Forum: General / Hip Hop / Capoeira

How I discovered Capoeira......
By jlmodel
On Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:05 PM

Years ago I was watching T.V. and saw a commercial for this movie that was going to be released soon called "Only The Strong", and I was just amazed at what I saw the main actor, Mark Daccass(if I spelled it right)doing. I was big time impressed. I saw the movie and was and still have been hooked on this martial art. It has been amazing to see Capoeira show up everywhere; music videos, commercials, video games(Tekken), movies and so forth. What amazed me even more was how similar break dancing looked like Capoeira. And then I come to discover that break dancing is a shoot off of Capoeira and not the other way around. I love Capoeira and look forward to seeing it continue to grow and spread.

12 Replies to How I discovered Capoeira......

re: How I discovered Capoeira......
By mantismag
On Thu Jul 28, 2005 06:33 PM
not exactly. they evolved independently. capoeira long before breakdancing of course. however modern breakdancers borrow quite a bit from capoeira.
By jlmodel
On Thu Jul 28, 2005 07:51 PM
Edited by jlmodel (137141) on 2005-07-28 19:52:55 I wanted to re-word it.
Capoeira came wayyyyyy before breakdancing was even thought off. I know. Obviously break-dancing takes a lot from Capoeira.

JL
How I Discovered Capoeira......
By Marie1
On Wed Aug 03, 2005 06:09 PM
I discovered capoeira kind of the same way as you did jlmodel except I saw the movie because I have it.
By jlmodel
On Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:12 PM
Yeah I really liked it. I had the soundtrack to it long ago. I don't know what happened to it. But yes, after I saw that movie, I started practicing it.

JL
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 01:57 PM
I'm just starting to investigate it and research it more. I am highly intrigued, because of the mixture of martial arts, gymnastics, and dance. From the CrazyShit video, Man! I am IMPRESSED!

Shhhh -- doah!
By jlmodel
On Tue Aug 16, 2005 06:27 PM
I'm just starting to investigate it and research it more. I am highly intrigued, because of the mixture of martial arts, gymnastics, and dance. From the CrazyShit video, Man! I am IMPRESSED!
____

Same here. I am very intrigued as well. I was a Tae Kwon Do fanatic all the way but then I saw Capoeira and was like WOW!!
Yeah that CRAZYSHIT VIDEO was amazing. I am still impressed with those guys.

JL
By soul_ice
On Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:37 PM
what i just find amazing is how gymnastics found its way into breakin & capoeria there just so differant. breakin & capoeria (the dance style of it not the marial art yes there are two sections of it) are both very rythmic and maove with the beat while gym duz not even use music its all about poise skill strength and karisma (all of which are involved in dance but dancers need rytm while gymnasts need more emphasis on poise and charisma). personally i think its veryy cool how such different sports combined.
By BboyScorpio
On Wed Oct 19, 2005 01:57 PM
I like to use Capoeira in a breakin battle because if I lose the breakin battle, then I'll just beat em up.....then cuddle.
By Muthu
On Wed Dec 07, 2005 09:17 PM
There are some martial arts movements that are similar to capoeira.. i believe there is something in karate called katta where you sort of spar with your partner... My belief was that those two look similar.
By Mickii
On Sat Dec 10, 2005 08:02 AM
interesting!!!
By nix_xo
On Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:06 PM
i had neva heard of this type of dancing till i looked at this blogg area, i sounds really interesting
By Invent
On Sat Dec 24, 2005 06:04 PM
Well... the first.. and main thing to learn about capoeira... is that... first and foremost, it is not a dance.

It is a Martial Art.

Martial meaning (and i hate being mr. dictionary definition..but..):
1. Of, relating to, or suggestive of war.
2. Relating to or connected with the armed forces or the profession of arms.
3. Characteristic of or befitting a warrior.

The art of a warrior.

There is much that is not understood about Capoeira because it is seen as a dance... it is actually a deadly form of hand to hand combat.

It was disguised as a dance because the slaves in brazil did not want their captors to know they could defend themselves... (or it would mean certain death for them...). So they disguised it as a dance...
It really is two people sparing. Just hidden by the fact that there are drums, they do not make contact with one another and there is a circle of "onlookers".

Another thing to consider when linking bboying and capoeira... is that bboying was started in the hood. The people that created this dance where COMPLETELY UNAWARE of the existence of capoeria...

Later... after kung fu films entered the realm of bboying... is when capoeira started to enter it... (particularly on the west coast where all thepower moves were being developed....).

So..... the most important facts:

Capoeira is a deadly martial art before it is a dance.

The existence of capoeira was not known by the bboys who created bboying. So don't say "oh they're so similar... that's where breaking came from!!!" Because that statement is incorrect and untrue.

Peaz
Invent

ReplySendWatch