Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

The mystery of figure skating...
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jul 19, 2005 03:58 PM

Maybe it's just me (and it's very likely that it is) but I swear that it's almost impossible to have a day when everything works.

Now, I'm not complaining or anything, but I think its absolutely fascinating that one day I can nail certain elements and other days its like I've never done those elements at all. The opposite of that is also true.

Here's what I mean. Since Thursday night I've been working on improving my flip jump (yay!) and I've continued to work on my camel spin to no avail. My loop jump totally disappeared, so has my waltz jump, my scratch spin travels like crazy but my sit spin is getting better and better each and every time as is my toe loop and salchow.

Today everything seemed to be the exact opposite. Scratch spins were still travelly, but not as bad. My waltz jump was still kind of "eh", but slightly improved compared to Saturday, but at the same time not as good as two or three weeks ago. Any attempts at the flip jump were met with under/over rotation or two foot landings (one VERY sloppy one foot). And my beloved sit spin - non-existant. I couldn't get around one revolution, and I couldn't sit at all. Yet my camel spins were MUCH better today, and I was able to do a couple of 3 rev camels with much better body position. I even had a girl tell me "nice camel!", so the fact that she could even recognize what it was marked a vast improvement. I was also able to do amazing (for me) loop jumps. Toe loops were just as good, but salchows were sad, resulting in many two footed landings.

I know that no one is "on" all the time (except maybe pros and higher level skaters) but is it common for elements to disappear like this? The ice was kind of crappy today, and I need a skate sharpening...plus I was wearing jeans...but this isn't the first time I've had elements completely disappear only to come back a session or two later. It's just a strange phenomenon and I wonder if anyone else experiences this?

The good news is that I know if I've done something once I'll be able to do it again so I'll be back in business with my sit spin, flip, and anything else that disappeared today, I just find it so strange. And I was really looking forward to improving my flip today. If nothing else, I got a chance to work on my loop.

Okay, enough rambling, just wanted to share and possibly get some feedback :)

p.s. still working on getting my video up on the net...can't seem to find the cable for the video camera to transfer the data

3 Replies to The mystery of figure skating...

re: The mystery of figure skating...
By twirlerbabe48
On Tue Jul 19, 2005 06:10 PM
Im not a skater, but I totally understand about how somedays you can be a pro at a certain element and the next day it can be like you just started it five minutes ago.

Sometimes I experience this when I twirl. Like for example, I can nail a six-spin one day and the next day its horrible.

-Mandy
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:00 PM
I know what you mean,
and especially when it comes close to compeition time, two skates before everything is perfect, one skate before i lost everything and got frusterated left it at that then the next day it was so so
so everything goes back and forth
By Jumpmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:30 AM
Yup. I lost my flip just before a big competition and I didn't get it back till much later. For me, the reason for losing things is I forget an essential part - like waiting 2 counts for my 3turn on salchows, pulling my arms back and apart (instead of back and up) on my camel, bending too low on my flip, OR if I am sick - can't tell if I'm centered or not, and everything goed off balance.
At least I can correct what I'm doing wrong, or someone can point it out to me, but I hate hate being sick and knowing there is NOTHING I can do, but hope that when I get better the element also miraculously comes back.

Yes you can 'lose' things that you had - like in one season, Sasha Cohens opening triple lutz I think. It was rather sad to watch such a capable skater mess up on her opening jump, for quite a few competitions of that season (can't remember which) but as far as I know, she's got it back now :D. If she can, so can you!

ReplySendWatch