Forum: Irish / Irish - Champs

Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3
re: For those senior dancers who assist teaching, here is my advice.
By E6000Investor Comments: 21, member since Tue Sep 21, 2010
On Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:42 AM
This is an old post but still very relevant. So well thought out and helpful, especially at this time of year when classes (at least here in the States) are starting back. thank you very much.
By mcbrittle Comments: 10, member since Sat Sep 25, 2010
On Sat Sep 25, 2010 08:19 PM
I've seen this before as well... I've seen some critical (not always constructive) at feisana of girls helping younger dancers.
By Mara_ Comments: 41, member since Thu Jun 05, 2008
On Mon Oct 25, 2010 07:56 AM
I know someone else already wrote about this on the other page, but if you are in the situation that you're teaching th same class(es) with another dancer, make sure you are both on the same page, because if not, things might get really difficult. For example, make sure both of you know the names of the dancers and that you are both visibly interested in all the dancers. Never let one of you two favour in a really really obvious way a certain dancer. Also, make sure you all have the same concept of what a good program would be, especially if your TC isn't in the same city/country as your school and you don't have a total contact with them all the time. This is extremely important.
By AKirishbabe_716 Comments: 128, member since Thu Aug 04, 2005
On Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:54 AM
THANK YOU!!!! I am teaching classes for the next 6 weeks :)
By knotirish Comments: 21, member since Sat Apr 10, 2010
On Mon Jul 25, 2011 08:53 PM
Wow, thank you for such good advice! My daughter assists with beginner classes, and I'm sure she'll find this post very useful.
By kate_monster Comments: 117, member since Thu Jul 28, 2011
On Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:35 AM
What a fun post! I used to teach gymnastics and lots of the things are totally the same. Parents, little kids, patience, etc. It's very rewarding though!
By manymacs Comments: 13, member since Mon Apr 23, 2012
On Sun May 13, 2012 11:00 AM
My oldest daughter that dances is student teaching and she loves every minute of it! This post has been very helpful to her so i would like to say thank you for posting this!!
By scrapola Comments: 35, member since Fri Jan 06, 2012
On Mon May 14, 2012 10:07 AM
I teach beginners and it is very important to be patient. We want to sometimes come in and just whip everyone into shape. It is a process. This is the most important advice. Also new beginners need a lot of encouragement. If they feel they are not making progress or enjoying themsleves they will quit.
By scrapola Comments: 35, member since Fri Jan 06, 2012
On Mon May 14, 2012 10:11 AM
I agree hardshoe is hard to teach! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
By Clarabellmarie Comments: 8, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Tue Sep 04, 2012 07:44 PM
Good advice i find it very useful to have a wee d-brief with the kids at the end of class too and remind them what to practice!
By IvyDancer Comments: 79, member since Tue Sep 20, 2011
On Sat Jun 29, 2013 06:25 PM
If you have siblings in the class do not correct them too much! I did this because I felt more comfortable correcting my sister then some of the other kids. Make sure to give corrections to everyone and also to offer everyone encouragement.
By amatob4 Comments: 25, member since Sat Apr 21, 2007
On Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:40 PM
Excellent points as to keeping in mind not to always give negative comments. Some girls are having some confidence issues and the negativity only hurts.
By tinydancer1988 Comments: 125, member since Mon Oct 21, 2013
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 01:47 PM
When I was in high school (probably around the time this thread was started) I had been dancing for a while, and I was one of the only "senior dancers" in the school. So when my teacher fell ill, and the main assistant was working (she usually only did the second class), it fell to me to teach the first class with all of the beginners.

My dance teacher would call my mom about 20 mins before class was to begin, we would grab my boombox, and head to class. After a few weeks of this, I came to expect it.

My mother was a band teacher, and she had a few suggestions. The first was name tags. I am HORRIBLE with names, and this gave some incentive for the kids to get to class early (if they got their early, they got to decorate their own. If not, I just wrote their name for them).
The second suggestion was incentives. I bought sticker sheets for each season and holiday, and gave them generously for little things (the kids were always excited. Some of them even started sticker books so that they could start collecting).
The final thing that she told me was to make sure to make the learning fun, and watch the kids' learning styles. Every kid learns differently. Some pick things up naturally, some need to do things over and over, and others I literally had to tap the rhythm gently on their head while they were dancing (it actually worked! Once they felt the rhythm, the heard the rhythm, and could dance the rhythm).

The hardest things were the parents, and not expecting too much. I'm a perfectionist, and wanted to correct every little thing the kids did, but I had to limit myself to working on one or two things per day so I didn't overload them. The parents, for the most part, were really cool, and they all really liked me, but there had to be definitely boundaries between the waiting room and classroom.

I have, on occasion, run across parents from heck in other things that I do. One time when I was teaching swimming classes, a parent literally yelled at me right in front of the class for calling her child "Spence" instead of "Spencer." Talk about an over-reaction. I understand that she didn't like the nick-name, but she didn't need to do that in front of the kids. I bit my tongue and kept teaching, and had my supervisor have a conversation with her after the class was over (definitely the best way to handle evil parents- sic the highest authority on them [i.e. the dance teacher]. They are usually much better prepared to handle the situation).
By mmkjt Comments: 22, member since Sat Apr 09, 2011
On Tue Apr 29, 2014 01:50 PM
I think assisting helps your perspective on your own dancing and practice habits as well.
Patience is key and you will begin to form a whole new appreciation for your teacher!
By mrstaggart Comments: 24, member since Fri Sep 04, 2015
On Fri Sep 11, 2015 06:27 AM
Great post. My daughter aspires to be a senior dancing assistant in a couple of years; this is really helpful advice for her.
Page:
Page 3 of 31 2 3

ReplySendWatch