Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Breaking in New Skates
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 09:45 PM

Err this is probably the worst part of new skates the blisters!!... I know how to make them better but it really sucks breaking them down?
anyone else get blisters from certain brand skates or just every pair you get give you blisters when you start out
-katrina

7 Replies to Breaking in New Skates

re: Breaking in New Skates
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:06 PM
Every pair of skates I've ever owned were killer to break in. I'm so jealous of those people that can get on the ice with new skates for the first time and whip out all their jumps and spins like nothing. It took me at least two weeks for my new skates to feel normal. I always got nasty blisters and my feet were incredibly sore, so don't feel bad, you're not alone. The best remedy I found for blisters was soaking them in Dreft, it's a laundry detergent for babies I think. It always made my feet feel a little better.
By skatendance
On Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:27 PM
Things that help:
- get extra bumping where you are getting the blisters in case the shape of your foot and not just the stiffness of the boot are contributing to them.
- clean out any blisters that break using salt water or ointment. Place bandaids and then moleskin over the top of the blisters when you skate so that they don't become irritated and further infected, and at other times let them air out.
- Wear Second Skin- its used to treat burns, over the blisters. Cover it with moleskin and it works wonders.
- Wear Gel Socks- can be purchased from skating stores. I find them quite helpful and they can be reused.
- get some thin large sandwich bags. Stick each of your feet in one, and put your foot in the boot. This tends to make the inside warmer and more comfortable since your foot won't rub in a hurting way against the inside of the boot (will slide instead of getting stuck, irritated and thus blistering).
- use lambs wool similar to how you would use it for pointe shoes.

Hope that helps :) I've had many a blister from my skates too
On Fri Jul 15, 2005 01:37 AM
i have the gel sock thing.. but i've lost it! lol but i'm trying the little pads with the second skin for tomorroww
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:19 AM
Hey, I hope your feet and ankles are feeling better. I strangely haven't had blisters from breaking in new skates. So I assume my skates are lousy/don't fit me right? Oh well. My friends used to put cans in their skates and tie them really tight to get a shape in the ankle a part. These are for cheaper skates and may not be such a good idea because it isn't really the shape of your foot.
They also used gel pads over their ankles.
Good luck
By sarina84
On Fri Jul 15, 2005 02:38 PM
Hi Katreeann!
I had the same problems so I decided to change to another brand of skates.
Now I have EDEA skates. I really love them.
I stepped on the ice on the first day and was able to jump all my triples like nothing.
This year I bought a new pair of them and there wasn't any difference. I was able to jump and spin on the first day.
So maybe you can find another brand of skates that fits you better.
I hope you will find a way to fight your blisters, because I remember that they also made me cry so often :)
Good Luck!!!
On Fri Jul 15, 2005 05:54 PM
I was able to jump all my doubles, which is all i know how to do... my coach is helping me, and i'm going to go back to were i bought them and see what they have to say...
On Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:57 PM
I finally found out what was causing the blister, it was there was to much room in the back of my heel width wise but it was fine in the front, soo I got my skates re modleed and tightned in the back i hope it helps

ReplySendWatch