Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers
Quick Reminder - What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for (karma: 7)
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:24 AM
Edited by EireRince87 (54553) on 2005-06-22 13:15:32
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-06-22 15:08:59

The Irish Dressmakers and Costumers board was created to allow posters to post photos and discuss all facets of Irish dance dressmaking & costuming including fabrics, designs, patterns, etc.

Please note this does not include "What do you think of this dress?" posts. It would be greatly appreciated if you would post these types of posts in Irish Photos - Members if the pictures are of yourself and your dress or Irish Photos - Misc if the pictures are not of you. (When using the Misc board, please observe and respect all Copyright laws.)

This board should be solely dedicated to questions directly correlating to dress MAKING. As stated above, that means fabrics, designs, patterns, fit of dresses, wear of costumes, costume rules and regulations, etc.

Here's to bringing this board back to it's original purpose. *cheers*

20 Replies to Quick Reminder - What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for

re: Quick Reminder - What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for
By IrishGurlz555member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 813, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:58 PM
hip hip *HOORAY!* hip hip *HOORAY!* hip hip *HOORAY!* Thank you!
By dancin4ever333 Comments: 12, member since Sat Mar 12, 2005
On Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:17 PM
Removed by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-06-30 23:35:10 If you continue this behavior, your account will be terminated.
BBSF VSBD JBJKSF BJSDM GBBDHHSKMA (NFBBEJHR9) ok yell back at ya!
re: Quick Reminder - What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for (karma: 2)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Aug 18, 2005 08:04 AM
Edited by weezy (29559) on 2005-08-18 08:08:30
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, does it really matter? This is so incredibly petty. The 'mission statement' of this board:

Post photos and discuss all facets of Irish dance dressmaking & costuming including fabrics, designs, patterns, etc. If you're selling your costume, please visit the Irish - For Sale forum instead. Any costume ads posted here will be removed.

That disallows adverts, which is fair enough. It does not disallow 'what do you think of this dress' or 'what is your favourite dress' posts. "All facets" of costuming includes dresses that we like.

This board should be solely dedicated to questions directly correlating to dress MAKING.

...is your interpretation of that welcome message which really isn't any more correct than anyone elses.

There aren't that many posts on this board to begin with, I don't see how the odd 'what do you think of...' post really hurts anybody.

I realise this has been made a sticky so clearly the mods must agree with you, but I feel it's petty. I will abide by the rule - I didn't really post 'what do you think of's anyway, but what better place to discuss dresses than....the dressmaking and costume board?

Louise
re: Quick Reminder - What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for (karma: 2)
By I_Love_TreblePremium member Comments: 598, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:01 PM
I am sure I will make the original poster mad, but, here is my opinion. I am new to dance.net and while I have found valuable information and interesting chats, I have also found grumpy, hateful, bossy people. I have been accused of "star farming". How could I be star farming when I didn't even know what it was. My life is not so uninteresting and uneventful that I even care how many stars I get.

Everyone's opinion counts. So what if you don't agree. Someone else does. Just skip over what you don't need and let others express what they need.

Life is too short to be so unhappy!!!! Lighten up!!!! :) :D
On Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:15 PM
^ You could have made the same point without implying that I'm grumpy, rude, and hateful. And I'm a happy person, but thanks for your concern. (not)

And weezy - I posted this in the 3 week span when this board was getting nasty as sin with people bashing dresses on the "What do you think of..." posts. All other posts were immediately being pushed into the archives and ignored, and a sense of anarchy was taking over the dressmakers board. It was pretty much a mini-voy for dress bashing and people were getting hurt and defensive. This post seems out of place now as none of this is going on anymore, but it was needed (in my opinion) when it was originally posted.
By I_Love_TreblePremium member Comments: 598, member since Sat Aug 27, 2005
On Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:50 PM
As I said, I am new. I would have no way of knowing about trouble 3 weeks ago. I was browsing through ALL of the Irish dance catagories and this just stood out to me.
What was the point of saying thanks for my opinion - NOT. That shows that you don't care what other people think.
This is my last post to you. I am sure you will want the last word, so go ahead and blast me. I won't even read it. :) :)
On Sun Sep 04, 2005 01:22 PM
^ No, it shows that don't care about the opinion of someone who implies I am being grumpy, hateful, or bossy.

I'm not blasting you, I don't know where you got that idea from, I'm trying to help you understand why this post was made and that it's not kosher to reply to a message in a negative manner (directed AT another member, none the less) when you don't know the reasoning behind it.

Nothing more, nothing less.
What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for
By IrishDancnHobbitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 222, member since Tue Jul 13, 2004
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:01 PM
This section is titled Dressmaking and Costumers so I can see where you are coming from, but what if one of the dressmakers asks "What do you think of this dress?" can you really discard it? how do you know if they are a dressmaker or not? if you are not one and none have conplaned then why worry?
Just a though.

Hobbit
re: Quick Reminder - What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for (karma: 1)
By rallyhopbackPremium member Comments: 2969, member since Fri Jan 09, 2004
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:57 PM
Hobbit:
As DefyingGravity mentioned 3 posts up ^, there was a time recently where this Dressmakers & Costumers board was being overrun with people posting photos of dresses and asking "What do you think of this dress?" Unfortunately many dresses were odd looking dresses (to some) and they seemed to be posted here just to make fun of the dress and by association, the dressmaker and the dancer who chose to wear it. Even if the OP didn't intend for a dress to be made fun of, it often turned into a bash session.

Secondly, these posts, and there were many of them, would bump down legitimate questions to and from dressmakers and costumers.

After much discussion it was agreed by consensus of the members here and by the Moderators that any posts along the lines of "what do you think of this dress?" would go into the Irish photos forums.

It seems to be working out very well.

Yes, dressmakers do sometimes post their latest creations here and ask for feedback or just post a photo to show off their art and skill. This is very different in my mind than radomly finding a dress on the internet and asking what others think about it.
Most dressmakers are well known and any member posting a photo and claiming to have made a dress they did not make, would soon be found out, so I doubt your hypothetical scenario would occur.
What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for
By IrishDancnHobbitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 222, member since Tue Jul 13, 2004
On Wed Oct 05, 2005 02:56 PM
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2005-10-06 13:43:02 Pointless post. Unless you care to let the rest of us in on the joke, that is.
LOL
re: Quick Reminder - What the Dressmaking and Costumers board is for (karma: 3)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:18 PM
Secondly, these posts, and there were many of them, would bump down legitimate questions to and from dressmakers and costumers.

If you want to look for them, it isn't hard. You can set the thread to 'watch', you can look through your recently posted, or *gasp* you can scroll down. This isn't happening anymore even though people never read stickies. This rule in unnecessary.

If a post IS simply posted to make fun, how hard is it to press the mod button rather than punishing people who might wish to ask a dressmaker what they think of a new dress they've made? What they think of this new style - is it easier to make than the older one? What they think of the colours on this dress - would they suit a brunette with green eyes? Etc.

DDN is far too draconian in general, I for one would very much like to see the Irish section at the very least retain a modicum of sense, and the 'fun' for which this site was supposedly created.

Louise
:)
By TwinPeakesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2410, member since Mon Dec 05, 2005
On Mon Dec 05, 2005 05:38 AM
I am a dancer in Australia...but i am also a dress designer and a dressmaker. I have my own business under the name of Creative Fleire. I have designed over 100 dresses already, even though the business is still young. I have made 6 costumes and they have all turned out beautifully, including my own, and i am only 19 (i started two years ago making my first solo costume) after i wanted mum to teach me just for something to do. Now i make my own, and my two sisters costumes whenever it comes time for us to get one :)
For anyone wanting a design, or a dressmade, email me at twinpeakes86@hotmail.com
By Smilinirish Comments: 20, member since Sun Jan 13, 2008
On Tue Jan 15, 2008 05:26 PM
I think that, while people may 'bash' other people, it's fun to look at dresses, and see all the new styles. I really don't think that this is a problem...
By Dresswitch Comments: 444, member since Wed Mar 26, 2008
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 02:42 PM
Edited by Dresswitch (194063) on 2008-06-24 16:21:44 spelling
Does this mean I can't post pics of the recent dresses I made for my DD ? Well I'll put them on my website instead than, after the Feis this weekend. :(
By wildwoodflowermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 829, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Tue Jun 24, 2008 06:37 PM
Many people post those here to show their handywork, or post them in the photos boards, either one is ok if you made the dress yourself, but if you bought the dress the photo boards are more appropriate.
By Dresswitch Comments: 444, member since Wed Mar 26, 2008
On Wed Jun 25, 2008 01:55 AM
Thanks Wildwoodflower, I can put them here at the dressmaking board because I made them myself. As my designing style is different from what other DM's are doing I thought it nice to know what colleges think of it.Next week I put them up here :) .
By lorna_doonemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1532, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Thu Jan 01, 2009 04:10 PM
hahaha- does anyone else think it rather comical that people are having a tizzy fight on the dressmaking and costuming board, AND on a post reminding us what the board is actually FOR???

Maybe I just have an odd sense of humour- but I find it hilarious =P

Also, having the last word is quite immature.
k I'm done- I've had my laugh =D
By AussieLauramember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1129, member since Sun Mar 07, 2010
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:03 PM
I was just wondering, because I'm new to the site, whether I can show a picture of my new dress in this section- if it's ok for doing that, or should I show people my new dress in another part?
By Hrynmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 924, member since Wed Aug 15, 2007
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 PM
^ I would recommend putting it in the Irish Photos- Members section. I think that tends to be where new dress pictures tend to be put. You can put a picture of your new dress in this section, but you'll get different replies from one place or another to a certain extent. if you made the dress though, by all means, this is the place to put it!
By Realtreble Comments: 2094, member since Tue Dec 06, 2005
On Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:33 AM
As a DM, I have posted photos of new dresses asking for any last minute input or photography advice. I realize dance.net does not want to lose any dress advert revenue by people circumventing the "for sale" page. On the other hand I feel requests for feedback on newer dresses or notifying fellow DMs of my newest style attempt is a legitimate function of this board. When I create these types of posts, I'm not looking for reactions from non-seamstresses, but from experts in my field who have something substantive to write.

Your real objection should be to lurkers on this board who are not DMs or attempting to learn more about dressmaking. Perhaps that should be more of your focus.

ReplySendWatch