Forum: Latin America / Latin America - General

Brazil
By jojo24
On Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:36 PM

Do you guys have hip hop music and dance in brazil? I have only seen the carnivals but it is more of an erotic dance.

5 Replies to Brazil

re: Brazil
By DreamingTreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 06:16 PM
Pardon, but Carnival is not 'erotic dance'. I prefer to assume that you don't know it well.
Plus, carnival is not a dance. It's a celebration. Which is HUGE here. In Carnival many ways of dance are used: samba, axé,and MANY other regional dances. Brazil has TONS.
Maybe you should have researched before making this thread, because I found it very discriminating.
Sorry if that was not your intention, but I took it that way.
By jojo24
On Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:47 PM
I am sorry to make you feel discriminated. I was just wondering if rap, hip hop, breakdancing,etc... is in Brazil. My best friends husband is from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and I have never heard him talk about rap or hip hop in Brazil. Everytime that I go to visit them he is watching the Brazilian channel on TV and I see the game shows and the carnivals, where the girls are dancing. The type of dance that they do is sexy like, along with the costumes. No one said that this was a bad thing. I think that they look good and so do the guys. What I was asking was what is the popularity of hip hop in Brazil? I would love to go to a carnival. I was not saying that I think that is the only dance in Brazil. I know that their are others. I was wondering about hip hop. Sorry.
By DreamingTreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:10 AM
It's alright, I understand your point now. Sorry to take you in a wrong way.

Yes, there's hip hop and rap around here, with dances and so on. We have brazilian rap, it's a bit different from the american one though. American is very popular around here.
And hip hop dance is called street dance here.
By kathryn66
On Fri Aug 26, 2005 06:44 AM
I'm coming to Brazil in less than five months..all the way from Australia. I just cant wait to try all these things and celebrate in those Carnivales ..ahh im so excited!! lol :)
Defend your culture
By Diallo
On Wed Sep 07, 2005 01:38 AM
That was not a negative response, you heard exactly what I heard in the writer's words, and it is true that people outside of a particular culture are given the wrong ideas of the culture, plus you did put it right about HIP HOP, it is called Street Dance, Hip Hop is the culture in which street dance comes from......we all must begin to study, and stop the doing for doing sake.

ReplySendWatch