Forum: Arts / Poetry

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Poetry
This is annoying now, please stop. (karma: 10)
By AdorableNerdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1362, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Thu Jun 16, 2005 01:32 PM
Edited by lulu_lollipop (50153) on 2005-06-16 13:30:37
Made sticky by alleycat (25274) on 2005-06-17 11:04:22 I think this needs to be a sticky for a little while

Please just stop putting
PLEASE READ AND COMMENT and PLEASE COMMENT etc on your titles.
If someone wants to read/comment, they will do. There is no need to shout out to everyone. I really find this annoying and sometimes, i purposly dont read the ones that have this written on them.
Please use a more appropriate title. If your poem doesnt have a title, put it as My Poem- with no title.
Or something along those lines.
Please stop putting these comments on your titles. Thankyou.
LuCy

39 Replies to This is annoying now, please stop.

re: This is annoying now, please stop. (karma: 1)
By dance_dreamer14 Comments: 229, member since Sun Sep 21, 2003
On Fri Jun 17, 2005 03:40 AM
hi. firstly i just want to say that maybe people put that on their titles because they want peoples advice on their poetry and want to know how their poetry is going. And Also maybe because they want people to feel their poetry, their emotions etc. secondly its not really doing anyone any harm its a way of saying that this poem is really important to the person and they really do want others to check it out and understand it and give back a comment. it may be annoying to you but well i dont really think other people think its such a a big deal..coz its not..its peoples poetry its their title not to be rude or anything but i think they have the write to choose what they want to say....
but anyway thanks for giving your thought
luv ange
re: This is annoying now, please stop.
By dance4lanimember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6238, member since Fri May 02, 2003
On Sat Jun 18, 2005 06:12 AM
but obviously everyone who posts wants a reply to their emotive poetry and wants a comment on their writing, why else woul they have posted.
I agree with the original poster...its unnessacary (sp) and its quite annoying, By yelling out to us that they want their piece to be read, only turns readers away (at least it does for me)
She is being rude, she is making a statement which i think is very legitimate
lani
By Elite_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 467, member since Wed Nov 24, 2004
On Sat Jun 18, 2005 09:13 PM
Edited by Elite_Dancer (114251) on 2005-06-18 21:11:34
I agree with dancedreamer, though I do believe you and others are entitled to your opinions, it may bother you and others BUT it doesnt bother everyone, and I think its the right of the poster to write what they want to as their posts title as long as its not rude or vulgar, but again I do believe you are entitled to your opinion
By LadyoftheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 369, member since Sun Aug 22, 2004
On Tue Jun 28, 2005 03:58 PM
Let them write what they want on their titles! I LOVE reading the things people put down if it requests out in the open to reveiw! It means they spent a lot on what they wrote and that they want all who read it to critique it and admire it. Not all who read the story will reveiw. I should know because I don't ever get commented unless I ask to be. Let them write what they want as their titles! They have every right to. I don't nag people out for doing things that annoy me unless it is my little brother or sissy. Why do you think people were created with a free will?
By desired2sing Comments: 36, member since Wed May 11, 2005
On Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:43 PM
if you had poetry that you wanted to be read and that you are proud and didn't no one read it how would you feel
By Jecajoy Comments: 178, member since Wed Jul 13, 2005
On Tue Jul 19, 2005 02:34 PM
What if you just put a boring title what will artact people to read it. Big entertainging titles are what make people read it. Its like Judging a book by its cover. It not what you should do but it works.
By xpaigexmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1799, member since Mon Mar 14, 2005
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:20 AM
hi
i agree with dream dancer
i allways put please look
because it took me a lot of time
and i would love people to look at it
but if it was a aboring title no one
would look but because it says please look
i think you get more readers
all so you are being polite by sayin PLEASE look
and not just hers a picture of so and so
hope this is wright
but everyone has there own oppion
love xpaigex
By Julez28member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 381, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Fri Jul 22, 2005 09:22 AM
If you have written a genually good poem surely its not that hard to come up with a good and interesting title.
If someone wants to read they will. I dont think putting PLEASE READ will help.
re: This is annoying now, please stop. (karma: 3)
By AdorableNerdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1362, member since Sun Nov 24, 2002
On Fri Jul 22, 2005 03:02 PM
desired2read, you don't have to tell me i have no heart or what ever you are trying to point out. I DO know how it feels when no-one replies to your messages. It happens to me all the time. But you get over it! Not everyone is going to enjoy your poems. You want to see how many people disliked mine in the past? Do you??
Ok, here you go.
dance.net . . .
dance.net . . .
dance.net . . .
dance.net . . .
dance.net . . .
dance.net . . .
dance.net . . .

HAPPY??
And if you think I'm having a go at you, you're quite right. Don't lecture me on how much it hurts to have no replies to a poem. OK?
LuCy
By dance_dreamer14 Comments: 229, member since Sun Sep 21, 2003
On Sat Jul 23, 2005 06:16 AM
relax man. ok we knwo it hurts were not saying you have no heart and that was surely what no one intended were just saying that if someone wants to put that kinda thing on their titles well its up to them and its not a big deal. no hard feelings ok we didnt mean to get you all fired up liek that we just said what we thought of the situation.
ange
By AutomaticTeapotmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1318, member since Mon Jan 31, 2005
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 05:33 PM
lucy has a good point people will reply if they feel like they can add something useful and putting 'please reply etc' won't help, if anything it will make the person not want to reply more because it makes you look desparate

just me...
By LadyoftheDancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 369, member since Sun Aug 22, 2004
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 03:38 PM
I think putting PLEASE LOOK helps a lot! I always have! people read them and no one has ever complained before about it! There's nothing at all wrong with it, and they are our own poems and we have every right to put WHATEVER we want as the title. It DOES actract more readers and it Is polite. You shouldn't get so mad, Lucy, people were just stating their opinions on the subject. If you didn't want peple to disagree, then you should not have posted your thingy. I'm REALLY not trying to say anything bad or to bring you down, but just let people write what they want as titles. : )

If it is annoying to you, then don't read them or just ignore them. We have every right to put whatever we want on the title.
re: This is annoying now, please stop. (karma: 4)
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 03:42 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2005-08-02 15:43:04
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2005-08-02 15:43:37 I can't believe I misspelled Azkaban!
Isn't it possible to put "Any critiques welcome!" or "Comments welcome" INSIDE the message? She's not saying you shouldn't mark them as such, just that it's not appropriate to put them in the title. I mean, would you pick up

HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN PLZ READ ME KTHXBYE!!!!!

from the store?
And it's obviously important, or else a mod wouldn't have made a sticky out of this post.

Dani
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 03:42 PM
If you dont want us to lecture you on how much it hurts to have no one read your poems, then why are you lecturing us about writing PLEASE COMMENT or PLEASE LOOK?? Frankly, it seems rather well...it seems kind of unfair that you can lecture us , but we can't do so to you.
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 03:44 PM
Yeah, I would buy it... after all, It doesn't mean it's any less good than if it were to have a normal title.
re: This is annoying now, please stop. (karma: 2)
By SnowWhitemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7666, member since Sun Oct 27, 2002
On Tue Aug 09, 2005 08:27 PM
I agree with you, Lucy.

People, this is a message board. The idea of posting here is so that people read what you have to say. There's no need to put "PLEASE READ" in your titles. Obviously you want people to read your post.. otherwise you wouldn't have posted it in the first place.

I, too, don't read threads that have anything along those lines in the title because I find it annoying and silly. Your better off putting a nice descriptive title of your poem.
That was A little Rude!
By LasSylphide85Premium member Comments: 71, member since Sat Jul 09, 2005
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 05:59 PM
To people new to this sight or to revealing their thoughts to others maybe really have that title for a reason personally I get confused at this site because yes I am typing on my first comp. at age 27. Take it somewhere else
By Kayte Comments: 986, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:17 PM
I agree Lucy. I would be no more likely to read a poem that says PLEASE READ than any other poem. It actually makes me not want to read them sometimes....

Just my thoughts

Kate xx
re: This is annoying now, please stop. (karma: 1)
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member Comments: 7417, member since Sun Apr 18, 2004
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:45 PM
Putting 'please read' or something of that nature is...well, as she said it ANNOYING. I will read what I want to read, and havnig someone beg for my attention is a real irritation. If I read it, then I read it. If I have something interesting to say, then I will comment. That's how it goes.

If your writing is really important to you, then you are writing for YOU to feel good about it. Not for the praise of others. So, to me, if you put 'please read' in the title, then I assume that it's just a crowd-pleaser writing. You may not like that, but it's what I think.

I respect writing and the writer more if they just offer their writing up to critiques and praise as is. Not trying to call attention to it, or disclaimers up front.

~Always
Thia is Annoying?
By LasSylphide85Premium member Comments: 71, member since Sat Jul 09, 2005
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 04:19 PM
So your saying that these postin are "yelling at you" really they are yelling at you... Thats funny because last night while in a chat room here I was almost spanked for "yelling" I did nit know that anythiong typed in all caps would yell at all the other chatters. A girl even said she told me not to do it herself rather than having me "temporarily banned" chatting.

But hey maybe I'm wrong and these poor people are actualy getting yelled at by words and this is annoying them to such a degree they lose sleep over it.

How 'bout this CHILL!!!!
By lisskmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6639, member since Thu Jul 21, 2005
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:50 AM
^The term for it is "shouting". It's because if the words were spoken aloud, it would sound as if a person is yelling at you. It can be hard to read sometimes too because it is more natural to read the mixture of upper and lowercase letters (but not "LiKe ThIs").

And lmh? I said that it is nicer to have other people in chat to let people know who are doing this "shouting" (whether intentionally, or unintentionally) rather than not being warned at all and having someone tell a moderator.
By iliahmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2331, member since Tue May 10, 2005
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 01:17 AM
It's annoying when you're just begging for comments by putting "Please read" or "Please comment".

If people read it and want to comment, they will. Telling them to do so is pointless.

If they read it and don't want to comment, the added commentary of "Please comment" is very annoying.

How's that for a descriptive title? I thought the point of posting in DDN is to have a descriptive title. And the point of posting in this forum is that your poetry would get critiqued? I never knew that you were only supposed to use "Please read" as a title and only expect comments like "Good job."

Totally agree with Lucy.

~fairy
By dance_grlmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1668, member since Sat Apr 17, 2004
On Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:22 AM
i agree with lucy, it has to be said, it's kind of silly because as already mentioned everyone wants their comments read, so what makes some people so different that they have to write 'read me' if we didn't want our comments read, we wouldn't post them! because i have to say i've not yet seen a post saying 'Don't read me' (might try that sometime and see what kind of reaction it gets.....(joking))so we can just assume that all want to be read, therefore don't write these things, it's a waste of your energies.
Plus this is a sticky, so it must be making a decent point!
But hey, we can all agree to disagree, but i'm with lucy!

Comment #3921572 deleted
Removed by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-08-17 18:19:35 How about this.....Typing in all Caps is against our rules....if you don't have time to learn the rules than perhaps you don't need to continue posting here.

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch