Forum: Highland / Highland - Teachers Only

Highland - Teachers Only
Teachers Only- The Who and Why (karma: 3)
By PHD_againmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 444, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:31 AM
Made sticky by hylndlas (107168) on 2005-06-28 15:34:36 Hopefully People will read this!
Bumped by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-08-06 12:39:23

WHY

Why was a Highland Teachers board created? It was created so that teachers, young and old, new and experienced, can share what they’ve learned and learn from the experiences of others. One of the goals of this board is to open the lines of communication between Highland teachers around the world and to further the knowledge and insights of everyone.

WHO

Who is welcome to post in the Teachers Only section? If you are an Associate, a Member, a Fellow, a Judge or even an Associate in training, you are welcome to post here.
The only real criterion for posting on this board is that you teach a class. If you are in charge of a class of students, we will consider you a teacher and you are therefore welcome to post on this board.

21 Replies to Teachers Only- The Who and Why

re: Teachers Only- The Who and Why
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 08:27 AM
^

Please only post here if you meet these requirements!

Some of ya'll gave great advice but since you don't teach I had to remove it....if you have advice and you feel it may benefit the Oringal Poster please PM that person.

:)

Thanks!
Maggie
By Inspirationalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1117, member since Sun Jul 11, 2004
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 08:34 AM
I have a question. I am studying for my Associates.. hoping to take it sometime next year.. but I don't technically TEACH a class. I assist in the teaching with a few classes in my studio, but don't teach by myself, without my dance teacher there... does this qualify to be able to post here?
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 08:39 AM
The note says an Associate in training is welcome, and since Associates in training are not supposed to have their own students, then I'm sure it's fine!! :)

Great board, by the way. I am sure I will be on it often!! :)
By Inspirationalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1117, member since Sun Jul 11, 2004
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 08:42 AM
Ok thanks.. yeah, I think this was a great additiong to the 'highland' section :)
By PHD_againmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 444, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 08:46 AM
Edited by PHD_again (100309) on 2005-07-06 08:46:56
Inspirational, as long as you play an active role in the classes you assist in, you qualify to post here.
By highlandchic Comments: 2130, member since Sun Oct 05, 2003
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 08:51 AM
Maybe I never announced it but I passed my associates this year so I can post here :D
Talk about nerve wracking waiting for results in the mail, it seemed to take sooooooo long
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 08:52 AM
thanks.. yes, I usually lead the warmups/stretches every class, and of course assist with the other parts. I do plan on teaching my own classes one day. I've been planning to take my Associates for a few years now, so I'm finally going to nex year and very excited!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Wed Jul 06, 2005 09:16 AM
Sorry to those that I removed and you really do teach! lol

I did look through past post history and your profiles and didn't see anything that said you taught.

My mistake....if I happen to delete your post but you really are a teacher just PM me and I will take care of it.

Maggie
The who and why
By cassidy2 Comments: 48, member since Thu Jul 29, 2004
On Sun Jul 10, 2005 05:20 AM
I feel that retirerd teachers and adjudicaters should be allowed to post here as they have so much knowledge to pass on.
On Mon Jul 11, 2005 08:41 AM
^
Welcome than to the board!

Maggie
retired teachers and adjudicators
By lowcuttin Comments: 46, member since Fri Feb 25, 2005
On Sat Sep 02, 2006 06:59 AM
Retired teachers have so much knowledge to pass on to all of us that it is imperative they be allowed on to this site. When we stop learning it is time to retire. I have been teachng for over 20 years and I learn something at every level and even from my students. A different terminology or phrase to help them understand better, so many things. The likes of the Greats, Mrs. Adeline Duncan in Victoria, Miss Jessy Stewart in Scotland , so many wonderful retired teachers with so much to offer!
By Royalstewarthd Comments: 543, member since Sun Dec 03, 2006
On Tue May 12, 2009 10:24 AM
I posted a query on here and didn't realize that others (not just teachers) were allowed to post. I am a Fellow & Life Member of the BATD (Highland and Scottish National). I am also a member of the SDTA. I posted a query to other teachers and was shocked when I had parents responding. I would never have posted the query if I had known it was open to the general public (the parents reading knew the dancer I was referring to and made comments...this is very compromising to me and I feel unprofessional. I was hoping to get some teacher comments not parents..... I wish I had been more careful). I do not hide behind a name - I use my company name and therefore it is very apparent who I am. I have since pm'd this parent with an apology. I hope others can learn from my mistake. Jane
By K17LT_n_KABOODLE Comments: 174, member since Mon Jan 05, 2009
On Tue May 12, 2009 10:20 PM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2009-05-17 13:25:46 thread has been removed. You need to PM this member if you have an issue with them.
royalstewarthd

You were hoping to get teacher's comments and not parents?
Kinda insulting considering everyone who commented on that post had first hand knowledge or experience of the situation you wanted addressed.

I am a teacher of highland dance and have been a member of the highland dance community my entire life. Your "query" left a very bad taste in my mouth for it came across to me as a public post with a mixed agenda.

Kudos again to herecomestreble for her defense of that young dancer.
Thanks again to Ceilidh_Dance for reminding us all that the rules we follow are fair!
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Tue May 12, 2009 11:07 PM
I posted a query on here and didn't realize that others (not just teachers) were allowed to post.

Even if parents didn't post...anyone can see your replies, including students or a student you are talking about. We all need to watch the things we say on the internet because they do have a tendency to bite us in the behind. If you want to keep it off the boards then perhaps PM some of the teachers you have become acquaintances with through your interaction on the boards here.
By scottiedog440 Comments: 1877, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Wed May 13, 2009 04:36 AM
I am posting here as an apology because I did not know I had replied to a Teacher's Only posting. And, not only once but twice. I never clicked on Teacher's Only but just on Highland. My information did have value and related to the post however. I see the posting has been locked. It would seem there should be a way for 'Only Teachers' to use that section. I have used this site for quite awhile and did not know that I had done this until the original poster commented on it and locked the posting. I would not normally post in that section and am sorry to have offended any out there. I now know that by clicking on Highland you view everything and can comment on everything. I will watch more carefully in the future. Sorry all and most of all sorry Jane!
By Royalstewarthd Comments: 543, member since Sun Dec 03, 2006
On Wed May 13, 2009 07:18 AM
Edited by Royalstewarthd (171132) on 2009-05-13 07:22:39 Unable to PM this person
KNK - I am pm'ing you. Just as I wish you had pm'd your thoughts to me. I don't like that you are opening up this post again. I locked it and have admitted my error. J

Hi again. I see you are blocking me so I am unable to post a pm to you.
By booverly Comments: 1980, member since Fri Jul 02, 2004
On Wed May 13, 2009 01:46 PM
I must also admit fault and offer apologies. I am like scottiedog and use the highland section to view all new posts and didn't look at the section I was replying to.

btw, karma shouldn't be used to insult other people.
On Sun May 17, 2009 01:24 PM
Totally agreed which is why that Karma has been removed.

If you have beef with someone take it to PM's!
By emmyport Comments: 911, member since Thu Mar 13, 2008
On Thu Jan 19, 2012 08:13 AM
What is this new "private board" for teachers that costs $20 to join?
By AngieMich Comments: 30, member since Fri Jan 20, 2012
On Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:54 PM
Hi, just so that I don't get kicked off this board for not having my memebers; I am a teacher in training, my teacher is also on this board, and I do teach a class of students. :D

Comment #10161034 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2013-12-21 15:35:19 Advertising isn't free, sorry!

ReplySendWatch