genres for reference. and some dance music downloads too. We are from Glad Tidings Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.Do drop by n give us some encouragements. God bless!!
Correction of Website
By dancn_spirit Comments: 34, member since Wed Mar 14, 2007
On Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:26 AM
i typed in the wrong website address for Steps Ordered by God: it is: stepsordered.com
we must do all things in excellence.
blessings
d_s
By All4God Comments: 24, member since Mon Aug 20, 2007
On Mon Aug 20, 2007 01:25 PM
Thank you for the different definitions. Would it be alright if I used some of what you've said to add to my webpage which I'm working on. Its actually for the Dance Ministry that I belong to.

this is really awesome. I feel so at home with fellow christian dancers even though I'm miles away!Praise God!
By Aworshipdancer Comments: 4, member since Sun Sep 16, 2007
On Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:20 PM
I love you're definitions! They sound very accurate. I just got here and found some very valuable information through reading your post on Description of praise/liturgical dance for newcomers.
This is a great site I think I'm gonna like it here. I'm very new to this site so please be patient with me.
By HWNM_Dance Comments: 6, member since Fri Jun 16, 2006
On Wed Jul 02, 2008 02:26 PM
Yes this is correct. I have been dancing for Christ going on 16 years and believe me when I say, this form of dance can not be easily learned. This is a different kind of dance that requires you to have a true anointing and relationship with God in order to captivate your audience and minister to them. This is a gift from GOD, not a talent that can be learned. A good reference book to learn more about Liturgical/Praise dance is Dancing Into the Anointing by Aimee Verduzco Kovacs. Along with bible study, we also require our dancers to purchase this for their dance ministry libraries for study time. They are also given exercises and exams to see how well they retain the information.

We have videos on our website if anyone is interested at hiswordnmotion.com or youtube.com . . ..
On Wed Jul 02, 2008 02:27 PM
Yes this is correct. I have been dancing for Christ going on 16 years and believe me when I say, this form of dance can not be easily learned. This is a different kind of dance that requires you to have a true anointing and relationship with God in order to captivate your audience and minister to them. This is a gift from GOD, not a talent that can be learned. A good reference book to learn more about Liturgical/Praise dance is Dancing Into the Anointing by Aimee Verduzco Kovacs. Along with bible study, we also require our dancers to purchase this for their dance ministry libraries for study time. They are also given exercises and exams to see how well they retain the information.

We have videos on our website if anyone is interested at hiswordnmotion.com or youtube.com . . ..
On Wed Jul 02, 2008 02:28 PM

We have videos on our website if anyone is interested let me know.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:04 PM
This is lovely to know this is here. I still can't believe that there are Churches out there that still teach that dancing is a 'sin.' I know a young man whose Church forbids dancing of any kind because it's a sin. I referred him to the movie, "Footloose" that dealt with this topic.
By facainath Comments: 23, member since Mon Jun 21, 2010
On Sat Jul 21, 2012 08:06 PM
Thank you for the information. It explains very well the different types of dance that are often used in a worship setting

ReplySendWatch