Forum: General / Hip Hop / Hip Hop - Advanced

Hip Hop - Advanced
How do you cope with disrespect in a battle?
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 09:03 AM

I know there is a battle section, but not much of this issue is covered. Someone says just don't touch anyone, but they don't specify on how to deal with it, so...

The story and background...

First of all, I'm dead serious about this question. Last night I was at a dance. Everything was going normal at the dance and then there was a battle as soon as I walked up on this stage like place. Every one turned their head and looked and me, I'm assuming they recognized me. They then wanted me to dance and so I did.

Then another dancer joined into the fray and it became a one on one battle. Honestly he had nothing on me whatsoever. He had a butt pop, and a little bit of a wave and thats it.

The Issue

But the main issue is that he physically pushed me. Now being me, I don't strike back. I simply stand there while others say that I have to get back at him. (besides I wouldn't want to obliterate him with my Tae Kwon Do moves)
Now I really want to know how to cope with this issue, I think there is a better way to deal with it rather then just standing there like I did. I automatically assumed that this guy was not educated whatsoever in the history of dancing and that he had no desire to respect its culture.

I'll tell you this... I was angry inside (Keitsu was an upset asian boy that night *pouts*). I don't know why it offended me so much... maybe it was because it was the first time it had happened. I know most of you probably have more battle experience then I have and im sure most of you have encountered a similar situation.

Your advice and time is cherished deeply... and I know this guy will challenge me soon again.

P.S. this is slightly off topic but when I post a video up do you think it would be better to post it here in the advanced section so that others don't take or bite my moves?

8 Replies to How do you cope with disrespect in a battle?

re: How do you cope with disrespect in a battle?
By iH0p Comments: 562, member since Wed Aug 04, 2004
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:49 AM
i think what you did takes a lot of self control. the most common reaction to a shove is a beat down, which i can't say is surprising. but, i think it's better not to start a fight in the middle of a club. makes you look like the bigger man. truth is, the best way to get 'em back is probably by serving them. might as well hit him in the pride by humiliating him in a battle.

coppelia

PS wouldn't matter where you post your video because anyone can view the advanced section, but not everyone can post in it. so if you wanted to keep more people from commenting then by all means... otherwise it won't matter. but i doubt many people on here would be able to bite off much if we're talking bboying
By AyDee Comments: 263, member since Tue Jun 07, 2005
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:31 PM
i respect you for not pushing him back or anything while in battle. ive had a similar experience and i got so pissed off, like really heated. but i didnt hit him or push him back, instead i did what copellia above had stated i humiliated him in front of a good 200 people. you shouldve seen the amount of people laughing at him. i enjoyed the well deserved victory.

so yeah standing there isnt the best way to cope with it but beating him on your turf is always a way to go at it.

again... props.

aydee
By Keitsumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 100, member since Tue Jan 04, 2005
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:33 PM
Thanks for the reply IHOP, Yeah I did what I thought was right, and then I did another round of dancing to finish it. I just don't know... after he did the butt popping thing people went crazy, I don't know whats so impressive about it. However I could tell I still had the peoples favor afterwards, considering the comments and feedback that I got. But at that momment in time I really did not care about the feedback, I wanted to tell him that its not respectful at all... even in everyday life you shouldn't be pushing people around.

This was a popping/funk style battle not a bboy battle. I was tempted to do an airchair during the battle though, but I have no intention of showing others bboying yet until this upcoming year. From what I read in the definition of a battle post that Invent put up... I read that you shouldn't mix the two styles in a battle and so I didn't. But that raises an issue about what you call "Party dancing" Was my opponent party dancing when he did the butt popping? Why would I not have the right to throw in a twist of style if he did that? Or does this just go with being a true dancer?

Thanks for the suggestion about the movie, people can bite because it would be a funkstyle video not bboying (which I can see why you could have assumed that because of my Bboying/bgirling tutorial post).
By SpellieDev Comments: 480, member since Thu Jul 28, 2005
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 06:23 PM
dude i TOTALLY feel you on this one. i was in a popping battle with this one kid at some grad party and he did this move that *lightly* slapped my face (and everyone was all like whoaaaa). i was so SEETHING pissed....i seriously wanted to stomp his face in. but the round right after, i utterly humiliated the guy cuz he didnt have enough moves to back up his inflated ego. much props for keeping it on the floor when things get heated, that takes some serious disipline.
By Invent Comments: 1693, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Mon Aug 15, 2005 07:04 PM
I almost let loose on a dude for doing that... a couple homies had to grab me before i got to him...

You GOTTA try and do what you did... maybe talk with the person afterwards.. let them you you almsot beat them down... and that they shouldnt do that...
Invent
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:47 AM
Edited by SpellieDev (137235) on 2005-08-16 01:49:19 won't let me use html to post pictures, so i just put the address
Edited by SpellieDev (137235) on 2005-08-16 01:50:28 tried to post a pic, but it's not happening
(tried to post a pic, but it's not happening)
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:52 AM
Edited by SpellieDev (137235) on 2005-08-16 01:52:57 tried again, no luck
aargh....nevermind
By BBoy_Skribble Comments: 261, member since Wed Sep 24, 2003
On Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:17 PM
I CAN'T STAND IT! When people touch you in any kind of battle that @%#! is sooo disrespectful and yeah the first thing you really wanna do, is give 'em an a$$ whoopin' but then you think, "I gotta be the bigger person in this situation!"

Man, you handle yourself properly forreal! All dancers go through at one point and all you can do is laugh it off later... because hey, you probably served that cat anyways, right! Stay positive and keep the funk alive my man!

Skribblez (back on da boards!!!)

ReplySendWatch