Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Videos

Jazz - Videos
Point of the Jazz- Videos Forum (karma: 4)
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Sun Jul 03, 2005 05:02 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2005-07-09 21:21:34

So, by now you have all seen Alyrie's post in Jazz- General about the over-postage of Hall of Fame dances? If not, here's the link.

dance.net . . .

If you take a look around the Jazz boards. Especially in Jazz- General... it's obvious that all the Jazz-ers talk about is Hall of Fame Dances. Kind of annoying, eh? Especially when you're trying to ask a question about switch leaps or axles or whatevers. Your post always seems to get pushed down by the HOF, doesn't it? Well, problem solved! Linh gave us a Jazz- Videos board! Hoorah for Linh! Now the jazz-ers who want to watch videos, talk about provacative clothing, discuss certain dances, et cetera have a place to do it! Thanks so much, Linh!

Now-- here comes a few things to discuss.

1. Make sure you check around the video board once it gets going, just in case the video you're about to post has already been posted. A pet peeve of us at DDN is people DOUBLE posting things. Especially ask the ballet and advice boards about how annoying this gets! So double check and make sure there isn't already a discussion going on about the video you're about to post. If there is-- hop in on that discussion! Simple as pie!

and 2. Stop posting videos on the other jazz boards! Now that we have a seperate place for videos, we don't HAVE to post them on the other boards. It will just push down the important topics on ACTUAL dancing rather than watching dances. A lot of people have been having trouble asking questions about jazz turns, combinations, stretches, et cetera because jazz-ers are paying more attention to the videos rather than the questions that need answering!

Thanks so much to Linh for giving us this board and I hope everyone at DDN uses it wisely! Now, go post your videos-- and then go talk about combinations, turns, and such on the other jazz boards! Get the Jazz forums cleaned up now that we can seperate things a little better!

Happy Jazzing!

18 Replies to Point of the Jazz- Videos Forum

re: Point of the Jazz- Videos Forum
By danceandrockduhmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 584, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Sun Jul 03, 2005 08:06 PM
I just wanted to give a big all caps THANKS to Linh! I love Hall of Fame as much as the next person, but the jazz boards are for jazz questions and comments... not videos!

~kits
By Breannemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2041, member since Sun May 08, 2005
On Sun Jul 03, 2005 08:53 PM
Good point but.... the reason why people put HOF vidios under the general jazz catagory is because it gets more attention, you are more likely to get feedback on the vidio and comments. For example I did not even know that this catagory existed until today! If people could get this catagory to be more popular good on ya! but for now I think people are just going to stick to the general catagory for posting vidios.
Breanne :)
By Breannemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2041, member since Sun May 08, 2005
On Sun Jul 03, 2005 08:58 PM
^ god im soo dumb! just toatally ignore that last comeant! all of it
By DanceWithMe663member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1875, member since Wed May 26, 2004
On Sun Jul 03, 2005 09:43 PM
Thank youuuu.

bout time. lol
By StAr_1_DaNcEr Comments: 105, member since Fri Mar 11, 2005
On Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:09 AM
SORRY! I didnt see this post when I first came into this Forum! EXCUSE ME!!! AGAIN SORRY!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:42 AM
What if we show someone a video to get there input? Do we post it here or onthe jazz board?
By dancingrl247 Comments: 2989, member since Fri Sep 26, 2003
On Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:47 AM
thanks good idea! it never really bothered me but now they'll all be in one place!
By MuffinHeadmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5172, member since Thu Jun 10, 2004
On Mon Jul 04, 2005 03:26 PM
jazz_lover -- You'd put the video here. The whole point of this forum was to stop the 'What do you think?'s' and 'Is this too provacative?'s'

No more videos should be on the other jazz boards.
By dance_queen001member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 910, member since Sun Jan 11, 2004
On Mon Jul 04, 2005 04:38 PM
This will be of great help to people who want to ask questions! And it will be easier for people who just want to watch videos!
By LilDancerGalmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 269, member since Sat Jan 24, 2004
On Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:06 PM
Good post!!!! I think it should be made sticky saying that it is kind of like the rules for this board!
LilDancerGal
By DanceFreak247 Comments: 2519, member since Thu Dec 30, 2004
On Tue Jul 05, 2005 07:52 AM
This was a good idea. I just hope new people and others who aren't frequent posters here know to come in here and not the Jazz - Competitions board to post HOF videos or Showstopper videos.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Jul 05, 2005 02:03 PM
MOds Can you please make this sticky?
Jazz Video Forum
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2268, member since Tue Sep 21, 2004
On Tue Jul 05, 2005 03:58 PM
Edited by TEAM_MOM (107102) on 2005-07-05 16:08:13 As the Dance World Turns "episode two"
Edited by TEAM_MOM (107102) on 2005-07-05 16:11:12 Hyper text yuckie stuff
I've PM'd the mods asking them to move all the threads that contain video info that are currently on the first pages of the beginner and general boards over to here. Please :D Including my own on the beginner site. This is a nice board - and really needed.

There is one commment I want to make. If someone on the general board asks me how to do a fouette or another step, I will send them a link to places like American or Penn ballet sites that have those video clips available for educational purposes, as well as a link to other sources including my own. I'll also send others. That is exceptable. I will not start a new thread on that of course.

Myself I <b>don't</b> generally pick out one website over another - because I collect links from all around the globe, and I try to include as many dance catagories in my listing as well. The way I generally post is to notify of any NEW DANCE WEBSITES WITH DANCE CLIP LINKS - I also use the same thread over and over. I don't create a new thread each time, thereby overloading the site, and pissing people off.

This is a good forum, yet, we still need to use it wisely and not overkill with the same clips from the same source. Everyone needs a chance to be heard and seen. Look at something new today - look into tap and hip hop, or explore belly dancing and stomp. Hey don't just stop with jazz and lyrical. Broaden your dancing horizons. :D Chow and all jazz TEAM MOM

Point of the Jazz- Videos Forum
By TEAM_MOMmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2268, member since Tue Sep 21, 2004
On Thu Jul 07, 2005 06:44 AM
So, how do you like the forum now? Our lovely mods moved everything today..... Makes it look lived in, homey in a way. :D

KIcks feet back and watches the showstopper stream... LIVE :D Cup of coffee in one hand, links pages marked, and a herseys candy bar for breakfast. I'm all set - bring on the dance.
By valley06 Comments: 660, member since Fri Aug 20, 2004
On Thu Jul 07, 2005 02:42 PM
LOVE this forum! Genius idea!!
By julieS2 Comments: 24, member since Mon Jul 04, 2005
On Sat Aug 27, 2005 04:56 AM
So it is!
By the way, is anyone of you to be seen in this video-gallery?
Promotional Video
By NGVproductions Comments: 1, member since Wed Aug 06, 2008
On Wed Aug 06, 2008 03:52 PM
Hello Im new to this forum, so i will introduce myself as a entertainer who has been in the industry for over 20 years. (yeah yeah yeah I know im gettin gold! ha ha )
which is why i have now after spending my career as a pro entertainer performing along side many Latin, Ballet, & Jazz dancers in Multi-million dollar stage productions all over the world.. i have now celebrated my 5 year anniversary of my new Company
Next Generation Video Productions, it is my backup for when i am too old to perform along side all you young good looking dancers! ha ha

anyway i specialize in Producing Promotional Videos, DVD's & Web Videos for the Entertainment Industry. If any of you are looking (or know someone who is looking) for a New or there FIRST, Promotional DVD we are your one stop shop.

NGVproductions.com we produce not only videos but HTML website design, 8x10 Photo Headshots, Brochures, Business cards & more..

and let me tell you, from someone who has been in the offices of the major Companies, like Cruise Lines, & Stage shows, there wall is full of hundreds of Videos so if you really want the job, you simply cannot send a Homemade video of you dancing with your mom shaking the camera around in a dodgy boring 12 min clip!

weather you use us, or another company, PLEASE get it done by a pro!

You will find out prices very reasonable & are quality unsurpassed, email me at promovideos@mac.com and feel free to ask any questions about the industry & promotional material, & i hope to see you at NGVproductions.com --BYE
& GOOD LUCK!

Comment #9382956 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-01-01 15:05:32 You make your own thread with your video in it, you don't post it here

ReplySendWatch