Forum: Arts / Books

Books
Please state it if you're going to use a spoiler! (karma: 8)
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:22 PM
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2005-07-21 17:58:30

Okay, I am not trying to drag this on...but I just had a book ruined for me. I understand that some of you like to read spoilers before you read the book. I understand that people want to discuss a book after reading it.

But not all of us are that way. I am in the middle of a very good book, I clicked a thread about it only to read about something I never even got to. So, of course, I am angry.

Please people, if you're going to state anything about the book that is big, put "SPOILER!" in the title. People want to be able to read their books without accidentally stumbling on something about it that they didn't get to yet.

Be considerate of other people. I am sure that you don't want something spoiled for you, so think before you post.

Think about the following:

Does your post give away anything important about the book?
Does it mention someone dying?
Does it mention someone turning good/evil?
Does it mention a major event in the book?

If you said yes, do us ALL a favor and put "SPOILER!" in your title.

14 Replies to Please state it if you're going to use a spoiler!

re: Please state it if you're going to use a spoiler!
By groovytwinsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14170, member since Fri Dec 26, 2003
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 06:20 AM
I totally agree, there's nothing worse than not having started a book or being half-way through it and reading what happens next... Especially with the biggest book of the year :?

I hope you can still enjoy the rest of the book!

Love Patricia
x
By DefyingGravityPremium member Comments: 5265, member since Sun Jan 19, 2003
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:29 AM
HAHA I love how a few hours after you posted this someone made a post giving away the entiredy of Harry Potter 6 and didn't put a spoiler warning.

Brilliant, people, brilliant.
By TwinkleToesies Comments: 737, member since Wed Apr 23, 2003
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:38 PM
I'm not trying to be rude, and I understand that you are upset parts of the book were given away, but I think in the future that you should stay away from all threads concerning the book and series you are reading. If you are not finished with book 6 it would be smart to stay away from all harry potter threads until you are done. And just think, the time you aren't spending looking at these threads you could be using to finish the book!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:40 PM
It doesn't matter if I should stay away from them...

What matters is that it is inconsiderate to not warn someone about if there is a spoiler in your post.

It's not the person's fault that read the unmarked spoiler for having something spoiled, it's the posters fault.
By dwynwenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 800, member since Sat Jan 24, 2004
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 01:44 PM
Why should she have to dodge posts? I think she is totally right about the spoilers.

Karma to PoT!

erinx
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11321, member since Sun Nov 23, 2003
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 01:49 PM
I requested that this be made a sticky--I hate it when people give things away! It completely ruins the experience. Before I had picked up Books Four and Five, I had already known who died in each book, and it marred the experience of reading the books for me, since they *are* mystery stories. Just to be sure, I steered clear of the internet when it came time to read Book Six!

Thanks for saying this, PoT.

Dani
By Orangesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4291, member since Wed Jun 23, 2004
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 01:56 PM
You are totally right PoT! Karma for you!

Sarah
By odile_odettemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1996, member since Wed Jul 03, 2002
On Thu Jul 21, 2005 02:03 PM
Thank you PoT. I too had the book ruined for me. Im really annoyed about that, it lets down the whole book when your half way through and you already know the outcome. Good post, it should be made a sticky.

And TwinkleToesies- it was kinda hard to miss that spolier when its on the main forum page. Its the active poll, so I didnt have to click it to read it all, it was all there on the main page for everyone to see.
By iluvballroom Comments: 209, member since Sun Jun 13, 2004
On Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:30 PM
ok yeah but isnt it common sense that because the 6th harry potter book came out and by now lots of people would have finished reading it, that the thread about theories for book 7 would contain information given in book 6? to avoid having the book spoiled me and my cousin just didnt go on any harry potter threads at all until we finished the book.
On Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:24 AM
Oi people, it doesn't matter what you think common sense may be! Good gosh, read what has already been said.

It is inconsiderate NOT to mark your threads!
By x_Nic_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2157, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Mon Jun 02, 2008 02:25 PM
I'm not trying to be rude, and I understand that you are upset parts of the book were given away, but I think in the future that you should stay away from all threads concerning the book and series you are reading. If you are not finished with book 6 it would be smart to stay away from all harry potter threads until you are done. And just think, the time you aren't spending looking at these threads you could be using to finish the book!

Ha, that is exactly why I stayed off the internet completely the day the last Potter book came out.

But possible spoilers that could reach me weren't always something as narrow as threads.

I mean, the night before, my friend said she heard some rumours about the last book. We were chatting online. I said "don't tell me anything!" she said "ok, but here's what I heard..." and told me everything.

I could have killed her! True, only one of her spoilers was actually right, but it was still a spoiler nonetheless. Mind you, that spoiler in particular I wish HAD been just a rumour, because it seemed spectacularly lame.

SPOILER (err, maybe?)

Harry Potter 7 epilogue - urgh.
By danzadancer2285 Comments: 1030, member since Wed Jul 11, 2007
On Mon Jun 02, 2008 04:04 PM
I wholeheartedly agree!

Also, please state what the spoiler is going to be about. I'm not looking for a full paragraph describing the spoiler, just a short sentence that says "Spoiler about Chapter 3" or something. If I don't know what the spoiler is about, I am likely to click it out of curiosity.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3157, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Mon Jun 02, 2008 04:31 PM
Especially since we have the lovely little spoiler button. You could just start your post, and say "I loved XYZ book because..." and the have the rest in the spoiler. Though being a little specific is a good thing "Spoiler for chapter 3"

However, there are also people who take great pleasure in announcing to the world the ending of a book or movie, just so they can ruin it for other people.

I'm the type that doesn't even read the dust jacket on a book I've really been looking forward too, because often those have horrid spoilers, and while I love movie previews, I hate the ones that give away the best moments of the movie.
By dancegal2002 Comments: 924, member since Tue Feb 11, 2003
On Wed May 20, 2009 01:18 AM
Good idea,don't need to know unless i've read the book! lol

ReplySendWatch