Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

I have weak ankles...any help?
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 23, 2005 08:10 PM
Locked by alybookworm (135262) on 2005-08-14 15:24:54 question answered

I just started ice-skating, and my coach says I'm pretty good, but my ankles keep turning in instead of going straight. I know a little turned in is ok, but not as much as mine are, so I asked my coach, and she said I have weak ankles. Does anyone know how to strangthen them???

3 Replies to I have weak ankles...any help?

re: I have weak ankles...any help?
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jul 24, 2005 09:38 AM
I think most people suffer from this when they first start out. I didn't have weak ankles from years of dancing, but the tendency is to "turn in" on your inside edge for security. It's a common problem that I think almost everyone has when they first start that goes away as you get comfortable on the ice. If you're really interested in strengthening your ankles in general the ballet board has some good tips - but personally I think its a comfort level and not a strength issue. I have very strong ankles from pointe but when I started out I still had a lot of difficulty doing anything but an inside edge. Keep practicing, it'll come.

The other thing is to make sure your boots are laced properly and that they have enough support to keep you upright. Even if you have so-called "weak" ankles your boot should be supportive enough so that you don't completely turn in when they're laced properly.

Hope this helps!
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:46 AM
It most likely could be your skates, they dont have enough strenght for you and might be worn down... you should go to your skate people where i live its skaters edge and ask them what they can suggest, get advice from the people that know bext, not just anyone, becuase they could be wrong
By skatendance
On Fri Aug 12, 2005 07:09 PM
I agree your skates need to be supportive and your blades need to be able to help you hold the edge. If your skates are flopping/too flexible at the sides if they happen to be a starter pair, you'll need to move up to a better boot that will not break down as easily.

Off the ice practice releves on to your toes and rotating your ankles as that helps to strengthen them as well.

Best of luck :)

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed