Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

I fell...HARD.
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 26, 2005 05:07 PM

Yesterday I had my group lesson, then the public session after. My private coach was just sitting around when I was working on my camel spins, and he was like, "since you're not going to be here next week, let's work today and you can pay me whenever". Cool! So he was helping me fix my camel, insisting that I straighten the skating knee...gah, it was so frustrating so at one point I made the resolve to just DO it, give it everything I had...

Well I gave a little too much. Instead of straightening the leg, I tried to force my body up using what muscles I don't know, which resulted in my free leg swinging through to the FRONT and me falling backwards, head first, on the ice. At the last second something in my body screamed "TURN OVER OR YOU WILL DIE" so I did a half twist in the air and landed on my hip/stomach.

My coach looked absolutely petrified. He demanded to know if I was okay and all I could say was "I don't know". I couldn't move - shock probably, and I wasn't sure if I broke anything. I was actually kind of amazed I was conscious. I definitely had the wind knocked out of me and I was seeing black spots. Finally, after who knows how long I was just lying there in the middle of the ice I pulled myself up to me knees - that's when the searing pain started. My left hip was the worst, followed by both knees, my right ankle, my upper left chest, my back, my right elbow. The hip began to swell immediately and my coach checked my out from head to toe to make sure that nothing was broken, sprained, whatever.

After he gave me a couple of minutes to gather myself I was still in pain, but I guess adrenaline kicked in because I finished my lesson. I know, I'm insane. I even worked on the camel spin again, figuring if I let fear get the best of me now, I'll NEVER be able to do it. So I was a little less aggressive, and more mindful of my body weight and the rest of the lesson was relatively uneventful. There were a few times when I had to stop because I felt lightheaded for a few seconds but then I was okay. I even almost managed to land my flip jump. Almost. Definitely getting closer. My coach actually gave me an hours lesson even though I'm only paying for 30 minutes - I think he feels bad, like he had something to do with my fall. I have no one to blame but myself, but I'll take the extra time!

I then ran around like an idiot getting ready for my boyfriends 30th surprise party, and I needed to go buy a new pair of pants - at this time though, my hip was SO SWOLLEN that I couldn't button/zip anything. I have bony hips so there was NO padding there to cushion the fall. I bought a skirt 2 sizes too big instead. Later on that night, like 7 hours after the fact I was able to sit down and ice my hip and knees and elbow and I passed out. I was in pain last night, but I didn't have time to notice...

This morning/afternoon...ugh....I'm aching in every place you can think of. My butt is sore from falling on a loop jump on Thursday, but my back, neck, legs, knees, right ankle, right elbow and left hip are so, so tender and swollen and sad. I'm bruised all over - my friends were laughing about it (so was I - it WAS funny because I wasn't seriously hurt, and I'm wishing someone was video taping so I could go on America's funniest home videos) saying it looked like I fell down a flight of stairs. My boyfriend suggested that I not try stuff like that if I'm going to potentially kill myself. I strongly disagreed, as only a die hard skater would. I'm sure you all can relate. If I have to be stuck working on smaller elements on the off chance that I MIGHT hurt myself doing something harder - I might as well quit now. Then he suggested I go back to pointe, where I never got hurt. Who is he kidding? I had to laugh, not at him, but in general. I've had more serious injuries as a dancer than as a skater.

I'm going to try to link you guys to pics of my bruises in the next couple of days - waiting for the FULL spectrum of colors to come through lol. They're pretty spectacular if I do say so myself. This of course brought on stories from other adult skaters/coaches about THEIR injuries - worst of all being my coach being run over by a 250 pound guy then getting kicked in the gums with a blade and being knocked out and having NO memory of the event, but having serious reconstructive surgery on his gums/teeth and having to go through a small period of rehab.

Anyone else have any horror stories they'd like to share? Anyone that says figure skating is for wimps and "girls" is crazy. I'd like to see a hockey player take a fall like I did without pads and see his reaction. He'd probably still be crying lol.

Not to toot my own horn, but beep beep - I think I did a great job of NOT killing myself, or at least splitting my head open, and I get karma points for finishing my lesson PLUS working on the same element despite my coaches hesitation. Determined is a good word to use here.

I'd prefer not to fall like that ever again. Ever.

6 Replies to I fell...HARD.

re: I fell...HARD.
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 08:37 AM
OH my gosh. I hope you're alright now? Good that you're still in one piece. I think it was a good idea to try the camel so now you don't have a phobia.
Maybe next time you might consider wearing butt pads? Might ease the pain. My worst falls have been on my flying sit, flying camel and (crazily enough) on a mowhawk-threeturn move in footwork. Crazy things happen, but you will recover and improve.
That's all I'm going to say for now - got a bad cold and sneezing and typing don't go together, keep making spelling errors. Argh :(
All the best, please rest well and hope all the swellings go down. Take care!
By dazzling_twirlermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:50 AM
Gosh! Wow! I would be really scared to try tricks like that. I hope you feel better/get better soon!

~*Emily*~
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:41 PM
Yikes, that sounds pretty painful. I hope you feel better soon.
I had a scary experience with a camel spin once too. I was going into it and just slipped off my edge. My feet slipped from under me and I fell stomach first, knocked the wind out of me, and split my chin open. It was weird though because I knew I had hit my chin but I didn't know if I had split it open. I had to ask someone else if it was ok...it obviously wasn't. One of the littler girls on the session saw it and started crying so I knew it probably didn't look too good. I made the mistake of looking at it in the car mirror on the way to the hospital and it freaked me out even more because you could see the bone. Ewwwww. I had to get eight stitches, and to make things worse, I had finals that day at school (this was a morning session). I had such a headache all day. It took me a long time to even try another camel spin and even longer for me to get totally comfortable with them again. Who knew they could be so dangerous.
By Angelulu17
On Tue Jun 28, 2005 08:46 PM
i am glad you are okay! I have hurt myself and kept going like that as well, such as sprain slightly ankle and such
By PointOfNoReturnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Jul 07, 2005 03:12 PM
I ALWAYS fell! I was working on my axel once and thank goodness I was in a harness because if I wasn't it would have been nasty! But I never seriouly hurt anything, I only got millions of bruises!
By twirlerbabe48
On Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:24 PM
I hope your ok....that had to hurt

ReplySendWatch