Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

That dang camel spin
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jun 23, 2005 09:01 PM

So I spent the bulk of my lesson working on my camel spin. All of my other spins are improving dramatically - my sit spin, one foot, scratch spins - heck, even my terrible back spin is coming along. I can't for the life of me get into the right position for the camel. I can do great spirals, I can do the position off the ice...I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. For some reason it's so tough for me to pop up into the position and keep my legs straight, my shoulders not scrunched up, and my back arched. Sometimes I'll do one of the three, but then the other two things just get worse. I know it takes a while to get the spin, but is there anything I can do to practice getting into the position? Or any tips anyone has related to the camel spin would be great. When I see other people do their camels it never looks as severe as I think my coach wants me to do, but maybe I'm so far off that the "severeness" is actually correct. He says that the camel is one of the hardest spins to learn, and I know it will take a while but man oh man, I've had little to no progress on it since I started learning it a few weeks ago. It literally looks like I'm peeing on a fire hydrant. I think the camel is one of the prettiest spins, and what I'm doing is most certainly NOT pretty.

Help, advice, tips, moral support - anything appreciated!

9 Replies to That dang camel spin

re: That dang camel spin
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jun 25, 2005 08:54 AM
Hello :D from your posts it seems like your progressing really fast in skating! I'm jealous! Anyway, for the camel spin I think you should first concentrate on getting the leg position right (at least in a straight line with your body) and your arms position (straight to the side, so when you are standing up it looks like a cross, the same position as the crucifix kind) and then when you settle those two then work on arching your back.
My problem with the camel is that I tend to throw my arms to the back (close to my body) rather than to the side. My other problem is that I lean too far down. I often have to remind myself not to bend too low down, if not I go up on my toepick and everything goes haywire.
Most of the time I spend my first 2 rounds lifting my body higher, arching my back and straightening my spinning leg. Coach gets really frustrated - 'why can't you start spinning in the good position in the first place instead of trying to spend 2 rounds getting there??!' Oh well, hope this helps.
My new coach tried to get me starting a camel from an upright entry. It was very weird. I don't suggest you trying that. Good luck and try to get your body up and arms to the side. :)
By seastar
On Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:01 PM
Hope I can be a little help here..

Try to go into postition as quik as possible when you start to spin. Dont raise your laig slowly, you'll loose balance and will never be able to get into a good position. It sould be like :"boom!" Also, "block" you knee on your support leg, try to put you weight just behind your toes. Dont put to much weight on the back of your foot, again you wil loose balance.

good luck
seastar
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:33 PM
Edited by ballerina84 (97786) on 2005-06-26 12:31:19
I'm going to disagree with you...
When you're going up into the camel position, you don't want to snap into it. You want to bend your knee and slowly raise up into the position. You can raise your back leg right away, but keep your standing knee bent and your back down. If you snap into too fast, you'll lose it.
Also, (assuming you spin counter clockwise), use your left arm to guide you around. You should keep it crossed over your body until you push into the spin, and then circle it around as you start spinning.
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 08:31 AM
Hi, I usually take quite a while to get into my best camel postition - about 1.5 rounds to get right then I begin arching my back and stuff. My coach said I should be getting right into the position straight away by the 1st round.
I find when I try to snap into it, I lose my balance. But she says I should still try. (I've recently changed coach, and my new coach doesn't say a thing about it)
What do you think?
By seastar
On Tue Jun 28, 2005 03:39 PM
ballerina... if you are slowly going into your position, you will loose a lot of energy, your spin will be less efficient. Imagine lifting your leg while spinning... no the best.. Also, you have to position again and again your gravity center (wich changes with your position. The lay back spin is the only one i see when you go slowly into position.

Anyways, if it works for you... but i still believe that the fastest you get into position, the best it is.
On Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:23 PM
I'm just saying that you shouldn't pop into your position like "boom", as you said, because you can lose control of it very easy that way, especially for a beginner.
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jul 08, 2005 09:37 AM
Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would continue ranting/complaining/throwing myself a pity party in the thread I started before.

I DID a camel spin last night, witnessed by my coach and my friend whose jaw was on the floor....but it was purely by accident because it wasn't duplicated. On top of that, my coach wasn't exactly overly enthusiastic about it - he said even though I was spinning (I got around like, 5 times) I had the worst body position.

I can't seem to keep my legs straight. That goes for BOTH legs. When I step into the spin, my free leg bends automatically. Thats the first problem. When I follow my left arm around (I'm a CCW spinner) I wait one revolution before getting into the "camel position" - raising the back leg, getting a good arch, and straightening the skating leg. But because my free leg bends with away, I usually end up with a bent free leg. I also find it VERY difficult to straighten my skating leg. My shoulders get all hunched and well...it doesn't feel good, and I know its far from right.

I know that the camel spin is hard and takes a while to get, but I'd really like to correct the body positioning. Even if I'm not spinning just yet, I'd like to have good form. My coach suggested just practicing spiral positions off the ice, pushing up from a bent knee.

I have a spin trainer at home (the round gold metal kind) - is there any way to use this to practice the spin?

This is kind of a rant, mostly because up until this point everything has *clicked* for me. My sit spins are REALLY nice now, and my scratch spins looks good ...I dunno...it's just annoying knowing that I generally have such good line on the ice that this spin looks so god awful. Even my coaches wife, who is another coach at the rink came over and said that she was surprised that I was struggling so much with the camel because I have great spirals and good body position in everything else I do.

If anyone has tips, advice, motivation, off ice-exercises...I'm willing to try anything and everything. My coach says to visualize I'm flying like a bird...I'd love to feel that way, but right now I'm so hellbent on making sure everything is right that I can't relax into the spin. Maybe thats the problem?

Gah...sorry for the rant, but I'm just trying to get this off of my chest. My coach also reminded me that I never thought my sit spin would be as good as it is and its only been a couple of months since I learned it, so my camel will come in time too. (My sit spin never had problems with body position though).

Okay, enough complaining, time to get proactive. Help!
On Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:18 AM
About the skate spinner...
For me personally, I did not find it very helpful, especially for camel spins. It didn't feel anything like it would feel on the ice. The only thing I really practiced on it were forward and back scratches, and even then, it was more of just a balancing act. But I would still encourage you to give it a try. It may work out better for you. Just be careful to use it in an open area because doing a camel spin on that thing could be potentially dangerous.
On Fri Jul 08, 2005 01:34 PM
Hullo. I don't use a spinner either because it doensn't help me work my entry edge, which makes a big difference to whether I can get a good spin or not. I would say practice helps but you already skate so often and do off ice as well!
Be patient? The amount of effort you're putting into it is sure to pay off soon. All the best.

ReplySendWatch